By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSP-4000 in 2009, PSP2 later

According to eurogamer site there is going to be a PSP-4000 in 2009 (!!!!)

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=343940

The article:

Sony plans to refresh the PlayStation Portable product line with a PSP-4000 model in late 2009 and launch a true successor - a PSP2, if you like - later.

Publishing sources, speaking to Eurogamer, were unable to provide any further detail on next year's update, which will presumably follow this year's PSP-3000 in taking an iterative approach.

Even fewer details were available on the PSP successor, but we're told that developers are already working on games.

Sony has not ruled out either scenario, despite SCEE president David Reeves' assertion in MCV last week that "there are currently no plans for a PSP2". "I go to Tokyo quite a lot and no one has referred to it - I think they have their hands full at the moment," he said, non-committally.

Sony UK told Eurogamer today that it would not comment on rumour and speculation.

anyway they dont deny that they work on PSP2, my guess we will learn a lot more about it in a years time. What to you think?

Around the Network

psp4000 will be on the market for probabally a year before psp2 comes out. That will put the psp at 7 year lifespan if SONY decides to discoutinue it then. Ha! people were telling me they would bring the psp2 out next holiday.

I think that I won't buy a psp3000 lol. Seriously, the only thing that would be interesting with a psp4k is if it goes full DL and so remove the UMD slot. Doing that, they'll be able to release their psp4k at a lower price (99$) and with a much longer battery life. Of course: no UMD slot = psn cards in europe!

Wasn't there a thread just the other day about how SCEA's president said Sony had no plans for a PSP2...?

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Cheebee said:
Wasn't there a thread just the other day about how SCEA's president said Sony had no plans for a PSP2...?

they said the are working on it. completely different than having plans to release it.  You have to R&D before you plan to release it.

Around the Network
Cheebee said:

Yes there was, thats why i am happy to reading this!

This great news, psp2 is atleast 2 years away

I think it would (probably) make more sense for Sony to release a new PSP in 2009 than to hold off to 2010 ...

The hardware sales for the PSP aren't bad, but the software sales are awful and this has resulted in the PSP having very few games released in 2008 (compared to other systems). It is likely that 2009 will be a year with even fewer game releases for the PSP, and 2010 could even be much worse than that ... It is never a good idea to leave a system on the market for 12 to 18 months with very few game releases.

Well of course they're gonna release a new PSP, I mean, no matter how horribly bad it did compared to the DS, it's still doing pretty alright. Besides, Sony'll need it, 'cause a few years from now PS2 will be completely dead, and it doesn't look like PS3 will be quite the goldmine they were initially expecting it to be.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

HappySqurriel said:

I think it would (probably) make more sense for Sony to release a new PSP in 2009 than to hold off to 2010 ...

The hardware sales for the PSP aren't bad, but the software sales are awful and this has resulted in the PSP having very few games released in 2008 (compared to other systems). It is likely that 2009 will be a year with even fewer game releases for the PSP, and 2010 could even be much worse than that ... It is never a good idea to leave a system on the market for 12 to 18 months with very few game releases.

I think SE and Level 5 are developing for the PSP along with media molecule and of course in house developers with games like madden launching on the system. PSP will be fine SW this year.

PSP hasn't got enough good games in order to buy it, i hope PSP2 has better games, then i may bother with it

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^