By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Help me identify this fallacy (if it is one)

When i saw the word fallancy i immediately thought of something else...

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network
frybread said:

Someone replies to reasoning and evidence with a contradictory statement, but doesn't provide any evidence or reasoning for their statement.

I have a suspicion this argument style is a fallacy, but don't know which one.  Can anyone identify it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

(Fake) Example: 

"While we are in a recession, the car industry is experiencing enormous growth. I think YoY the total revenue is up 20%.

The SUV development model is clearly unsustainable. If an average SUV will only break even at 1 million sold (let alone see a significant ROI) there's something terribly wrong with the industry.

Sure the Tundras and Escalades will earn a nice sum of money, but even something like Hummer looks like it's going to make a loss. Despite it will likely end up selling a million.

Most Japanese car makers have focused on Hybrids, are increasing their compact development and are having less SUVs. For some reason Western automakers are unwilling or unable to shift their focus to hybrids"

"You grossly overestimate the cost of SUVs"

Well, we certainly have a topic today that will seperate the thinkers from the uneducated masses around here.

All four of the statements are obvioulsy fallacies, but they are not the same kind of fallacies.

The kids these days, reading, riting, and rithmatic, but no rhetoric. There's four R's damnit!

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

I know what thread that's from...

I think the person who posted the bolded statement actually didn't know what they were talking about. They just plain got the facts wrong.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)