By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 44 pre-owned GTA4s Sitting on a shelf (to the tune of 10 green bottles)

Oyvoyvoyv said:
TheBigFatJ said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
TheBigFatJ said:
llewdebkram said:

An observation whilst looking in video game shops near me is just how many Pre-owned copies of GTA4 there are around, in one store a row of 44 on Xbox360.

In comparison and admitedly to gloat just a bit....0 Mario Kart Wiis new or preowned anywhere.

Why would you return Mario Kart Wii?  It has awesome online!

Considering their demographics, I'm sure Local Multiplayer is where it's at for most MK owners =)

I don't see it -- every time I play MK Online it is a blast and you'll notice that most of the people you play with are playing with friends (you can tell if people are sharing a Wii).

MK online is much better than GTA 4 online.  If you haven't played both, obviously, it wouldn't make sense to draw a comparison.  But I bet MK online has a lot more players than GTA 4 online also.  Probably many times as many.

His point is that less that 2/3 Wii owners have their Wii connected to the Internet (a little after half I believe)

I'm fairly certain more than 3/4 of the total time played MKWii is offline.

Heck, I have to say that MKWii online is insanely much more fun than online (with 3 friends of course).

Exactly... I'm sure MK is fun online and since it's one of those evergreen titles online games must be plenty even though the game got some months on it already. It's just that most of MK multiplayer is happening offline.

And I don't know why it needs to be compared to GTA4 since they are both very different games, besides trying to spin some kind of bragging rights out of it.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Around the Network
Sullla said:
llewdebkram said:

If Nintendo spent years being arrogant like Sony and believing they were untouchable I would feel the same about them.

I guess you weren't around in the late 80s and early 90s then.

Wait was Nintendo arrongant?

I like GTA4. I had alot of fun with Sanadreas but I think GTA4 is alot of fun.

Albion - Its Fun as Ballz !!!!!

The DLC is going to sell a gaggle of Used Copies.

How am I not surprised that the OP owns only a wii.. oh well. :)

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
@ dmeisterj yep, the old winners here are the game stores making double profit on selling a game twice.

Yups.

It's a shame too.

If the DLC hit like Epic's Gears 2 DLC (quick and early), then a lot more people would have held onto the game (theoretically), but because this is coming almost 10 months after the game released, with no content delivery in between, lots of people are over the game.

I know that lots of people aren't too, but people who buy the DLC and don't own the game will likely go the Used Game route, rather than buying a new game and DLC. 

Gamestop sucks.

ctk495 said:
Sullla said:
llewdebkram said:

If Nintendo spent years being arrogant like Sony and believing they were untouchable I would feel the same about them.

Wait was Nintendo arrongant?

Very much so.

If you can find a cheap copy, pick up Game Over. Details Nintendo's rise in the video game industry.

Sony has nothing on them.

Currently Playing:
Resistance 2 Co-op (anyone call for a Medic?)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PC)
F.E.A.R. (PC)

Currently Ignoring:
My 360 and Wii.

He had to ask if Nintendo was arrogant...haha!

@OT
As it should be. GTA4 is a terrible game..the only saving grace for it, in my opinion, is the online play. And that doesn't run smoothly often enough for me to be that interested in it. The only reason my copy isn't back on the store shelf is because I'm going to sell it directly to someone so I can make more money off it than Gamestop would offer me. Half.com is a great place to do such things if you have the patience.

Sullla said:
llewdebkram said:

I was but I didn't take much notice of who was doing what and I'd probably have been cheering for Sony under those circumstances.

Phoenix_Wiight said:
No, believe me, all the games I like aren't overrated, the lot of them are quite underrated. GTA IV did nothing for gaming- it took the same game that we've seen many times, put it in a new world with better graphics and a better control scheme, but made it less fun than any GTA game in the past few years.
GTA IV is a very simple game, with some great parts to it, but some completely average aspects to it- story, soundtrack, etc.
Most games like GTA IV that focus of on something like this usually are far from perfect, they are very SIMPLE. But that's okay, because it's what tons of people want, a really simple game that they can enjoy for a few minutes a day and then turn it off, like with Halo, GoW, etc.

Like I said, it's not a bad thing, because it's what a lot of people like, but just because people like it doesn't mean it deserves the scores that it gets. Sadly, in these days of gaming, the more people that like something the better the score it gets, where the less people that like something, the lower the score it gets. Notice that every game on the 360 that has guns and violence and is a shooter sells pretty damn well, and usually get great scores, while RPGs, platformers, and all the other genres don't get great scores (by most bias sites, such as Gamespot, who everyone knows gets paid off by companies to write good reviews.)

Mass popularity =/= If a game is good
It usually = a really simple, but fun game.

GTA IV did not deserve GoTY

Yeah, but see, I can take your first paragraph and do this with it and be just as accurate:

Fixed:  The Legend of Zelda:  Ocarina of Time or The Legend of Zelda:  Majora's Mask or The Legend of Zelda:  The Wind Waker, or The Legend of Zelda:  Twilight Princess or Mario Kart Wii, Metroid Prime 3 or Super Smash Brothers Whatever) did nothing for gaming- it took the same game that we've seen many times, put it in a new world with better graphics and a better control scheme, but made it less fun than any Zelda, Mario Kart, Metroid Prime, or Super Smash Brothers  game in the past few years. 

The story, soundtrack, gameplay in GTA IV are far from average.  I've already talked about the soundtrack.  Smashing Pumpkins in their prime, The Sisters of Mercy, many more.  Soundracks don't get better than that.

Your third paragraph fixed:

Most games like (Wii Play, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Animal Crossing:  City People, Mario Kart Wii in particular just a kart racer with cartoon characters) that focus of on what they do usually are far from perfect, they are very SIMPLE. But that's okay, because it's what tons of people want, a really simple game that they can enjoy for a few minutes a day and then turn it off, like Wii Sports, Mario Kart Wii), etc.

Such a cinematic masterpiece as GTA IV dealing with real issues effecting a real subgroup in our society and solutions to problems which might not be the most legal or ethical ways to go about trying to make your life as good as it can possibly be in a country where billion dollar bailouts go to billionaire companies while the poor gets jack and we may actually be headed back to the days of Dillinger and Capone as result really gets the shape that the Liberty City or Liberty Nation that America has become at this point in our history is in and it is a very accurate portrayal of our times. Sadly enough .  One can be thankful though that in our time video game critics much to the chagrin of fanboys across th entire spectrum of gaming have got this one thing right that GTA IV was at its release  and has remained the very best game of 2008.

Mass popularity usually results in idiotic comments   like Wii Fit should be Game of the Year because it has sold so many copies as a result of endorsements from the likes of Ellen Degeneris and CBS News promoting it for use by seniors that have a hard time exercising in other ways.

GTA IV definitely deserved to be Game of the Year in 2009.  But some argument can be made that MGS 4 deseved more than runner-up status and it should have been a tie. 

http://www.alternativetentacles.com/page.php?page=jello_openletter

Heavens to Murgatoids.