By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Optical drives need to be kicked to the curb! Flash is the next-gen future.

Khuutra said:
hotrodx said:

Still, if the consoles do switch to solid-state drives, how do you handle backward compatibility? A PS4 without PS3 BC? A next gen XBox without 360 BC? A next get Ninty console without Wii BC? I don't think people will take it nicely if you offer BC by purchasing an external device.

If I were to bet money - and I don't - it woul work like this:

If Nintendo decides to go with flash drives in the next Wii, it will be in addition to a disc driv e for the sake of full backwards compatibility. It will take at least another generation after that (maybe two) before they willingly abandon hardware backwards compatibility with the current console for the sake of digital downloads.

Long-term yes, it is more expensive for the consumer, but it's still a pretty neat idea.

Well, the transition *might* be easy for Nintendo and Microsoft if they take this route. But not for Sony because of BR.

Imagine a PS4 with a BR for PS3 BC, but no PS4 games will ever use the BR drive (because if it did, then they have to support BR again for PS5, if ever).

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad.

Around the Network

I'm sure both M$ and Ninty will have optical media...since people will still have their dvds, anf for BC, because I don't forsee M$ killing 360 like they did for the last console...this console was built with efficiencies in mind, unlike the last one.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

hotrodx said:

Well, the transition *might* be easy for Nintendo and Microsoft if they take this route. But not for Sony because of BR.

Imagine a PS4 with a BR for PS3 BC, but no PS4 games will ever use the BR drive (because if it did, then they have to support BR again for PS5, if ever).

Agreed. Sony is in something of a pickle... unless they abandon backwards compatibility, which is very possible.

Don't make mistakes, all of them will go optical for their consoles, obviously flash media for the handhelds, and here's why:

You are only talking about MS, Ninty and Sony, but you don't count something into the equation: 3rd PARTY PUBLISHERS...

Remember that 3rd party is key to all of them, and 3rd party is not going to abandon the really cheap media for going flash in consoles... For that to happen the difference in cost has to be small enough to go that route, and right now, while optical cost less than $1 to manufacture (as opposed to 32 GB flash that cost $50 in retail, now figure how much is the production cost), it's not convenient for 3rd parties, unless Microsoft is willing to pay a lot of money to them for compensate costs (and we know Ninty won't take that route)...

I still remember when Square got in a fight with Yamauchi because of many things but the hardest one was because the 64 MB cartridge, while optical costed a lot less and brought 700 MB per disc... Ninty won't make the same mistake again, they're already slowly recovering 3rd party support...

I like to own physical media this allows me to loan my copies to my friends. I am not a fan of digital only media. I will buy a game as long as I get BOTH.

Around the Network
The Anarchyz said:
Don't make mistakes, all of them will go optical for their consoles, obviously flash media for the handhelds, and here's why:

You are only talking about MS, Ninty and Sony, but you don't count something into the equation: 3rd PARTY PUBLISHERS...

Remember that 3rd party is key to all of them, and 3rd party is not going to abandon the really cheap media for going flash in consoles... For that to happen the difference in cost has to be small enough to go that route, and right now, while optical cost less than $1 to manufacture (as opposed to 32 GB flash that cost $50 in retail, now figure how much is the production cost), it's not convenient for 3rd parties, unless Microsoft is willing to pay a lot of money to them for compensate costs (and we know Ninty won't take that route)...

I still remember when Square got in a fight with Yamauchi because of many things but the hardest one was because the 64 MB cartridge, while optical costed a lot less and brought 700 MB per disc... Ninty won't make the same mistake again, they're already slowly recovering 3rd party support...

You don't count something in your figuring of the costs of optical media. Every disk produced costs publishers ~$7 if you count royalties, ~$10 if you count transportation and packaging along with retail space.

If a console manufacturer can release and sell hardware for a profit then they won't need to rely on as much in the way of royalties per disk and can easily subsidise the cost of a basic level of flash media, say 8 or 16gb and let publishers pay additional royalties if they wish to use higher capacity media. At least until the cost of flash starts to scale down to rock bottom levels.

See flash based retail packaging would cost less than half as much to transport, retailers would love it as they could fit more than twice as many games into the same space, and therefore the number of retailers willing to carry games would increase and unsold flash drives can be recycled and therefore recoop much of the production cost if a game bombs.

If you look at the hardware itself, optical drives make sense really only when you're looking at two current generation consoles duct taped together. Even then, Nintendo has shown that lowering hardware costs is one of the keys to success in the console business and im sure even if they want to follow on with another massive increase in performance that cutting the hardware costs to reasonable levels is a key factor in any possible success.

Lastly flash opens up some very real interesting future possibilities such as being able to rent games to completion instead of giving those pricks at gamestop a cent of your money. Also with downloads becoming more important, it will surely mitigate much of the cost of using flash media by balancing between the more expensive flash and the relatively cheaper online downloads (From a publishers perspective)

Tease.

famousringo said:
Squilliam said:
  • Cost/Reliability/Simplicity/Useability of the console. Though to be honest im more hurt that I couldn't find a way to make cost with an "ity" at the end.

Frugality. You're welcome.

The rate at which they increase flash capacity while reducing costs is indeed impressive, and it's not hard to imagine it as a viable storage medium for home consoles.

I'm very curious to see what Nintendo comes up with for holographic storage. Could a massive WORM drive and an internet connection replace optical discs and physical retailing?

Affordability would be closer. Frugality would measure how tight a console is with money.

Currently playing: Wii Fit / The Sims 3

Try  PrizeRebel , it could make you  rich ! I have  $15.80 USD  so far. I  love  BengaBenga' Most Wante lists.
$                     $  $  $                         

Although I think this discussion is interesting and I would love for games to distributed on flash drive, it simple isn't going to happen. The cost per gigabyte is too high and will ALWAYS be many times more expensive than optical media. Even if they can get it down to something as cheap as a dollar per drive (very unrealistic), that is still extremely expensive. The amount of money they would have made throughout the console's life with optical media would be in the hundreds of millions.

Good news Everyone!

I've invented a device which makes you read this in your head, in my voice!

The Anarchyz said:

Time to stop being short sighted. People are giving examples in todays figures mostly because people are questioning the idea in todays values. This is an idiotic mistep. No one expects in reality to shift to flash tomorrow. In reality next generation will starting seeing the evolution of flash to cathup. It's the generation after will such an idea start becoming feasible. Only becuase if you look at the rate of flash space vs optical/HDD space increase vs cost flash is going faster. It's been mentioned again and again, but 8 gb flash just some months ago was really expensive. It's less than half the price. faster than other current mediums. If this idea is hard to understand well. it's not our problem. Heck I remember having to load games from tape cassette, then 3.5 720kb disks, 3.5 1.4mb disks, then finally cd, if you can't believe another tech will pass the current. then your being delusional.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

jetrii said:
Although I think this discussion is interesting and I would love for games to distributed on flash drive, it simple isn't going to happen. The cost per gigabyte is too high and will ALWAYS be many times more expensive than optical media. Even if they can get it down to something as cheap as a dollar per drive (very unrealistic), that is still extremely expensive. The amount of money they would have made throughout the console's life with optical media would be in the hundreds of millions.

In fairness, there are ways to cut those costs down to a more manageable level, and only so much data can be used at a given time with a reasonable budget.