By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So Sony really got it right with Blu Ray

Garnett said:
Yes i know they can work with PS3 but its not gonna happen,just like how DVD can do 4x layer as well,its not gonna happen.

400 gigs is really good tho

Agreed that the PS3 won't utilize the huge discs... I was talking about blu-rays viability with the next gen systems.  Sorry for the confusion :P

It's all about the game.

Around the Network
lilwingman said:
Garnett said:
Yes i know they can work with PS3 but its not gonna happen,just like how DVD can do 4x layer as well,its not gonna happen.

400 gigs is really good tho

Agreed that the PS3 won't utilize the huge discs... I was talking about blu-rays viability with the next gen systems. Sorry for the confusion :P

Heh no prob,even tho blu ray is awesome,it wont be used fully now :(

There are two angles to look at this from.

1. Did Sony the company get it right with Blu-Ray? Sure, it's been a massive success and in the future may be able to take over majority market share from DVD.

2. Did Sony's gaming division get it right with Blu-Ray? Not at all. It is one of the main causes of the PS3 high price, and the high price is a big reason as to why Sony is dead last. Not to mention that it put the costs up so high that they are still getting a negative return on each PS3 sold.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Haha fortunately, for now I still think 50 GB is fine. Clearly Gears 2 on a DVD is a solid title, so 5x more space should be adequate for the foreseeable future.

By the way Garnett, new siggy is great. Little Asian girl was giving me seizures :)

It's all about the game.

Onyxmeth said:

1. Did Sony the company get it right with Blu-Ray? Sure, it's been a massive success and in the future may be able to take over majority market share from DVD.

2. Did Sony's gaming division get it right with Blu-Ray? Not at all. It is one of the main causes of the PS3 high price, and the high price is a big reason as to why Sony is dead last. Not to mention that it put the costs up so high that they are still getting a negative return on each PS3 sold.

Without Sony's gaming division including it with the PS3 it would have had a REAL struggle competing with the much cheaper HD-DVD.  It was a sacrifice play that ensured it's success.

Around the Network
Fumanchu said:
Onyxmeth said:

Without Sony's gaming division including it with the PS3 it would have had a REAL struggle competing with the much cheaper HD-DVD.  It was a sacrifice play that ensured it's success.

You are correct. It's success was at the expense of the gaming division. My point was clearly that. Sony as a whole wins, but the gaming division suffers so it can bring in a media format.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

^^^hopefully Sony will help the gaming division .gaming division did one for Sony and in 2009-2010 it will be Sony's turn to do something for the gaming division.

lilwingman said:
Haha fortunately, for now I still think 50 GB is fine. Clearly Gears 2 on a DVD is a solid title, so 5x more space should be adequate for the foreseeable future.

By the way Garnett, new siggy is great. Little Asian girl was giving me seizures :)

Heh,im gonna put a KZ2 sig up eventually.

@Onyxmeth i agree with both points,but the PS3 is a quality machine and thats why most people like it :p

YEY Blue-Ray

All the extra shit I never wanted on one disk!!

When the player is less than £50 and the movies less than £8, I might consider it!

^^^doesn't matter how high quality PS3 is.it has to come down in price.No gaming console in history was priced $400 and $500 given when it was 2 years old.

but it's built very good ,,,much better than PS2 and PS1.

it's quite and runs cool (when you put your hand behind the air vent after playing 3-4 hours session)