By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - "Blu-Ray Dead In 5 Years" Says Samsung!

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/HD/Blu_ray/L9R7H4Q2

Blu-Ray Dead In 5 Years Says Samsung

By Branko Miletic | Friday | 05/09/2008

For all the Sony executives reading this story, a note of caution: this story contains some disturbing material or material that may offend. In a UK tech web site overnight, Samsung has gone on record and said that the Blu-ray format will only lasting another 5 years before it is replaced by another format or technology.

"I think it [Blu-ray] has 5 years left, I certainly wouldn't give it 10", Andy Griffiths, director of consumer electronics at Samsung UK told web site Pocket-lint in an interview, adding that that "2008 is the format's year".

Instead he says, Samsung is putting its faith in its OLED technology, which although already developed, is being held back at the moment "due to high manufacturing costs", according to the report.

"We will launch the OLED technology when it's at a price that will be appealing to the consumer, unfortunately that's not yet", noted Griffiths, adding that 2010 as a possible date when he believes that when the technology becomes mainstream it will replace LCD.

"It's gonna be big, but at the moment it's a great story, not commercial, product", he told Pocket Lint.
Samsung has also recently announced it's partnered with Yahoo to offer widgets on its internet connected televisions as it tries to turn the television into an information hub of the home rather than the PC, in a move thought to be a pre-emptive strike against Panasonic and its VieraCast LCD TV concept.

"The content has to be relevant, but once it is it will make the TV more than a TV", said Griffiths.
"In 2012 we will be in a true HD world. Everything from your television to your camcorder will be offering you pictures in high-definition, and we plan to offer you that HD world from all angles", he told Pocket Lint.
Discuss!

Around the Network

erm....new account?

Bad news?

Discuss?

Is Samsung part of the blu-ray association?

If not, isn't it logical that they would try to downplay the BR, and focus attention on their own product?

If they are: euhm, wtf :p

Samsung and Sony are always at each others throats.
Sony are looking into OLED screens at the minute too, so I dont think Sony should panic.

Sony have already released an OLED screen I believe, albeit very small.

Around the Network

DVD released 1996
Blu Ray released 2006
Next Drive released 2013/2014

Doesn't seem like a bad assumption

I dont get it? Isnt OLED used for screens/monitors and not memory storage. How can this technology replace Blue-ray?

But whatever Samsung has up their sleeve, Im sure it is just the beginning of several other projects out there aimed at toppling Blue-ray. Technology is moving along so quickly that nothing can last long. In the end I think it will be dowloading that kills Blue-ray. And it should take less than 5 years.

papflesje said:
Is Samsung part of the blu-ray association?

If not, isn't it logical that they would try to downplay the BR, and focus attention on their own product?

If they are: euhm, wtf :p

They are, well they release players so surely they are.

scottie said:
DVD released 1996
Blu Ray released 2006
Next Drive released 2013/2014

Doesn't seem like a bad assumption

Not relevent.

VHS was released 20 years before DVD...Whats your point?

How long a format lasts is determined by uptake and profitability of the format, not how long ago it was released...

Your logic is way too simplistic.

lol, Just because Samsung say Blu-Ray will be dead by 5 years time isn't a confirmation that it will actually happen.