By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2008 Belongs to?

ME, and you can't have it back!

Around the Network
alpha_dk said:
c0rd said:

Hrmm... I understand the 360 upset was pretty damn surprising, but there's something about 2008 that easily shifts it to Nintendo's favor, IMO.

Wii Fit and Mario Kart Wii.

Seriously, did anyone expect these games to sell like they are? It's insane - we've accepted it now, but that's because it's old news.

As for games, I only got a 360 recently, but all consoles are about even for me. The Wii is my main, but there's many great HD games I haven't got to play yet...

*Looks at prediction in sig created the day after WiiFit was announced*

*Looks at sales of every mario kart to date*

Yes, some people expected it.  Seriously, did anyone not expect these games to sell like they are?

Also, hilarious blast from the past: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=10632

EDIT:  Also, a great (accurate) prediction by Game_boy: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=25335

Okay, I'll concede on Wii Fit. It was already out in Japan anyway, that probably helped a bit...

Still, I know the majority of people didn't think Mario Kart Wii could be near 12m at the end of 08. It's on the verge of outselling GTAIV within the year. Just take a look at this thread: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=23558

hotrodx said:
2008 belongs to the gamers, who enjoyed great new games.

This.

Us - oh and Nintendo.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

DMeisterJ said:

DMeisterJ

Best Strategy - Microsoft
Best Sales - Nintendo
Best Games (IMO) - Sony

Everyone wins.

Oh yeah, and the Gamers - Awesome games this year: GTA IV, LBP, MGS4, Resistance 2, Gears 2, MK Wii, SSBB, and too many more to name.

i agree with this.

Around the Network

Every current gen console sales are way up over last year.
Every console had great games this year.

2008 Winner = Everyone.

Well, if you want to go by sheer profit, then Nintendo is unequivocally the winner of 2008. I can't see any other measure having more impact than that in any industry, at least not to the people in charge of the business. Companies can't survive on praise alone, after all.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Zucas said:
hotrodx said:
2008 belongs to the gamers, who enjoyed great new games.

This.

I agree with this.

the gamers :) bcoz

-m$ and sony gave us pricecuts
-GOW2 & R2
-sega for finally making a sonic game that wasnt complete pants, oh and valkyria chronicles
-Super smash bros and MKWii.. two titles that have prevented me from throwing my wii into the gutter
-street fighter HD.. chun li in HD.. oh my!

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Winner of 2008 - The DS

The sheer number of units sold, along with an astounding number of fantastic games released this past year makes 2008 the year of the DS.