By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Hybrid Blu-Ray: Plays in DvD Player (The 2004 Idea)

Personally I think the digital copy idea is 100x better than this. Putting it on the same disc is just a bad idea. If they gave you a DVD and a Blu-Ray, yeah, that would be nice (if it was cheap), but the problem is that it wouldn't be cheap.

Having it on the same disc makes the disc look a lot uglier, makes it more likely to get smudged and scratched, and worst of all limits the movie to just being a BD-25 movie rather than a BD-50.

Digital copy FTW.

Combo disc FTL.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

Discs are easy and fast. I will never switch to digital movies, music, or anything ownable unless I fully expect not to have lifetime use (like WiiWare or PSN). I just won't I don't trust these companies not to block my legally purchased data.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

steven787 said:
Discs are easy and fast. I will never switch to digital movies, music, or anything ownable unless I fully expect not to have lifetime use (like WiiWare or PSN). I just won't I don't trust these companies not to block my legally purchased data.

License. Your legally purchased license. They own the data and can call it back at any time.

What up, Steven? And I think it would be good to have hybrids, because you could amass a huge BR collection and still play them in your DVD player. But, correct me if I am wrong, but weren't HD DVD/DVD combos problematic? I have a few in my HD DVD collection and the only one that gave me probs was Bourne Ultimatium - it was something about the improper software to play it.