By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - American Numbers Up

While PS3's yoy drop is understandable, PSP's and PS2's are troubling.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Around the Network
tabsina said:
chaospluto said:
TheBigFatJ said:
chaospluto said:
Still not surprised at the Wii nor the DS.

Kind of surprised at the 360, but I expected more sales, considering all the Advertisements.

I honestly think the PS3 and PSP are doing phenomenal. Considering the PS3's price and the PSP's lack of Development (which is getting stronger mind you).

I don't know, guess it's just me.

So you are saying that the PS3 beat your expectations.  Your expectations must have been terrible, because these numbers are not good for the PS3.

I never said the beat my expectations, not at all.  These numbers may not be uber (especially compared to Wii) but considering the Price of the PS3 and the horrible Advertisements SONY doesn't do I think their doing great.

So whatever, they could be doing much much worse.

I agree with your statement about the wii and ds, but I don't think I can figure out how Sony are doing phenomenally... even taking price into account, the Wii's hardware revenue in America was double that of the PS3's revenue

OK, so I should not have said phenomenal.  More so, their doing good/OK for what crap their in.

• 2010 MUST Haves: WKC, Heavy Rain, GoWIII, Fable III, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders, FFXIII, Alan Wake, No More Heroes 2, Fragile Dreams: FRotM, Trinity: SoZ, BFBC2.
  • Older Need To Buys: Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Deadspace, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2.

There is definitely more to list that I want, but that's my main focus there.

dolemit3 said:

Neither of these systems sells software like they used to. The software situation is worse for these platforms.

PS3 has almost lost "1%" of total worldwide marketshare in the last 6-8 weeks - ouch.

MS to me seems to be the big winner here. PS3 will get close to my 19m EOY '08 forecast - Wii should edge out my 45m forecast - but the 360 will blow away my 25m prediction. By 10% at least.

Don't worry Sony fans - next year will likely reverse the trend, as 360 sales level off - and PS3 sales explode with better software and a price cut on hardware/revision.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

FishyJoe said:
dolemit3 said:

Neither of these systems sells software like they used to. The software situation is worse for these platforms.

Sony couldn't really be expecting the PS2 to pull major software numbers anymore, I mean, the system is about to be nine years old.  It's time that it gets put out to pasture at a nice new, 99 dollar price point.  I know Sony's made some dumb mistakes, but I hope they weren't stupid enought to believe that PS2 would be selling more software.  Now PSP on the other hand, can't move any units of software, and it is doing horribly.  That's what is really hurting out of those two.  For the amount of consoles sold, the software totals are horrible.

Around the Network
chaospluto said:

Why am I not surprised?  Well I mean come on, it's only the MOST wanted item on anyones Christmas list this year.  DS and Wii are both wanted by everyone, their HUGE.

Wii is hot, it's been hot ever since it's release, why would I be surprised!?

PS3 "hasn't" been hot ever since it's release, so you tell me why I think PS3 and PSP are doing really good considering their state?

Hasn't been hot? Hot for what?

They released some great games this year, looking at list they even have better +90 games.

Major title like MGS4 which is the same uber heavy leauge as Halo 3 was for 360. Strong winter with followups from release hits like Resistance adn Motorstorm. Launch of Home, Launch of DS 3 outside Japan, Little Big Planet that must got the biggest presscoverage this year, WipeOut HD

Saying PS3 hasn't been hot this year is kind of bad. In my eye's the exklusive race this year goes to Sony. Yes they have more ammo but this year was a big load out.

It is a game machine and as far it goes for games they done good this year compared to 2006 and 2007. Crossplattform games doesn't suck that bad as they used to compared 2 360 and the exklusive games showed of some great power.

I blame on the price and the poor sale is due to lowest value per dollar in consumers eyes but not the Games or Hype cause PS3 got them plenty.

Predictions for 2009:

360: 39-42 PS3: 31-34 Wii: 67-70

Future projection

Wii will hit 100 million before christmas 2010 (made december 2008)

NDS Family will have sold and shipped more then PS2 at the end of 2009 (made january 2009)

kowenicki said:
What is the breakdown of the drop in sony hardware from this week last year?

PS3, PS2, PSP ?? anyone got it.

Alot.  :'(

dolemit3 said:

why is it understandable?

• there are more games
  • it is the same price (or even cheaper?
  • it is a new SKU

what about all thos arguements like "when HDTVs are more spread, the PS3 will pick up in sales, because of BluRay" or "There are 120 million PS2-Users and they will upgrade to PS3 during Xmas"

I have heard this over and over again.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

OK, so I should not have said phenomenal. More so, their doing good/OK for what crap their in.

Sorry, I over-exaggerated a lot, so sue me o.o

• 2010 MUST Haves: WKC, Heavy Rain, GoWIII, Fable III, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders, FFXIII, Alan Wake, No More Heroes 2, Fragile Dreams: FRotM, Trinity: SoZ, BFBC2.
  • Older Need To Buys: Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Deadspace, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2.

There is definitely more to list that I want, but that's my main focus there.

KillerMan said:
atma998 said:
KillerMan said:
Fernando said:
TheBigFatJ said:
The Wii is going to pass the PS2's holiday record.

Very well deserved =p

By quality of the games it is not so well deserved , but nevertheless Wii and DS numbers are amazing as always.

Yeah I agree with you. Now you have to excuse me, I'm gonna play one of my mature-blood-and-gore-intense-violent-shooter game on my HD console.

I meant when you compare Wii game library to PS2 game library at the end of 2003. So by game quality it is not so well deserved that Wii passes PS2 holiday record though it doesn't matter because it is going to do it and that is of course great for Nintendo.

Was the game library of PS2 in 2003 was so great? I don't remember but something sure is that all sales for every console are always well deserved.