By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - RPG Genre Discussion Thread

@lestatdark, u could be right about the ff series. but i think square-enix knows that they must release ff14 this gen or ppl who like the ff series might just move onto something else similar to it, instead of all the waiting for each ff game,specially since ff13 is taking forever to release. thats why i think if "lost odyssey 2" , makes the necessary changes and improvements to the engine,battle system and maybe a few cgi scenes to the already great game, and since its as close as a series is going to get to the ff series, then maybe this series is what could hurt the ff series if they wait till say 2012/2013 to release ff14 or worse hold off on ff14 to the next systems. a big mistake if u ask me.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Around the Network

Personally i think there are already a few series that can really hurt FF status in the JRPG world, Lost Odissey is one of them, this game is utterly awesome, i'm loving every moment of it, but it does need some inovation since it has a few cliches that are common of JRPG's.
But what can really hurt FF is the Persona Series or one that comes from S-E themselves, KH. That series if it continues to grow like KH2 did from KH1 I can see many, many FF followers move to that series (in my personal opinion KH2 was way better than FFXII).

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

@lestatdark, for me final fantasy 12 is the worst game in the series. i have played as of now 4 different tales games, and i love them very much . i could see this series really sell alot if only namco would seriously put some marketing muscle and truly use what ever system they release them on, then maybe this series could truly go toe-to-toe with the ff series.

The Tales series has always been like the underdog of RPG's since the Snes days, it almost seems like namco doesn't want that series to have success, look at what they are doing with Tales of Vesperia and Tales of Symphonia for the wii, it doesn't make any sense.
FFXII was an OK rpg for me, i loved the battle system and the political puppetering of Vayne, but it really lacked in the grand scale of things. Also the optional boss battles and the Hunts were awesome, comparing to the lack of good story battles (I mean, the final boss and all it's forms was a joke, to damn easy, even at level 40)

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

@lestatdark, for me i hated ff12 because all it was , was a ff11 offline game with computer controlled al, instead of actuall ppl. ff11 i loved very much, i think if they would have used either a grandia or star ocean for the battle system and fine tuned the story and worked on the overall ai of the game, things could have made ff12 into something special instead of a joke.

Around the Network

What i really hated in FFXII was the chest system, i mean, trying to gain the item that you need with only 1% chance of it appearing on the chest, and the chest having itself only 10% chance to appear in the area was torture. Also the chain system wasn't that well implemented, because it made for those really rare monsters a long boring procedure.

Current PC Build

do u think the "lord of the rings" mmorpg game will move onto the console side this year, i heard rumors its being worked on. would u buy it if it actually came out on the 360 and ps3? i would at least give it a try.

It's possible that it will move to consoles, since LOTR mmorpg has a huge competition on the PC, and moving to consoles it will be unrivaled. I think i'd give it a try too, even if only for the story

Current PC Build

i just want too play another mmorpg that can rival ff11 on the 360, i have played ff11 for almost 4 yrs now and i want another game to give my time to on the 360.

do u believe "age of conan" will be a success on the 360 ? i think if it comes with maybe some exclusives like extra missions,weapons,gear, then it could. i know u can play "age of conan" offline as well, so ppl who want to get used to the game can play it offline and when their rdy go online to play with others. i think it will do pretty good, i know i am getting a copy.