By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The future of PS home

I logged in to PS Home before the open beta and found it to be as terrible as every one here has said. There is no reason to "play" it, so I wonder after all this negativity how can Sony claim that it will be a system seller and that is so ambitious? Well a Sony representative said that is not a game but a development platform. So I started thinking, what could that mean? A development platform.. uhmmm? So I have come up with a theory and would like to read what you guys think about it, and how successful home would be if it is the way the theory presents it. 

Those that have loaded home have notice that is divided into zones, and there are a few now, well what if Sony have provided a tool kit to developers where they can make a games like Tony hawk, Mario kart way, etc and publish them in home? Players would use their avatar to skate or drive or whatever. This kind of makes sense. What if you can load a zone where a lot of people are snow boarding, a zone for playing basket ball, a zone playing tennis or a zone for playing a game like scum  SOCOM? 

This tool kit would allow developers to concentrate on gameplay mechanics and use the prebuild graphic engine, Of course there would have to be instances. The fact that home download in zones would allow me to download in-home games that am interested on. Does this make sense to you guys???? Do you think that this could be what they mean and that this could be the purpose of this.... "Thing" that Sony is hyping?

Please comment

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

Around the Network

I wonder after all this negativity how can Sony claim that it will be a system seller and that is so ambitious?

=>

They have already said it is not a system seller

papflesje said:
I wonder after all this negativity how can Sony claim that it will be a system seller and that is so ambitious?

=>

They have already said it is not a system seller

Radha even provided the link for you...

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=203980

Read the article the source is in my comment

Hey Listen!

@ benga: meh, I just mentioned what I read in another thread here on VGC.

There people were complaining that Sony was being pessimistic when they said it would not be a system seller. Now people will complain that they are being unrealistic...

Around the Network

Please guys comment on the topic, i really want to know what you think.

Hey Listen!

It's a nice idea, but would developers bother?

Their time would be better spent on games.

Just like Sony's.

drpunk said:
It's a nice idea, but would developers bother?

Their time would be better spent on games.

Just like Sony's.

First and second parties could bother. Remenber that a year a go you could ask the same question about the developing for the ps3. Thats what valve said "Why bother developing for the ps3?". So it is posible to get devs for on home specially if the Tool kit reduces cost a lot, it would be like a second PSN Store but embended.

Hey Listen!

Why would a developer bother? Game advertisement is a start :P I doubt they have to pay much to maintain a home space, and you could theoretically get millions of people to check out your home area. It's all advertisement ^^

Home is going to go through a ton of changes throughout it's coarse that's for sure :P But I see home spaces focusing more on the game they're trying to promote. I saw a video of the warhawk space, and it showed people forming parties, planning strategies on some map, then launching the game from home, while retaining a party :P If that's true, then home will be they're gateway to forming parties and such with friends.

Besides, from the look of it, developing home spaces are really easy. It's not like it takes a ton of effort. And it's a great way to show your commitment to a fanbase :P Sony's probably just going to put more effort into making Home more accessible for mass adoption, at which point they'll reap the rewards of advertisement payouts ^_^

Edit: I don't see them launching actual games themselves in home, just simple stuff. Home is more a means of interacting with other players, the games are just there to kill time IMO.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

ChronotriggerJM said:

Why would a developer bother? Game advertisement is a start :P I doubt they have to pay much to maintain a home space, and you could theoretically get millions of people to check out your home area. It's all advertisement ^^

Home is going to go through a ton of changes throughout it's coarse that's for su re :P But I see home spaces focusing more on the game they're trying to promote. I saw a video of the warhawk space, and it showed people forming parties, planning strategies on some map, then launching the game from home, while retaining a party :P If that's true, then home will be they're gateway to forming parties and such with friends.

Besides, from the look of it, developing home spaces are really easy. It's not like it takes a ton of effort. And it's a great way to show your commitment to a fanbase :P Sony's probably just going to put more effort into making Home more accessible for mass adoption, at which point they'll reap the rewards of advertisement payouts ^_^

Edit: I don't see them launching actual games themselves in home, just simple stuff. Home is more a means of interacting with other players, the games are just there to kill time IMO.

The problem i have with what you are saying is that, i find it easier to build a party at any internet fan site, there are fansites for everything and they have forums, so making a party use the ps3 mail system and inviting people is easier that way i think. They have to make people play home, not only launch games from it, because no one would see the ads. 

Hey Listen!