By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii and third part GC controllers

Well I use an Icon Gamecube controller on my Wii and it works just fine. However, when I tried to use another third-party controller before, it didn't read. Although I think that the second controller might have actually been broken, I think if you try out a new or different brand of controller, it should work.

# of games above 75 on Metacritic (including downloadable):

360: 241     DS: 144

PS3: 152     PSP: 126

Wii: 85

Around the Network

All GC controllers should work. However if you need one, you can't beat getting a used 1st party Wavebird at Gamestop (NA) for $17.99. Don't try to buy one off eBay though, they are way pricey that way.

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
radioioRobert said:

All GC controllers should work. However if you need one, you can't beat getting a used 1st party Wavebird at Gamestop (NA) for $17.99. Don't try to buy one off eBay though, they are way pricey that way.

You can find them at Gamestop? Gonna go look over there. I have been looking for a Wavebird for a long time.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

I've got 2 of these controllers, and they seem to work just fine.

Godot said:
radioioRobert said:

You can find them at Gamestop? Gonna go look over there. I have been looking for a Wavebird for a long time.

you need a bit of patience and luck, but over 2 months I purchased 8 of them at different Gamestops, 4 for myself and 4 for a friend. The holidays might be a good time, people trading stuff in for Christmas cash....

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
Around the Network

Not to sound like a jerk but I either just don't believe you or think there's something else to the story you aren't telling or are missing.

I mean really, why would Nintendo suddenly say fuck all those other controllers out there, you're only using ours!

Ok, well, yes that would mean more accessory sales but then that would rank as one of the dumber decisions ever made. I'm sure if this were actually the case we would see more than one random forum post about it.

-edit-

And yeah, the Wavebird is the only Gamecube controller you should have.

-edit #2-

And before you get angry, answer me this:

1. What would this really get Nintendo in the long run if this were the case?  Remember, they're already swimming in money.
  2. If true, why isn't this story on every gaming blog?

twesterm said:

Not to sound like a jerk but I either just don't believe you or think there's something else to the story you aren't telling or are missing.

I mean really, why would Nintendo suddenly say fuck all those other controllers out there, you're only using ours!

Ok, well, yes that would mean more accessory sales but then that would rank as one of the dumber decisions ever made. I'm sure if this were actually the case we would see more than one random forum post about it.

-edit-

-edit #2-

1. What would this really get Nintendo in the long run if this were the case?  Remember, they're already swimming in money.

Well, lets face it twesterm, who here has bothered using their gamecube after getting a Wii? and how many people have enough faith in 3rd party GC controllers to actually question it if they suddenly stopped working?

Heck, I got rid of my Gamecube a long time ago and the 3rd party controls went with it, I never even tried them in the Wii that i can recall.

Plus, there are a bunch of different 3rd party controllers, it's entirely possible that the specific off brand that Kyliedog has simply wasn't properly designed to work on the Wii. most recent controllers probably don't have this issue though.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

What is the "wavebird" controller? I have a Gamecube, but I've never used it before...

MarioKart:

Wii Code:

2278-0348-4368

1697-4391-7093-9431

XBOX LIVE: Comrade Tovya 2
PSN ID:

Comrade_Tovya

Comrade Tovya said:
What is the "wavebird" controller? I have a Gamecube, but I've never used it before...

Wavebird is the Nintendo brand wireless GCN controller.  It doesn't have rumble but that spares the batteries.  I have 4 still but would like 1 or 2 better condition ones myself.

KylieDog said:
twesterm said:

-edit-

-edit #2-

I'm not gonna reply to this all, I'm simply state there is a reason I asked if anyone else has experienced the same thing, because I wonder if it is just my particular brand of 3rd party controller, a few brands, or all.   I know a few types of memory card do not work, as well as quite a few datel products.

Wasn't trying to sound like a jerk there, that's why I made the edit to show my reasoning other than just calling you a liar because that's not what I wanted to do.  :-p

I'm just saying that it doesn't make sense for certain 3rd party controllers to mysteriously stop working on the Wii.  I know had two different third party GC controllers (eventually sold them because I hated them) but they worked fine on my Wii and GC.