By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony will do very well in 2009. fact.

ps3 did do really well this year. its sales over the previous year it didn't pass their competition like some people hoped for, but that doesn't mean that it didn't do well.

i guess depending on how you define "well", but i expect the ps3 will at least do as well as it did this year... which wasn't terrible or failing in anyway, in my opinion.

Around the Network

Sony Fanboys need to relax, enjoy their games , stop worrying aboout console war and stop making futile predictions like that in the OP, fact.

Its funny. On one side we have "the Ps3 is Doooommmmed" and the other "the Ps3 is gonna win"
I think it is somewhere in between but slightly closer to Dooooommmed.Not because it will die a premature death but because it will not get to 2nd place this gen.

Why don't people believe that motion controllers are coming to the 360 and PS3?!?!?!

Sony and Microsoft have been copying each other left, right and center. Do you really believe they aren't going to copy the main feature/gimmic of the Wii that it driving it to be an amazing success?!?

Come on. Wake up people.

Devise01 is correct. They will not announce these controllers because they do not want to steal anything from anyone else. Hang on......

Around the Network

I don't believe in a pricedrop in Q1 or Q2 or Q3 or even Q4 in 2009

Why?

Sony needs to show profit.

Why the hell would you go even deeper in the red, if sony as a whole is weak....?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Imthelegend said:
Crystalchild said:

Hey Guys, there are much "Sony is going to die" threads, but if you look forward : is PS3´s situation and future really that bad?

No, it simply isnt.

in 2009...

- Killzone II Will come, and it will be awesome. (Awesome Graphics, stunning effects.... a nice shooter, no one can say something else about it.)

- Final Fantasy versus XIII (one of the most loved Square Enix franchise´s : Final Fantasy. and vXIII will be only for PS3...dont worry about Infinite Undiscovery and Last Remnant... :P)

- WHOAA! ...look at the Teaser of God of War III, and watch the leaked Pics of Uncharted 2 - they both are looking awesome - and they are still in development.

- Patented Motion Control: Sony is able to create new Kinds of Games with Wii-like Controls : and Microsoft cant copy it ;) (so there is a new Partythingy - Singstar, Eyetoy and Buzz are getting reinforcements :P)

- RPGS!  - Final Fantasy Versus XIII, White Knight Stories/Chronicles, Demons Souls - and the Multiplat´s : Sacred 2 / The Witcher : Rise of the White Wolf   -- every game looks promising.

- Bigger, Better, and more Badass: God of War III, Uncharted : Among Thieves, Killzone 2, Yakuza 3, Gran Turismo 5, InFamous, MAG, Quantum Theory and more will rock !

- Pricedrop: Produce a Bluray drive will be cheaper after time, and Sony will be able to sell PS3 a little bit cheaper.

----------------

and if you look into the future:

- Sony has a new Format: Blu ray. until the next generation arrives: it will be much faster, and there will be Discs, that can store hundreds of Gigabyte´s. And Games WILL be bigger, so Microsoft must: a.) buy the Blu ray license´s from Sony / b.)  create a new kind of disc. both options are expensive, so sony will be able to sell PS4 earlier to a lower Price then Microsoft its 720 ;)  (so it will be vice versa to the present sitation.)

The Sun will shine for Sony - later, but it will.

not sure about this one. Sony is struggling and really I do not think they could afford a price cut even into next year.

Speaking of which didn't sony just raise prices of everything other than the PS3 in Europe to help balance the difference in currency? It doesn't seem logical that they'd lower price if they could suddenly turn a small profit. That strategy would work if they were selling heavy software but they don't dominate in that department like the PS2 did. It would be better to turn a profit on hardware if that is the case then to eat it and hope to make it up in software.

Loss Leading works in a certain financial atmosphere, which we don't have right now and mostly when you are in the lead or selling heavy software to subsidize the hardware loss. Sony has neither and has a past 2 years of profit loss on their roster with the PS3. It would be physically irresponsible for them to try and continue to play loss leader and may deter investors who worry about the security of their investments.

but wait i thought it was 07...no i mean 08...no i mean 09

Well, I know that we've been seeing threads since the PS3 launched that claimed that 2007 would be the "Year of the PS3" and when that didn't happen 2008 would be the "Year of the PS3" ... All of these threads have lists of games, many of which end up being not that high of quality, and may sell poorly.

I was expecting threads on why 2009 would be the "Year of the PS3" and it appears I was correct.

What these threads never take into consideration is that when something is on the horizon it will look great but may not turn out to be that good when released (Lair, Haze), there is nothing saying that a game that is announced for your platform today will be released for your platform in the future (or exclusively in the future), and games can be delayed for a very long time (Killzone 2 was supposed to be the big hit for Christmas 2007).

kirby007 said:
I don't believe in a pricedrop in Q1 or Q2 or Q3 or even Q4 in 2009

Why?

Sony needs to show profit.

Why the hell would you go even deeper in the red, if sony as a whole is weak....?

We might see another fire sale bait and switch. 80GB at $300, and the new low end SKU is 160GB at $400. Those seem to be pretty popular with Sony.