By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - A controversial view - PS3 now hurting BD?

The switch from VHS to DVD was MUCH more of a big deal for people than the switch from DVD to BluRay. The mass majority still doesn't even seem to know what BluRay actually is or why it's an upgrade. This is the same mass majority that buys expensive HDTVs and then doesn't watch any actual HD content on them or even know how to get ACCESS to HD content. This is the same mass majority that when you show them a standard def channel next to an HD channel, they claim to not be able to tell the difference. When it was VHS to DVD, it was like movie media was finally catching up to music media. No rewinding, no stretched or broken tape, no fuzz or distortion. People saw the real benefits of that. They do NOT seem to be noticing the real benefits of BluRay vs. DVD.

That being said, I was just talking to my parents this morning and my dad asked me how much a BluRay player costs. Their DVD player took a crap and needs to be replaced. If my parents are asking about them, then the message is getting out to movie watchers. But we're not comparing apples to apples here if we're going to compare PS2/DVD adoption to PS3/BD adoption. Nowhere near the same situation. The PS2 was considered an affordable machine and the benefits of it having a built in DVD player was a no brainer. The PS3 is not considered an affordable machine and the benefits of having a built in BluRay player are considered a frill, not a must have piece of technology.

My real opinion: BluRay will probably continue to pick up steam and PS3 will probably continue to lose market share.