By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Does Sony own the IP to the RSX or does Nvidia?

Does Sony own the IP to the RSX or does Nvidia?

I was thinking about this, and I realised that I had never heard of an answer to this question. So does anyone here know who owns the design and if Sony doesn't own the design how much is it costing them to use it?

Tease.

Around the Network

I don't think anyone here would be able to answer that question

HappySqurriel said:

I don't think anyone here would be able to answer that question

Hmm the fact there isn't an answer implies that maybe it is owned by Nvidia. We have past precedent, and no statement to the contrary. The problem with this is even though the price of chips are falling fast at TSMC due to the recession the one who will likely benifit the most may well be Nvidia.

Tease.

I own it! Wanna buy?

Mummelmann said:
I own it! Wanna buy?

You got any snake oil to go along with that?  ;)

Around the Network

If Sony learned anything from Microsoft's experience with the Xbox, they should own it!

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
If Sony learned anything from Microsoft's experience with the Xbox, they should own it!

Did they? Isn't the PS3 already sharing many of the traits of the Xbox 1? I mean it would be fitting really if they made the same mistakes as well!

Tease.

Squilliam said:
NJ5 said:

Did they? Isn't the PS3 already sharing many of the traits of the Xbox 1? I mean it would be fitting really if they made the same mistakes as well!

did you not see what happened last gen?  sony owned the ip (or what ever exactly it is) for the graphics card.  that was what allowed them to keep shrinking the chip and eventually combine it with the cpu.

i would assume that the deal is that sony controls the chip and nvidia gets royalties.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

soccerdrew17 said:
Squilliam said:
NJ5 said:

did you not see what happened last gen?  sony owned the ip (or what ever exactly it is) for the graphics card.  that was what allowed them to keep shrinking the chip and eventually combine it with the cpu.

i would assume that the deal is that sony controls the chip and nvidia gets royalties.

Yeah, I don't see why Sony would work out a different contract with nVidia this gen vs last gen.

makingmusic476 said:
Mummelmann said:
I own it! Wanna buy?

You got any snake oil to go along with that?  ;)

Gallons! I also have up for grabs; Statue of Liberty and Golden Gate Bridge as well as London Bridge! Phenomenal!