By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Will/should VGChartz include iPhone in the handheld gaming platform charts?

As much as I would like to see this happen, It's probably impractical

We couldn't track games - Apple is quite closemouthed about most sales figures
Even hardware would be hard for VGChartz to track - a high proportion of sales are online, and very few are from the retailers that VGChartz tracks

Around the Network
hotrodx said:
VGChartz only tracks standard retail sales, AFAIK.

If they try anything otherwise, then they had to track XBLA, VC and PSN games.

It won't stop anyone else from tracking sales, like MrStickball tracks XBLA sales. But I don't know if VGChartz should do it themselves.

So can VGChartz just ask Apple and AT&T and BestBuy or whoever else sells them for the numbers?  Is this harder than for consoles for some reason?  IMHO it seems it should be the same.

scottie said:
As much as I would like to see this happen, It's probably impractical

We couldn't track games - Apple is quite closemouthed about most sales figures
Even hardware would be hard for VGChartz to track - a high proportion of sales are online, and very few are from the retailers that VGChartz tracks

Ah I see. That's a good point.  I wonder though, if iPhone/iPod touch sales got to the 50M mark, would there be enough value in it to expend the extra effort?

As mentioned earlier, the problem is that VGChartz simply doesn't track downloaded games at the momet. As all the Iphones games are downloadable ones, there will be no tracking of it on the weekly page.

The only way we could get software, is by press releases and such stating how much software had been sold up untill that date. Still, we would have to weekly sales, and the numbers would always be outdated.

The HW could be trackable, so that's a point that could be stressed. It may be a bit harder to track, but as it also gets more press releases stating how much it has sold than the DS/PsP does, so it would be easier to adjust the numbers.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Yes, it's becoming more and more apparent that the iPhone is in the console/handheld market. Check this out:

Currently playing: Wii Fit / The Sims 3

Try  PrizeRebel , it could make you  rich ! I have  $15.80 USD  so far. I  love  BengaBenga' Most Wante lists.
$                     $  $  $