By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why can the Wii sell the same 3 games forever....?

c0rd said:
madkiller said:

The so-called "legs" that Wii games have is only due to the fact the there have been very few releases at all this year. Once again, there is nothing else to buy. The 360 games compete against a dozen or more games in the same genre at the same time. The Wii games have nothing to compete against at all, especially since there have been virtually no 3rd party games worth buying ever for the Wii.

So how are you going to explain... every other Nintendo game that seems to sell forever? These in particular:

1 Nintendogs Nintendo     20.65m  
2 New Super Mario Bros. Nintendo     16.84m  
3 Pokemon Diamond / Pearl Nintendo     16.65m  
4 Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day Nintendo     15.38m  
5 Mario Kart DS Nintendo     12.91m  
6 Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day Nintendo     12.88m  
7 Animal Crossing: Wild World Nintendo     10.05m  

"No competition," "No games worth playing" again?

By the way, why do you think they even buy the Wii in the first place, if it has no games?

Well, let's see, those are all DS games and the DS has a huge install base and has been around longer, so I should hope those games can sell a lot over time. However, why anyone would buy Nintendogs is totally beyond me.

"If you don't like me, bite me!"

Around the Network
numonex said:
Those three games could each sell 40 million copies individually.
MK Wii to sell 43 million copies ltd.
Wii Fit to sell 45 million copies ltd.
SSBB to sell 41 million copies ltd.

Now i dont think they will go that high idk what the highest selligbn agme is on a consle or handheld but that would just be sick lol.

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

People like those games, and frankly i hope they keep being the wii's top games.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

For the same reason that Beverly Hills Chihuahua will make a profit.

Louie said:
@Madkiller: You know, not all people think like you. In fact you are just part of a relatively small group of core gamers who consider themselves superior to the rest of the world.

I absolutely love Animal Crossing and my girlfriend loves Wii Fit. What is wrong with that? Who are you to decide what is good and what not?

I also think "The Last Remnant" is quite a good game - just because some reviewers said it isn't does that make it a bad game for everyone?

Think about that. With 28 you should be enough of a man to acknowledge that your comment was completely needless and over the top.

QFT

Former something....

Around the Network

For the same reason Hanna montana, solja boy, bush, my point is there is a lot of things we wont ever know why they are so popular.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Its a different product compared to 360 and PS3.
Its more like the DS.If you take a look at the last Chart track sales data for UK most of the best sellers on the DS were games from 2.5-3 years ago .And they keep selling just the same to the new owners of the handheld.

The Wii games and Mario Kart are all quality titles that have mass appeal. It shouldn't be a surprise that they continue to sell well. One thing that hasn't been brought up in this thread is product differentiation. Sales of a game like Gears of War are hurt somewhat by the fact that there are literally a thousand other shooters on the market right now. But if we look at Nintendo's big first party offerings:

- How many other games offer the same experience as Mario Kart? Zero.
- How many other games offer the same experience as Smash Brothers? Zero.
- How many other games offer the same experience as Wii Sports? A few, but they're mostly greatly inferior shovelware.
- Ditto for Wii Fit. You can't get the same thing from any other game out there.

It doesn't hurt either that Nintendo has hardware bundled with a lot of these games. Even if someone did create a Wii Fit clone, how would it work without the balance board? Nintendo's ability to craft first-party software around their own proprietary hardware has always been their greatest strength. Microsoft and Sony simply can't copy them in the same way.

Wii Fit will easily cruise past 20m sales, and Mario Kart will almost certainly do the same. Don't expect these games to stop selling any time soon.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

madkiller said:
c0rd said:
madkiller said:

The so-called "legs" that Wii games have is only due to the fact the there have been very few releases at all this year. Once again, there is nothing else to buy. The 360 games compete against a dozen or more games in the same genre at the same time. The Wii games have nothing to compete against at all, especially since there have been virtually no 3rd party games worth buying ever for the Wii.

So how are you going to explain... every other Nintendo game that seems to sell forever? These in particular:

1 Nintendogs Nintendo 20.65m
2 New Super Mario Bros. Nintendo 16.84m
3 Pokemon Diamond / Pearl Nintendo 16.65m
4 Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day Nintendo 15.38m
5 Mario Kart DS Nintendo 12.91m
6 Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day Nintendo 12.88m
7 Animal Crossing: Wild World Nintendo 10.05m

"No competition," "No games worth playing" again?

By the way, why do you think they even buy the Wii in the first place, if it has no games?

Well, let's see, those are all DS games and the DS has a huge install base and has been around longer, so I should hope those games can sell a lot over time. However, why anyone would buy Nintendogs is totally beyond me.

Again, this is your opinion. It's okay to have your own opinion of course but 20 million people like Nintendogs and almost 30 million like the Brain Training games. Personally, why anyone would play GTA IV is completely beyond me as well, I absolutely dislike the GTA games. But there are millions of people who are totally into GTA, so what? Those 30 million people who like the Brain Training games probably don't like Gears of War or Halo or Bioshock. Does that make them bad games?

Wii and DS do have some great games besides the few you listed. Now if Gran Turismo and Halo sell so well does that mean there are no great games besides them on their respective system?

psrock said:
For the same reason Hanna montana, solja boy, bush, my point is there is a lot of things we wont ever know why they are so popular.

LOL.  I should have used Hannah Montana.  Maybe even High School Musical.  I just don't understand.  Then again, those things aren't made for me either.