By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The elephant in the room: PS3 price cut timing strategy (three scenarios)

I Hope they can afford option 1, but 3 seems most likely

Around the Network

"Winning" second place is pointless if they lose money doing it. Sony need to balance increasing sales with making money.

There are two factors that will contribute heavily to Sony sales in 09. Price cuts and exclusive games.

The price cuts will be dictated by the economy (exchange rate), and the ability to reduce PS3 production costs. The days of Sony taking a huge loss per console are officially over.

I do not see a $100 price cut in the spring (option #1) as being possible, unless the economy has a dramatic turn-around, and they can reduce hardware production costs a lot in the next few months.

A smaller price drop (Option #2) is most likely. It also gives them flexibility to work on reducing costs more by the fall and waiting out the economy, without losing too much market share.

Waiting 10 months (Option #3) for any price drop will be hard on Sony. Both the Wii and 360 are hitting their peak sales, and Sony will be left too far behind. Even with great games coming out, $400 is still too much for most people.

The PS3 can sell well at a higher price than the Wii or 360. The first half of 08 proved that. It cannot continue to sell well at $400. Sony know this.

Games are just as important as price cuts. Games like KZ2, GT5, FFXIII (Japan), GoW3 will help move consoles. Sony needs to make sure that these games come out in 09.

what about no pricecut, and MS will doing the same thing, now MS just counter sony moves by doing price cut too.

What about only a 50$ cut in 2009.
I would guess for this to come in spring, and not necessary give the PS3 another pricecut in '09.
I honestly don't see why everyone sees a 100$ cut likely for the PS3

DMeisterJ said:
I just don't see Microsoft cutting prices below 199. How would they do that?

I can only imagine dropping the Arcade, then giving the 60 GB away for 199.

I don't think it'll be an early price cut in NA next year. Probably mid-late next year, which will be coupled with the EU drop or later than that.

I believe a JP drop will come very very soon though.

Wishful thinking at its finest .So sony , that is bleeding money left and right , will drop the price but MS won't !! Honestly the arcade will be a nightmare for sony for many years to come . Watch an 149$ (or even 129$) arcade destroy the ps3 next holiday season .

Around the Network

so microsoft can't drop the price but sony can, is the new strategy?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I think option 1 would perhaps seem a bit too desperate - I envisage option 3.

With a major push on bundles to boot to give what appears to be a 'larger' discount

fulcizombie said:
DMeisterJ said:

I don't think it'll be an early price cut in NA next year. Probably mid-late next year, which will be coupled with the EU drop or later than that.

Wishful thinking at its finest .So sony , that is bleeding money left and right , will drop the price but MS won't !! Honestly the arcade will be a nightmare for sony for many years to come . Watch an 149$ (or even 129$) arcade destroy the ps3 next holiday season .

You should read my sig.

lol.

With multiple SKUs of the PS3, its possible that a ~$70 cut could happen on the low-end SKU ($329.99), and a $100 cut on the high-end ($399.99). Its been stated before that the only difference between the 80GB and 160GB models is the HDD, and the cost-to-make difference for those amounts to a whopping $3 USD.

Its in Sony's best interest (just like MS) to sell the more expensive SKUs.  

MS is not going to cut the price on the Arcade next year.  And... I'm gonna call it -- Elite model is gone for good after the holidays.  MS might cut the price of the Pro SKU by a small amount, next holiday season.

NJ5 said:
DMeisterJ said:

By dropping the Arcade to $150 of course... 2009 holiday will be four years after 360's launch, when the Core launched for $300. A halving of the price after 4 years doesn't seem too dramatic, especially when so many are considering the possibility of the PS3 halving its price after 2-3 years.

Why people find this unlikely is beyond me.  Wasnt the PS2 $149 in NA 4 years after release. I suppose Sony was desparate.  I would expect that MS will drop prices and keep the Arcade 50% of the cheapest PS3 available next fall. MS really wont worry about any improvements the PS3 makes between March and August.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.