By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - It's time for third parties to make Wii their lead platform

Wow N'gai wrote this;....WOW.

Around the Network

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_1_games

A list of PS1 titles, how many casual and crap titles you think there are?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_games

ditto?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_games

It happens with the market leader in hardware, the evidence is right there.

Now for comparison -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_64_games

About as many released over its lifetime as PS3 have up till now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_3_games

Conclusion - There is no way of preventing bad or under developed content on the highest selling systems. There is hope that with time and patience better games will be produced though.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Lurker said:
I don't think third parties ever will. 360 brought in more dough for third parties than PS3 and Wii combined this gen so far.

I don't believe that, when many of the biggest 3rd parties have been on record that the Wii is what is supporting their HD development.

Where are all these 3rd party games that are selling well on the HD consoles? Outside of the hugely hyped games, where are the tons of million sellers?

And does it matter if a game sells twice as well on an HD console, if it costs four times as much to make?

Remember people, if those 360 games are making publishers so much money, why are they all closing studios and laying people off?

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

As the marketshare gets to 50% in the Wii's favor, combined a significant reduction in development costs and a slumping economy, a lot of developers will be shifting to the Wii in 09. Whether they bring quality to their Wii games is the question. There's been some solid titles, but a lot of shovelware.

Wasn't there a thread about attach rates a few weeks back that showed that while the wii had a lower attach rate for 3rd parties, it has actually sold MORE 3rd part software than the PS3? Thats WITH a launch that saw massive 3rd party support out and in the pipeline for PS3 and minimum support for the Wii

Developers are business people too. They do NOT care about attach rates, they care about units sold. If there was 1,000,000,000 of console X and it had an attach rate of 1% for 3rd parties, I think 3rd parties would be stoked.

Any way, I think more 3rd party developers will start making the Wii the lead platform, and I think the quality of Wii games made by 3rd parties will rise drastically in the next year or 2. Motion+ should attract some more support.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X
Around the Network

"Whether they bring quality to their Wii games is the question."

bardicverse is right, that´s the big question...personally speaking, I´d prefer some games to remain on the HD systems, depending on the game ('to remain' as in 'not Wii exclusive')...Dead Space is one of these...the atmosphere of that game makes a great match with HD visuals and power offered by 360/PS3.

Nintendo games sell better than 3d parties in the wii because Nintendo does make good games while the 3d parties make very mediocre efforts.

Time tells that companies always migrate to the dominant market. I hope this time is true. Of course, things are changing in this generation so who knows.

Next year seems to be better in the 3d party front but we'll see.

Things arn't changing Bobbuffalo. It's a lie in order to prevent the Wii from gaining better 3rd party product. Isn't that obvious to everyone?

Dpes anyone wonder how on earth such a ridiculous explanation, that of the casual/hardcore split, could be cridible for every single bloody journalist in all forms of media?
Its because the more often the words are used, like for eg. WMD's and Iraq, the more people believe it.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

StarcraftManiac said:

Ok, here's the thing! As long as X360 + PS3 software combined outsells or sells on-par with Wii software (3rd-party stuff, not the Nintendo titles included) then you won't see a lot of high-end 3rd-party titles!

They much more prefer the multi-HD-platform release to see higher sales with the both combined then on ONLY the Wii...

So; as long as 3rd-parties on Wii don't sell more then X360-PS3 3rd-party software combined you won't see a shift!

Conclusion: 3rd-parties will never shift to Wii en-mass! You'll definitely see some bigger games more often! But nothing compared to for example Death Space, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Gears of War etc...

Maybe Madworld comes close though! ^^... Heads-up!

The bolded part should really refer to profits, and not sales. I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, I cannot say how things are going to work out. But if 3rd parties sell more on PS360, but make more profit on the Wii, something is wrong with this line of thinking.

This is invisible text!

I don't understand.

Lead platforms means what?

Unless the game is only on the wii, I don't see the difference if its lead platform or not. Wasn't the Star wars games lead on the Wii?

For this change to Happen, most of these 3rd party games have to be wii exclusives or timed exclusives.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)