By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Anyone else disappointed with netflix streaming?

I finally signed up for a free trial this evening an tried a few films.  I tried ones that are available on blu-ray so I know the source is available in HD.  What I got was clean in terms of framerate, but it is "foggy" as it is enlarged quite a bit.  The "source" is a small screen and when letterbox is chosen, it gets pretty blurry.  I've got a 6Mbit connection and get 4 bars and no stuttering.

I found a blog that described the delivery process and it isn't exactly impressive.  Hopefully they'll improve on it with time.  Granted, it seems better than SD television, but still not what I had hoped.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

well i have been watching the netflix streaming on the xbox on our 52" tv and the normal resolution movies look like dvd quality. And the HD ones look like HD quality, so I'm not sure what your talking about.

If your doing it on your computer maybe that is different, I watched the same HD show I was watching on my computer as was on the 360 (on tv) a couple days ago and it was as you said a smaller screeen and you coudl tell it was being enlarged, but I did not really pay attention to see if I was watchign the HD version of the show or the standard version so that could be it.

Either way teh show was still very watchable on my computer and on the tv through the xbox it is flawless, maybe once every other episode did it have to rebuffer, so no problems there even. (which takes like 10 seconds at most)

DVD quality here as well. Love the feature. Use it frequently.

Prediction made on 11/1/2008:

Q4 2008: 27M xbox LTD, 20M PS3 LTD . 2009 sales: 11M xbox,  9M PS3

hell no. i think its awesome i didn't really expect the quality of a blue ray. remember this is a streaming file not being read off an actual disc so it won't look near as good. I like the feature quite a bit as a whole though i do wish there were alot more titles available for streaming but that will grow over time

Looks great on my end also

Around the Network

I've noticed that some shows and movies look crappy compared to others. Sound quality is lower than others also.

If they did Blu-ray qaulity streaming, imagine how much bandwith it would kill. I'm kind of glad it isn't taking up too much bandwith, Comcast complains when your using too much bandwith.

I'm not disappointed at all, I get to watch things I normally wouldn't pay for or know even existed.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

A few titles have looked a bit off, but almost everything has been DVD quality.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

pbroy said:
I've noticed that some shows and movies look crappy compared to others. Sound quality is lower than others also.

If they did Blu-ray qaulity streaming, imagine how much bandwith it would kill. I'm kind of glad it isn't taking up too much bandwith, Comcast complains when your using too much bandwith.

I'm not disappointed at all, I get to watch things I normally wouldn't pay for or know even existed.

pbroy I know you aren't disappointed, I see you watching something on there constantly.  I spent all day yesterday watching the first season of 30 Rock in HD and it was great.  Alec Baldwin is f**king hilarious.

As for the topic, just because a movie is available in Blu-Ray, does not mean that the stream will be in HD.  They have a section on their site that shows the ones available for HD streaming.  It is not all inclusive because I have played some that were not in the HD section and were streamed in HD.  You will know that it is streaming in HD because when it is telling you the connection quality, it will tell you it is coming in HD.  Streaming Netflix through the PC or any other program that uses the PC for streaming through Netflix(PlayOn) does not allow for HD streams.  Only hardware that has the Netflix created application on there ala Roku and 360, get streams in HD.

I've had anywhere from 1-3 bars. I'm usually very happy with the picture, as long as it's not a Disney/Pixar film. If the movie is awesome enough, I'm going to buy it anyway. Netflix, to me, is just for viewing movies I want to see, but not own. Even the discs that come in the mail lack special features.

d21lewis said:
I've had anywhere from 1-3 bars. I'm usually very happy with the picture, as long as it's not a Disney/Pixar film. If the movie is awesome enough, I'm going to buy it anyway. Netflix, to me, is just for viewing movies I want to see, but not own. Even the discs that come in the mail lack special features.

LOL.  I got a BR of Wall-E in the mail from Netflix the other day that I could have sworn was a burnt copy that someone printed a label and taped it onto the disc.  Although it still had it's special features on there.  I have yet to see a disc that did not contain the same features as the version you could buy.  Maybe there was a second disc that had the special features for the movie you are speaking of.

Also, why are you only getting 1-3 bars?  Is this only on the HD qualty streams?  I get 3 bars sometimes on HD quality, but never below 4 on SD streams.  When I was watching 30 Rock yesterday(a show I know is available in HD) it would occasionally say that it was going to stream in SD, I would just hit B and start it again, always on the second try it would go to HD.  Maybe you should keep restarting it to try and get a higher quality.