By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Slow HDTV Sales Hurting PS3 Sales

A November report from the NPD Group shows a large disparity between sales of the Playstation 3 and the Xbox 360. One obvious reason is the difference in price, but Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Patcher suggests that the differenc is also due to the sagging sales of HDTVs.

"We believe that PS3 are being impacted by lower demand for HD televisions as a result of the recession," Pachter said via GamesIndustry.biz.

This, along with the price disparity - the cheapest 360 model, at $199, is half the cost of a $399 PS3 - are combining to stymie PS3 sales this holiday season, he said.

"There was likely some substitution of Xbox 360 for PS3 purchases, due to recent price reductions for the Xbox 360 and the bundling of the console with two free games," according to Pachter.

However, it's not all bad news for Sony. Pachter also said he expects sales to pick up throughout the first half of 2009, due to increased interest in PS3 exclusives and the system's Blu-ray player.

"We believe that several PS3 exclusives, notably LittleBigPlanet, along with focus on the Blu-ray will drive hardware sales over the next six months," he said.

Pachter also predicted strong hardware sales across the board for December, saying the recession won't have a significant effect this month. "Rather, we think that as Nintendo increases Wii supply further, Sony markets Blu-ray, and Microsoft rolls out its New Xbox Experience, hardware sales will show year-over-year increases in December."

This post originally appeared on 1Up.com.

Reactions, comments?

Around the Network

The 360 isn't a true HD console, confirmed. They had me fooled all this time. :(

Since the 360 isn't an HD console now, along with the Wii, does that mean that the PS3 is the only real "next gen" console?

Dang! I love stretching things.

Yes, you should always put Pachter in the title of a thread when he's the one talking because that way we know what kind of bullshit to expect from him.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

demand for HDTV's is shrinking?!?! Where does 1up.com get that information? A Walmart employee got killed on black Friday by bloodthirsty shoppers looking to get a 50 inch Samsung HDTV for 799.00( a steal by the way)...that sounds like high demand to me.

Sorry to contradict you on video game sales.....

November video game sales near $3 billion
By BARBARA ORTUTAY, AP Technology Writer

Friday, December 12, 2008

(12-12) 02:18 PST NEW YORK, (AP) --

Americans may be cutting back on holiday shopping, but they are still buying video games — to the tune of nearly $3 billion in November, according to data from market researcher NPD Group.

U.S. retail sales of video game hardware, software and accessories jumped 10 percent last month from the year-ago period to $2.91 billion, boosted by strong sales of Nintendo Co.'s Wii, Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 and the alien shooter game "Gears of War 2."

The availability of a broad range of games is one reason for the industry's ongoing solid performance, said NPD analyst Anita Frazier. Games also provide a relatively cheap form of stay-at-home entertainment.

The industry, Frazier said, is still on track to rack up $22 billion in U.S. sales this year.

November and December are crucial months for video game companies. Many of them make the bulk of their money during the holidays.

This week, Electronic Arts Inc., the publisher of the popular "Madden" football game series, warned that sales have been weak in North America and Europe. Without giving specific guidance, EA said its fiscal 2009 results will fall short of the forecast it gave in October. But EA's warning did not seem to signal a broader downturn for the industry.

Hardware sales, which include gaming consoles like the Wii as well as handheld systems like Sony Corp.'s PSP, jumped 10 percent to $1.21 billion.

Nintendo enjoyed perhaps the greatest success in November, with 2 million Wiis sold — the most yet in a month, according to Denise Kaigler, vice president of corporate affairs. The Japanese company boosted production of the easy-to-master gaming system in July to keep up with seemingly insatiable demand. Nonetheless, on Thursday afternoon, both Best Buy's and Wal-Mart's Web sites were out of stock.

Microsoft's Xbox 360, meanwhile, sold 836,000 units. Spokesman David Dennis said the company's games business had "great momentum" heading into the final stretch of the holiday season. The PlayStation 3, from Sony, sold 378,000 units.

Sales of video game software grew 11 percent to $1.31 billion. Besides "Gears of War 2," which sold 1.6 million copies, "Call of Duty: World at War" by Activision Blizzard Inc. and Nintendo's "Wii Play" and "Wii Fit" also did well. Electronic Arts had just one title, the zombie horror game "Left 4 Dead," in the top 10.

Around the Network

HDTV sales seem good AFAIK. I don't trust Pachter's opinions, he has been wrong too many times.

The PS3 is hurting from cheap 360 entry pricing (119 Euro including 19% taxes around here) and English-media anti-Sony hysteria, it makes the console look more expensive and its future more uncertain.

I think a cheaper slimline PS3 and an amazing 2009 line-up will turn things around.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

The battle the PS3 needs to win is againest the 360 here in US...they need to get there reputation back.

In 2009, a lot of people are going to have to upgrade their televisions since TV is only going to be broadcast in digital. Sony and any other HD provider should benefit.

Maybe it's because HDTVs and PS3 are both still too expensive for most families... and because most people don't care about HD.

(Note: I do, I have a 1080p TV and a PS3.)

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Godot said:
Yes, you should always put Pachter in the title of a thread when he's the one talking because that way we know what kind of bullshit to expect from him.

Brink of Depression? Fastest Consumer Price Drop Since 1932.

http://redgreenandblue.org/2008/12/17/brink-of-depression-fastest-consumer-price-drop-since-1932/

In November 2008, consumer prices fell to their lowest in 76 years.

U.S. consumer prices fell in November at the fastest rate since 1932, the darkest days of the Great Depression

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/drop-consumer-prices-most-since/story.aspx?guid=%7B45513693-102D-4A67-8859-C73778BF4777%7D&dist=msr_19

Retail Industry in Depression

http://news.prnewswire.com/ViewContent.aspx?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/12-11-2008/0004940814&EDATE=

Newest Trend for 2008: Zero spending

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/world/story.html?id=33c337f6-84af-44f0-b926-af560ce0976f&p=2