By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What do you think PS3 sales numbers would be right now, if...

It would be double where it is now...it still has legs...don't count it out, its strongest titles (and looming price cut?) are just around the corner.

God of War 3, Killzone, Gran Turismo will move units, couple those with a 50-100 dollar cut, and I do think we are talking millions of units.

PSN: TheGodofWine (Warhawk / R2 / MotorStorm PR)

AND

PSN: Skigazzi (for KZ2 and future games)

Around the Network

There´s another thing, Wii would still be at 40mln+, cause Ps3 public is different from wii´s. PS3 would be actually in x360 position, with 25mln units and in front, but wouldn´t  be the best machine they could do.(except for the BC part, wich should still be on every Sku, or at least on the top one)  

VASCO DA GAMA CAMPEÃO DA COPA DO BRASIL!!!

CONGRATULATIONS VASCÃO

VICE É O CARALH*

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future......NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

The PS3 would probably be over 40 if not 50 million by now if not for its offensively prohibitive price.

It wouldve sold quite a bitter more than at $499 & $599.....next gen will be VERY INTERESTING!

PREDICTIONS:
360 will outsell PS3 YTD for 2008. (CHECK!)
360 will have the best showing at E3 & TGS in 2009
2009 will be another year for the 360 over PS3
End OF 2009 SALES :: 360 - 40M;  PS3 - 30M; Wii - 70M

It would have sold much better to this point, but sales are not what matters.

Pros;

-better sales
-lower price
-contained exclusives
-more games

Cons

-worse online
-worse games
-basically a PS2.5
-poorly built

The PS3 as it stands is exactly what Sony needed to do this generation. They took a chance, and it did not turn out pretty, but that is the price you pay for trying to move the market forward. Taking Blu-ray and Cell out of the PS3 would be like taking a Hemi out of a mopar. All that is left is a peice of crap that is of no interest to anyone.

Note: I love Mopar products that was not a bash on them.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

Sony always pushed tech and they always will.

Where would PS be without CD, where would PS2 be wit out emotion engine and DVD ?

pointless thread.

its almost 2009 kid, get over the past you pathetic fanboys.

KBG29 said:
It would have sold much better to this point, but sales are not what matters.

Pros;

-better sales
-lower price
-contained exclusives
-more games

Cons

-worse online
-worse games
-basically a PS2.5
-poorly built

The PS3 as it stands is exactly what Sony needed to do this generation. They took a chance, and it did not turn out pretty, but that is the price you pay for trying to move the market forward. Taking Blu-ray and Cell out of the PS3 would be like taking a Hemi out of a mopar. All that is left is a peice of crap that is of no interest to anyone.

Note: I love Mopar products that was not a bash on them.

I don't understand your argument ...

As a gaming machine the PS3 has not demonstrated any dramatic advantage over the XBox 360, which doesn't have the cell processor or a Blu-Ray player; and it can be argued that the XBox 360 has a better online service even though it is very similar to the design the OP was describing.

Certainly, Blu-Ray and the Cell processor offer advantages to the PS3 much like how Cartridges and the 3D GPU of the N64 offered advantages; but (in both cases) these offer disadvantages as well which (may or may not) outweigh the advantages and (potentially) have demonstrated that they the wrong choice for the time.

twingo said:
Sony always pushed tech and they always will.

Where would PS be without CD, where would PS2 be wit out emotion engine and DVD ?

pointless thread.

its almost 2009 kid, get over the past you pathetic fanboys.

CD rom drives became popular in PCs in 1990/1991 and game consoles started having CD drives in 1992 and the Playstation was released in 1994; they weren't pushing technology.

DVD rom drives were released in 1996, became popular in the PC in 1998 and Sony released the PS2 in 2000 with a DVD drive; they weren't pushing technology.

Blu-Ray was released in 2006, still hasn't become popular in the PC, and Sony released the PS3 in 2006 with a Blu-Ray drive.

In 2010 (4 years after the first Blu-Ray players were introduced) it would make sense to release a console with a Blu-Ray drive because the added cost would be small compared to the added value.

Over 9000!

@HappySqurriel

Had Sony released the PS3 in the fashion stated above it would have sold much better, and Sony would have lost a lot more money. With the PS3 doing so well, all the nice new features we have gotten would either not of happened or been a lot slower to the market. This would mean the online on PS3 would still be miles behind were it is today.

The Cell and Blu-ray have not showed a great differance to this point in the PS3's life, but next year is a whole differant story. Sony will set the standard for what a highly polished, big budget game means from gapmeplay, to story, and graphics. These are things that would not have been possible without the help of Blu-ray and Cell. Games like Uncharted 2, Killzone 2, and Heavy Rain are not achivable without the space of the BD, and the capabilities of Cell. Granted you could go buy a PC that could match these games in all aspects, but these games will never be on PC, and PC devs have not even showed interest in games like Uncharted or Heavy Rain in many years.

Basically what I am getting at is. IMO sales do not matter if a system if worthless in the first place. That is why I don't care how many units the Wii sells. All I care about is the quality and performance of the machine, and the software that comes to it. If you remove BD, Cell, and the HDD from the PS3 it IMO becomes as much of a waste as the Wii.

On the N64 and PSone (I loved and owned both systems)

PSone - I loved PSone because it had great games. It was the sit down for an epic experiance machine of its time. Games like Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, and Final Fantasy were all games filled with content. They allowed you to sit down for hours on end, had great cinimatic value, and amazing exicution.

N64 - I loved N64 because it had great games. It was the perfect short burst entertainment of its time. Games like No Mecry, Goldeneye, and Mario 64 could all be loaded in seconds, and you could accomplish something in 15 mintues and turn the system off.

IMO PS3 and 360 both offer each of these experiances, Wii offers nether, and take away the stated PS3 features, and it would be very much the same.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL