By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Funny trend I noticed this gen...

So I watched the new GOW3 trailer from the VGAs on GT and took some time to read the comments. One of the comments on the first page went along the line of "if M$ buys God of War's contract then it's over for the ps3..."

I'm not about to argue about how misinformed that statement is but something more peculiar. Last gen, when xbox was nowhere close to the ps2, the box still got great exclusives like KOTOR, Panzer Dragoon, Ninja Gaiden (i bought one because of this), Jade Empire, and many others.

This gen, the ps3 has lost virtually all it's 3rd party exclusives because it's fallen 7.1 mil behind the 360 among other problems. Okay, now last gen I was still an avid browser of gaming websites and the only game I remember ps2 fans then making a fuss about its unavailability to them was Resident Evil 4 (GC) which was kind of understandable due to the series coming to life on playstation. I too was surprised when capcom initially skipped the ps2.

Fast forward to this gen: we get endless clamoring for mgs4 and ffvxiii from 360 fans because the 360 is 7.1 mil ahead (nothing, compared to ps2 vs xbox) and even a comment about God of War III? With the purportedly vastly superior xbox 360 library, why are many 360 fans still fussing over 2 ps3 games (probably 1 eventually because I think FFvXIII is going to 360)? It really doesn't make sense. Last gen ps2 owners seem to mostly just ignore other consoles because they had so much to play but this gen, the ps3 can't be left alone?

It's really strange...

Thoughts?

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network

Don't worry. Those types of people who just constantly rag and say comments such as "god of war 360 blahblahblah" are the ones you basically have to just call stupid and leave, otherwise if you stay around them too long you'll get infected by their stupid. After that then you end up becoming one of those types of people, except for the opposite side. Its a case known as fanboyitis, or "disease of fanboy". Its pretty contagious, and i think the first ever case was discovered in a Zebra.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

People find no need to get the PS3, because they are used to knowing that the XBOX 360 gets every game the ps3 gets, so whats the point of wasting money on the ps3?

They still believe MGS4 is coming to xbox 360, and I bet most of the viewers on Spike's VGAs believe GOD OF WAR 3 is coming to the XBOX 360 as well. Thats where the ps2 audience is going.

mM
Shadowblind said:

Don't worry. Those types of people who just constantly rag and say comments such as "god of war 360 blahblahblah" are the ones you basically have to just call stupid and leave, otherwise if you stay around them too long you'll get infected by their stupid. After that then you end up becoming one of those types of people, except for the opposite side. Its a case known as fanboyitis, or "disease of fanboy". Its pretty contagious, and i think the first ever case was discovered in a Zebra.

Funny you mentioned that. I wanted to reply to the GT GOW3 comment but I held myself back realizing that it really was pointless.

I mean, a bunch of green symbols appear on konami's website and the whole internet explodes with the explanation that it's some cryptic allusion to mgs4 360. Wow, just wow lol.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

I don't own a 360. But I think there's an admiration for PS3 exclusives by 360 owners (and vice versa). They just don't admit it.

That's why I think guys who own all the current gen systems (Wii, 360, PS3) are the lucky ones.

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad.

Around the Network

I think this can be explained.

Many franchises associated to the PS are not actually owned by Sony. While many did start or get popular on Playstation, most aren't owned by them (FF, KH, MH, DMC, RE, MGS, Tekken, etc etc). It can't be denied that the PS brand had a vast majority of the biggest franchises exclusive to Sony systems, simply because they sold so much.

Now that the tides have turned, people want to play these games on their preferred system. With so many "PS games" going multiplat (or jumping ship altogether), GoW3 somehow gets mixed in there... people are just getting spoiled with the amount of franchises that have turned, and are either greedy, or are ignorant to the fact Sony owns the IP. The latter is actually understandable, a few years ago I couldn't tell you what IP's Sony or Microsoft owns (in fact people still get things mixed up here).

there have only been a very few games on 360 that I ever wished would become multiplat, Bioshock and Fable 2, so I got half my wish. though I know what you mean, I've never understood this mindset, but if i'm being honest FFXIII surprised the hell out of me, but I don't think MGS4 would be possible and GoWIII is being published by Sony??? how weird

c0rd said:

I think this can be explained.

Many franchises associated to the PS are not actually owned by Sony. While many did start or get popular on Playstation, most aren't owned by them (FF, KH, MH, DMC, RE, MGS, Tekken, etc etc). It can't be denied that the PS brand had a vast majority of the biggest franchises exclusive to Sony systems, simply because they sold so much.

Now that the tides have turned, people want to play these games on their preferred system. With so many "PS games" going multiplat (or jumping ship altogether), GoW3 somehow gets mixed in there... people are just getting spoiled with the amount of franchises that have turned, and are either greedy, or are ignorant to the fact Sony owns the IP. The latter is actually understandable, a few years ago I couldn't tell you what IP's Sony or Microsoft owns (in fact people still get things mixed up here).

I understand your point. All the series you mentioned have pretty much left  except for mgs4. Thing is, we buy consoles for the games we want right? They've chosen 360s for whatever reasons. Most say it's library is vastly superior to the ps3's. Then why the endless interest in ps3 games especially from non-ps3 owners? I don't remeber ps2 owners making such a fuss over stuff like morrowind last gen.

For more proof, check out GT. FFvXIII's trailer has more view and comments than the real FFXIII. Never has an FF spin-off gotten more attention than the original.

I remember that when  original trailers for both games, ffxiii had 2x as many views as ffvXIII. Suddenly, versus is now more popular when GT is mostly American and we all know how far behind ps3 is over here.

vizunary said:
there have only been a very few games on 360 that I ever wished would become multiplat, Bioshock and Fable 2, so I got half my wish. though I know what you mean, I've never understood this mindset, but if i'm being honest FFXIII surprised the hell out of me, but I don't think MGS4 would be possible and GoWIII is being published by Sony??? how weird

Honestly I was shocked by ffxii as well. But with all the talk of mgs4, panzer dragoon:orta was a good game by sega which was somehow exclusive to xbox. I don't recall any whining then even though the userbase difference was ungodly and the game would've made a nice home on ps2.

I don't understand the mindset either. When I became convinced of the xbox games I wanted to play, I went out and got one. My cousin bought the GC only because of The Twin Snakes even though he already played mgs1 because he's a huge mgs fan. I don't recall there ever being so much fuss about exclusives lol.

Thats cause we 360 owners are a greedy bunch :P And the PS2 had so many games that they didn't want any more games because they were busy with the hundreds of games that they could play.