By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PC World: CNN is wrong to call PS3 a sinking ship

PC World has hit back at a recent article which suggested that the PS3 is a sinking ship. They pick up on some things from the article such as a belief the PS3 does not have any must have exclusive titles by stating that it does with the likes of Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Ratchet & Clank Future, Wipeout HD, Valkyria Chronicles, the original Resistance: Fall of Man (twice the game the sequel is, in my opinion), and MLB 08: The Show.

Quote:
Quick points...

CNN's right that the video-game industry isn't recession proof. Nothing is. The rest of us saying as much merely mean "recession-proof-so-far," which it clearly is compared to other ebbing economic indices.

CNN says the differences between Blu-ray and DVD are hard to see on a TV less than 50". I suppose that'd be true if your eyes are somehow genetically fixed at 720 x 480 (NTSC). For the rest of us, Blu-ray at even 720p (1280 x 720) with all its other commensurate upticks in sample rates and color quality is shockingly better than the visuals output of the average DVD.

And finally, "the PS3 just doesn't have any must-have titles exclusive to the console." Really? I guess CNN's not familiar (or perhaps just not partial to) exclusives like Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Ratchet & Clank Future, Wipeout HD, Valkyria Chronicles, the original Resistance: Fall of Man (twice the game the sequel is, in my opinion), and MLB 08: The Show. When you're talking new unit sales, you count the whole history of notable exclusives, not just the last month or two of holiday attention-grabbers.

News Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/155483/is_sonys_ps3_really_a_sinking_ship.html

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

We all know it's not a sinking ship

Just the regular anti-PS3/Sony propaganda.

Feels like 2007 all over again. I think I'm getting misty.

I knew CNN was talking trash with their PS3 is doomed talk , hopefully PC world gets the message through.

That article wasn't really written by CNN, just copied at the CNN Money page as many financial blog articles are. It wasn't well written, but some of the points it made are at least close to some of the reasons why the PS3 isn't doing well.

I have to say this rebuttal is not great either. While it seems fine on the surface, it's reaching a bit at some points. Wipeout HD and Resistance being must-have exclusives? The point about Blu-Ray is also not exactly very relevant for the majority of customers. Please, let's keep this real...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

CNN is all you need to say to take credibility away from an article

Around the Network
NJ5 said:

That article wasn't really written by CNN, just copied at the CNN Money page as many financial blog articles are. It wasn't well written, but some of the points it made are at least close to some of the reasons why the PS3 isn't doing well.

I have to say this rebuttal is not great either. While it seems fine on the surface, it's reaching a bit at some points. Wipeout HD and Resistance being must-have exclusives? The point about Blu-Ray is also not exactly very relevant for the majority of customers. Please, let's keep this real...

The CNN article was making a point that the PS3 game library was poor and that most people you could not see the difference between Blu-Ray and DVD on a TV smaller than 50 inch....

If that's not propaganda, I don't know what is.............

PS : WipeoutHD got very good ratings, that must be why it made their list of exclusives.

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

The ship is listing... can Sony right it?

Maybe.. I think December will show a better picture. If the PS3 sells less this December than December 07 then prepare for more "doom threads".

December NDP = Iceberg... hold on to your butts, its gonna be close!

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

most of sonys exclusive games are that appealiong. drakes fortune,lair?
please...

and the one that are dontn sell, thus its a sinking ship.. bye bye

hello how are you.

Paperdiego said:
most of sonys exclusive games are that appealiong. drakes fortune, and appalling, lair?
please...

Fixed that for you.

Paperdiego said:
most of sonys exclusive games are that appealiong. drakes fortune,lair?
please...

And now in English? :-/