By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why do you believe Sony will do a pricecut in 2009?...

axumblade said:
colonelstubbs said:
Wait....wasnt a price cut leaked?

Yes it was.

Source ?

Around the Network

Well I do see a price cut, i just can't imagine not one with the 360 winnning so much over them on christmas.

But looking at LBP sales and some others being lower than peopel wanted and other games so low, the software isn't brining in them cash and makes it hard to want to loose more on the hardware

kirby007 said:

I don't believe in a pricedrop in Q1 or Q2 or Q3 or even Q4 in 2009

Why?

Sony needs to show profit.

Why the hell would you go even deeper in the red, if sony as a whole is weak....?

is ps3 the only console where its manufactures arnt working away to bring the unit production costs down?

all prevoius consoles in all gens brought costs of manufacturing down, why wont sony do the same as they did with ps1 ps2

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Skeeuk said:
kirby007 said:

I don't believe in a pricedrop in Q1 or Q2 or Q3 or even Q4 in 2009

Why?

Sony needs to show profit.

Why the hell would you go even deeper in the red, if sony as a whole is weak....?

is ps3 the only console where its manufactures arnt working away to bring the unit production costs down?

all prevoius consoles in all gens brought costs of manufacturing down, why wont sony do the same as they did with ps1 ps2

Do I say that? don't spin my words

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

So sony are finally going to start making a profit on the PS3, only to cut prices and sell PS3's on at a loss again ... at this time they will be selling a lot more PS3's ... only to aqquire more debt?

And don't be so sure Games will pick up the slack .. we have all seen how playstation games sell.

Around the Network
seece said:

So sony are finally going to start making a profit on the PS3, only to cut prices and sell PS3's on at a loss again ... at this time they will be selling a lot more PS3's ... only to aqquire more debt?

And don't be so sure Games will pick up the slack .. we have all seen how playstation games sell.

You win.

axumblade said:
Million said:
axumblade said:
colonelstubbs said:
Wait....wasnt a price cut leaked?

Yes it was.

Source ?

I don't have it nor do I have the time to look it up since i have to go to work. It was leaked at some conference where Uncharted 2 and information on God of War 3 was "leaked." If you look it up, it should be somewhere on this site even.

http://www.dpadmagazine.com/2008/11/22/huge-sony-info-blowout/

There's a vgc thread about it but that's the source in the thread...

The article even states it is a rumour..

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

It may not, but there definitely will be KZ2 bundle in Europe/NA. =)
And FFXIII bundle in Japan is possible too.

Anyway, after PS3 will move on 45nm tech process for CPU/GPU, there definitely will be a pricecut. :)

PS3 FTW!

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Sony will definitely cut price in 2009 for the same reason why Microsoft was definitely going to cut price in 2008. They need to stay competative. The fact of the matter is that the PS3 is already profitable now with it's profits from software higher than it's losses on hardware. Furthermore, consider all the changes to the system since the price drop to $399.99 back in 2007. The RSX has fallen from 90nm to 65nm and the prices of production on the Cell, RSX, and the Blu-ray player are all constantly lowering. Combine this with the upcoming reduction to 45nm Cell and RSX chips and I don't see how a competative price-drop to $299.99 could hurt Sony too much, especially when you consider that with more hardware sales come more software sales which will remedy losses in profit SCE could possibly incure from a price drop even more. Japan with its strong yen in particular is due for a price-drop. If Sony could coincide it with the exclusive release of Final Fantasy XIII there, then I don't think I need to explain why a price-drop from Sony is all but guaranteed in 2009.

Seihyouken said:
Sony will definitely cut price in 2009 for the same reason why Microsoft was definitely going to cut price in 2008. They need to stay competative. The fact of the matter is that the PS3 is already profitable now with it's profits from software higher than it's losses on hardware. Furthermore, consider all the changes to the system since the price drop to $399.99 back in 2007. The RSX has fallen from 90nm to 65nm and the prices of production on the Cell, RSX, and the Blu-ray player are all constantly lowering. Combine this with the upcoming reduction to 45nm Cell and RSX chips and I don't see how a competative price-drop to $299.99 could hurt Sony too much, especially when you consider that with more hardware sales come more software sales which will remedy losses in profit SCE could possibly incure from a price drop even more. Japan with its strong yen in particular is due for a price-drop. If Sony could coincide it with the exclusive release of Final Fantasy XIII there, then I don't think I need to explain why a price-drop from Sony is all but guaranteed in 2009.

really now? i claim a source for that statement