By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii sales and VGChartz estimates don't work well together

dtewi said:
*spits water over the keyboard*

2.4 MILLION a month!?!

Holy shit!

Wow your 56k connection really is slow, that was announced months ago.

Around the Network

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=41056

I was laughed at when I used math and knowledge of the past to try and make an argument that the guesses were too low. Well, as they say; those who ignore history... I still stand by my 45-46M, and as I said in that thread - we have indeed seen one more upwards adjustment, and the Wii looks like it's on track to remain as sold out this holiday as it was last holiday. I'll admit that today, 46 isn't as likely as 45, unlike what I said in that thread, but even so the most likely choices in that poll were the highest two, and I'm still gunning for 46.

So to all the haters: Booya. My prediction is still in the realm of possibility, and you can bet I'll be happy if it comes true.

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

A lot depends on when a prediction is made. For instance, I think my Wii prediction of 42m at end of year was pretty decent, since it was made the first week of January.

Anyone who predicted under 42m for Wii in September, when this poll took place, just wasn't thinking clearly. And the 360 predictions are even worse!

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Yes. Honestly, I think I was in the 44 million range and a decent middle range for 360, which right now looks too low.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

To be fair; most hw predictions in here sucked hard... Not just the Wii ones.

Around the Network

People who doubt the Wii deserve no sympathy

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

i can't remember what i guessed, i get the feeling it was 42-43, as i remember being above the bump

@Sulla.
My January prediction for Wii was 46 million
Though in May I revised down to 44m, before back up to 45 in September

Of course in January my X360 figure was a horribly low 23 million.
(check my profile)

I remembered predicting something like 42 mill. I guess even I am going to be too low!

But still, who'd expect holiday boosts to be that sick?

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

Maybe because noone expected a console to have THIS much of a boost, with so many of the PS2's records beaten, in the time of an economic crisis o_O

"After you win, son, I feel like going for a ride on your bike, haha." ~Doc Louis (Punch Out Wii)