By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Family angry because supermarket won't inscribe cake to son, Adolf Hitler

I can see both sides but in the end, the kid is penalised for the stupidity. Poor kid.

Mother's side: The supermarket won't make a cake just because of his name, though he is in no way THE Adolf Hitler... The kid has nothing to do with the Nazis so it's harsh for him.

Supermarket: The parents were stupid for giving him this name... Would spark MUCH controversy and again, poor kid, he didn't chose his name and will suffer because of it.

In any case, this whole thing is stupid. Just make him a blank cake, the parents then can write the name on it. Problem solved! The effing end.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Onyxmeth said:
Kasz216 said:
jv103 said:

I don't see a curb on civil liberties here. They did name their children exactly what they wanted. Now if the name garners and adverse response, well too fucking bad. I would have made the cake personally and put a screened image of Auschwitz on it for fun. Have fun with your delusions of supremacy, that's what I say.

Guys I don't see the problem with the store refusing service. It's sort of like this. There are no laws saying I can't walk like a crab everywhere I go, but by doing so I am breaking the norms of a society and therefore will reinforce the norm views of the majority against my deviant behavior. It's pretty natural response within a community or society.

Just find a fucking cakeshop that will write the damn message, jesus christ. God damn can't we just euthanize people. I'm sick of these non story stories. It's like people just do shit to get on the fucking news. Why can't I walk around naked in stores, imposing clothes on me...that's bullshit. We all got bodies, why can't i keep mine uncovered? Becuase the fascists in power think it offends the sensibilities of the culture. So does naming your kid Hitler, I guess. Don't you remember the good old days, those nostalgic (non-existent days) where we had so many more civil liberties? I say we either just dissolve government and that way anyone can do whatever they want, or stop focusing on these ridiculous stories about infringed liberties. I thought by joining a society we automatically assumed that we lose "some natural liberties" (Locke).

Well this was a ridiculous rant but I'm sick of people eating up this shit.

You can't refuse service to people because of their race.

Why should you be able to refuse service because of their name?

So should they force their employees to do something against their own morals? Obviously the company as a whole is against this since a spokesperson said themselves they will not indulge this request. It isn't like they wouldn't serve them at all. They let them buy a cake, they will write on the cake everything but the "Adolf Hitler" part of the name, and they will either sell or give them the tools necessary to finish the job. That sounds pretty fair.

As previously mentioned, what if the request was a swear word like "Cocksucker"? Should Shoprite bite the bullet and write that on cakes too? If I should be allowed to request anything, then I should have no limits to what I can have written on a cake. What if the next request out of those folks is a pretty little blue frosting swastika above their child's name? Would you finally say "enough is enough" or should we allow them their civil liberties still? How about if it was an anniversary cake? "Happy Anniversary to Hitler's reign over Nazi Germany. Fuck you Jews!". At what point should Shoprite step in and say "no", if at all?

What if it's against someoens morals to serve someone who is black?

What if it's against their morals not only to write a black persons name on the cake but sell them at all.

This can go both ways eaisly.

There's the difference. Shoprite didn't deny them a cake. Your argument may hold more weight had they done that. They offered everything to those people outside of physically writing the words Adolf Hitler on the cake. Had they been denied any service whatsoever I would clearly be on your end of the argument, because that is just wrong. There is a difference between not wanting to offer someone a service and having an issue with what is being written on the cake itself. Had the mother not been throwing the Adolf Hitler in the employees' faces, and simply went with "Happy Birthday Adolf" like normal people do, I bet there would have been a different end scenario.

Nice job cherry picking the one sentence of my argument you felt you had any rebuttal to. Care to speak on the rest of it?

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

fazz said:
So, let's say that someone naked and covered with crap wants to shop at their store. You guys are saying that they would be wrong at not letting them in?

No, discriminating someone covered in crap would be acceptable. Someone covered with crap would be a public health hazard and would be prohibited from all public or private premises.

Onyxmeth said:
Kasz216 said:
jv103 said:

I don't see a curb on civil liberties here. They did name their children exactly what they wanted. Now if the name garners and adverse response, well too fucking bad. I would have made the cake personally and put a screened image of Auschwitz on it for fun. Have fun with your delusions of supremacy, that's what I say.

Guys I don't see the problem with the store refusing service. It's sort of like this. There are no laws saying I can't walk like a crab everywhere I go, but by doing so I am breaking the norms of a society and therefore will reinforce the norm views of the majority against my deviant behavior. It's pretty natural response within a community or society.

Just find a fucking cakeshop that will write the damn message, jesus christ. God damn can't we just euthanize people. I'm sick of these non story stories. It's like people just do shit to get on the fucking news. Why can't I walk around naked in stores, imposing clothes on me...that's bullshit. We all got bodies, why can't i keep mine uncovered? Becuase the fascists in power think it offends the sensibilities of the culture. So does naming your kid Hitler, I guess. Don't you remember the good old days, those nostalgic (non-existent days) where we had so many more civil liberties? I say we either just dissolve government and that way anyone can do whatever they want, or stop focusing on these ridiculous stories about infringed liberties. I thought by joining a society we automatically assumed that we lose "some natural liberties" (Locke).

So should they force their employees to do something against their own morals? Obviously the company as a whole is against this since a spokesperson said themselves they will not indulge this request. It isn't like they wouldn't serve them at all. They let them buy a cake, they will write on the cake everything but the "Adolf Hitler" part of the name, and they will either sell or give them the tools necessary to finish the job. That sounds pretty fair.

As previously mentioned, what if the request was a swear word like "Cocksucker"? Should Shoprite bite the bullet and write that on cakes too? If I should be allowed to request anything, then I should have no limits to what I can have written on a cake. What if the next request out of those folks is a pretty little blue frosting swastika above their child's name? Would you finally say "enough is enough" or should we allow them their civil liberties still? How about if it was an anniversary cake? "Happy Anniversary to Hitler's reign over Nazi Germany. Fuck you Jews!". At what point should Shoprite step in and say "no", if at all?

I think your blowing this a touch out of proportion just like the stop itself.

This store is showing hate towards a name that is probably pretty common. Adolf is a pretty big name in Germany and Hitler is probably a big name for a middle game. Just because a person's name is similar to a man in history doesnt mean that they should instantly be cast out as being the same person as the person with the same name.

It would be like going to Jerusalem and meeting someone with the name Jesus Christ than spitting in his face because your Muslim. The man might have the name of the Christian holy man but he is not the Christian holy man, he is an average guy who has the same name as the guy in the religion.

Your entire last paragraph is completely out of line because it adds nothing to the conversation but showing biased hate towards civil liberties of people.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Jackson50 said:
fazz said:
So, let's say that someone naked and covered with crap wants to shop at their store. You guys are saying that they would be wrong at not letting them in?

No, discriminating someone covered in crap would be acceptable. Someone covered with crap would be a public health hazard and would be prohibited from all public or private premises.

mattering what CRAP is. Are we talking do-do or are we talking cloth of some form. If we are talking the first one than yes if we are talking about the second I;d have to say only if your talking about an upscale store. We have a guy come into WalMart in a cloth robe all the time..

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
Onyxmeth said:

This store is showing hate towards a name that is probably pretty common. Adolf is a pretty big name in Germany and Hitler is probably a big name for a middle game. Just because a person's name is similar to a man in history doesnt mean that they should instantly be cast out as being the same person as the person with the same name.

It would be like going to Jerusalem and meeting someone with the name Jesus Christ than spitting in his face because your Muslim. The man might have the name of the Christian holy man but he is not the Christian holy man, he is an average guy who has the same name as the guy in the religion.

Your entire last paragraph is completely out of line because it adds nothing to the conversation but showing biased hate towards civil liberties of people.

You really believe the naming was unintentional? Adolf Hitler Campbell? Do you not see how that doesn't quite fit? The mother and father's names are Deborah and Heath Campbell. Pretty typical american names, that somehow felt to name their children after Nazi affiliations. The other daughter's middle name is Aryan Nation. Is that a common middle name too? If you want to argue civil liberties, then fine. Just don't pretend to be gullible and play these names of as innocent coincidences.

Again, maybe you are the one blowing this out of proportion. No one spat in these people's faces or disrespected them in any similar manner, so I don't see how your second paragraph is relevant. Secondly, Jesus Christ is not a name tied to a genocidal murderer, even though some of his followers ended up being them.

Can you explain in greater detail exactly why my third paragraph is out of line and showing biased hate towards civil liberties? Are you saying those cakes in my examples should have been made also?

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

What if Deborah's maiden name was German or either of their mother's maiden names were German? Just because the paternal grandfather's surname was American does not mean the other three grandparent's surnames were also American. What if they named him (Adolph) after a relative on either his or her side? That is a plausible scenario and would be discriminating against the child because of his national origin. Now, the store may be able to argue that the other daughter's name, Aryan Nation, was an indication that the child was in fact named as a political statement. Therefore, the store would retain the right to refuse putting the name on the cake. They could also argue that they were accommodating to provide the same service while also refusing to put the name on themselves. Of course, that could be contested.

All of this is a moot point, however, as the family simply chose to have the cake made at Wal-Mart.

ssj12 said:
Onyxmeth said:
Kasz216 said:
jv103 said:

Muslims believe Jesus was a prophet.

Infact he's regarded as one of their 5 larget prophets.

Onyxmeth said:
ssj12 said:
Onyxmeth said:

You really believe the naming was unintentional? Adolf Hitler Campbell? Do you not see how that doesn't quite fit? The mother and father's names are Deborah and Heath Campbell. Pretty typical american names, that somehow felt to name their children after Nazi affiliations. The other daughter's middle name is Aryan Nation. Is that a common middle name too? If you want to argue civil liberties, then fine. Just don't pretend to be gullible and play these names of as innocent coincidences.

Again, maybe you are the one blowing this out of proportion. No one spat in these people's faces or disrespected them in any similar manner, so I don't see how your second paragraph is relevant. Secondly, Jesus Christ is not a name tied to a genocidal murderer, even though some of his followers ended up being them.

Can you explain in greater detail exactly why my third paragraph is out of line and showing biased hate towards civil liberties? Are you saying those cakes in my examples should have been made also?

No those cake and cake decorations shouldnt be made but the generalization of sarcasm towards the subject of civil liberties is there.

Biased hate probably shouldnt have been the term used. It probably should have been something along the lines of showing show subjective question towards a subject when it isnt needed.

But for your comment of names why not switch Jesus Christ with say a name like Osama Bin Laden Hussan. If you meet some guy with that name would it be right for you or someone else to show instant hate towards that person because of his name?

lol xD That kid got pwnd!

and the other kids dun get cake! but srsly...adolf hitler!? *lolz*