By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So Sony really got it right with Blu Ray

For Bluray...the prices of the movies had to come down. I have myself only got 4 movies.....& have till now rented 4 (although had not rented a DVD for more then a year). DVD....new ones...mostly selling at abt 17/18 & old ones less then 10 make them more appealling. Bluray at 25/30 plus...even the old movies..just is not going to move a lot.

Hopefully the movie studios can bring the price down....if they want better sales.

Around the Network
rajmarie said:
For Bluray...the prices of the movies had to come down. I have myself only got 4 movies.....& have till now rented 4 (although had not rented a DVD for more then a year). DVD....new ones...mostly selling at abt 17/18 & old ones less then 10 make them more appealling. Bluray at 25/30 plus...even the old movies..just is not going to move a lot.

Hopefully the movie studios can bring the price down....if they want better sales.

Does nobody remember how much DVD's cost when they came out? Of course BD is going to be more expensive, it's much newer, thats how things work.

MikeB said:
@ redspear

DirectTV now does 1080P albeit heavily compressed. TBH even fewer people will recognize the diffence between 1080i and 1080P and most HDTVs being sold are still 720P so it is null point anyhow.

1080p downscaled to 768 lines can make a good difference compared to 1080i being upscaled (540 lines per frame).

All those people who shoot documentries with Cannon XH-A1s and other similiar cameras that use HDV tape should really keep that in mind I guess since they only record in 1080i. How can so many people who work wiht this stuff be so wrong.Chances are you ahve seen some of this stuff on HDTV and never even knew(BTW the canon even does a trick with green CCD to achieve 1080i ).

Seriously resolution is the least important of the big factors that matter for image quality while higher resolution is nice and having lossless compression really matters(for video mastering) A lossy codec does not viewing. If you work with codecs at all you would understand that what lossy means is that it is mathematically impossible to recover the original format after compression andas such any attempt to transcode would result in a loss of image. Some lossy codecs look almost as good as the lossless and some lossless codecs look a lot worse. What you are reffering to is that the bit rate is low and hte image suffers from that and I agree.

And most of this is mute anyways as long as people watch video on TVs with filtered light they lose both colorscale and image quality.

RED save us now and release that EPIC 261 MP video sensor for $55K.

BTW it is nice to work in higher rez especially if you are going to stabilize and crop add masks and effects and composite images and then downsize the image.

Stop reading the companies PR books head out and actually work with this stuff once in a while. Learn about HDR and DoF and lighting. Understand what a gamut is and look at a reference monitor(trust me htey look like they are from the 80s but the picture quality beats any HDTV or LCD I have seen today by far.

@ Fumanchu

Is it true that DVD is 720x576 in PAL territories? So if you've only got a 720p HD TV - you're only getting an extra 144p?

I guess yes and no. Yes it should make a difference, but not that much. The difference is 96 i or p lines, or rather 48 more lines per frame being scaled for interlaced.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Feylic said:
rajmarie said:

Does nobody remember how much DVD's cost when they came out? Of course BD is going to be more expensive, it's much newer, thats how things work.

Yes and anyone who bought a DVD took it home popped it in and said WOW. They didn't have to rewind they could selct stuff from the beginning they could pause in a way that actually worked and the image quality was noticeably better in every respect.

Popping in a blu ray the feeling is more OK this looks better. 2 days later they see a friend watching an upscaled DVD and aren't wondering why they have tracking lines.

The difference does not warrant 20 dollars more it doesn't even warrant 10. It is worth about 5 a disc. Once Disks get around 10-15 for most of the smaller films and 20-30 for the big releases and 30-40 for critereons and collector editions we will talk again.

Around the Network
MikeB said:
@ Fumanchu

Is it true that DVD is 720x576 in PAL territories? So if you've only got a 720p HD TV - you're only getting an extra 144p?

I guess yes and no. Yes it should make a difference, but not that much. The difference is 96 interlaced lines, or rather 48 more lines per frame being scaled.

DVDs do not have to be interlaced when you make them. In fact a lot of players do the 3:2 for you.

redspear said:
Feylic said:
rajmarie said:

Yes and anyone who bought a DVD took it home popped it in and said WOW. They didn't have to rewind they could selct stuff from the beginning they could pause in a way that actually worked and the image quality was noticeably better in every respect.

Popping in a blu ray the feeling is more OK this looks better. 2 days later they see a friend watching an upscaled DVD and aren't wondering why they have tracking lines.

The difference does not warrant 20 dollars more it doesn't even warrant 10. It is worth about 5 a disc. Once Disks get around 10-15 for most of the smaller films and 20-30 for the big releases and 30-40 for critereons and collector editions we will talk again.

I said wow when i first saw a blu-ray movie, and it does make a big difference. Upscaling doesn't give you near as good detail.

masterb8tr said:
anyone who thinks download or streaming will be main stream anytime soon, needs to see a shrink.

That is the future as soon as transactions are made completely digital (Which it will be in the future).

markers said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
kanariya said:
BD will replace DVD in a few years jsut like DVD replaced VHS.

It didn't happen over night.

Blu Ray will not replace dvd in a few years. Nearly a decade is more like it.

care to wager a bag of skittles on that?!

Hell yes. :)

Feylic said:
redspear said:

I said wow when i first saw a blu-ray movie, and it does make a big difference. Upscaling doesn't give you near as good detail.

Well than it is a product for you. Most people I run across can't even tell the difference. I have gotten sick of changing the channel to an HD channel at a freinds house because they not only can't tell the resolution is lower or the color gamut is lower but that the image is warped.

There are some steps forward in BR and it is even noticeable in SD slightly better color. The image is clearer in BR but a lot of the earlier ones were crappilly encoded (U-571)and I never really got the WOW factor out of it....might have to be that I go to the theater a lot too.

Speaking of which does anyone remember the really crappier encodes of some early DVDs they actually sucked.