By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - RPG Genre Discussion Thread

@lestatdark, the tv trailer u can download when u go to the rpg genre section, then pick lost odyssey and enjoy. :) did u know that mass effect has some dlc as well?

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

Around the Network

@ROBOTECHHEAVEN, thanks, i'll download it then ;) Yeah i know, the bring down the sky mission, got to get me that one too xD i've heard it also gives you an achievement right?

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

@lestatdark, welcome . i think it does, they are planning more dlc for mass effect.

@ROBOTECHHEAVEN, hopefully we'll hear about it on GDC or E3 2009. But what i'm really looking forward is to Mass Effect 2, to see how they continue the story of the Reapers, since Sovereign was supposed to be the one left behind to open the Citadel Relay to them. Also i want to see why there were some Reapers in the Prothean beacons who looked like they were organic, since supposedly the Reapers were a synthetic life form like the Geth.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

@lestatdark, mass effect 2 is suppose to be somewhat shown off at cdc in march. and its also suppose to be coming out between september and november this year.

Around the Network

just picked up mass effect,phantasy star universe today for $25 together at circuit city.

which console this gen will have the most rpg's on it, when the next consoles launch? i think it wil be 1. m$ 2. wii 3. ps3

do u think final fantasy 14 will make it out before the new consoles launch? i think final fantasy 14 will come out in fall of 2012, because the white engine that powers ff13 is finished. so the developement of ff14 should be cut down alot and also they will be more comfortable with both the ps3 and 360.

most final fantasy's seem to have a theme take ffx,and then base the story around that ,and while this can work they tend to beat you over the head with it, either through repetition or melodrama,but what they tend to get right is the worlds they create ,a lot of the dialogue since speech was introduced is very stilted and the the way the voice actors pause all the time tend to grate,plus as any good script writer knows you don't have to have your character say a page full of words to convey the scene as you might in a book.and there is a difference in these styles,i also missed the old summons , in fffxii i didn't like the way they where used ,
i liked ffx's approach of being able to get experience for the summons and would like it to be expanded upon . In summing up great worlds that drag you in but get rid of random encounters i always thought they where the problem not the battle system but have enough monsters so i can still level up and get rid of real time combat or at least let me control the group myself and make the strategy as i go along and get some new character designers iam sick of how little the character design as not evolved there are character designs that are like those in the bouncer and other old games still going around.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

It depends on how the shift of JRPG's is going to be for the next few years, since most companies are now pushing JRPG's for the wii in 2009, we may see a sudden surge of RPG's on the wii for the next few years.
Well given the fact that the iterations of FF that come out after the first one is released on each gen, we may see FF14 in 2012/2013, but as Nomura once said, the Fabula Nova Crystalis is supposed to be a decade long (much like the FFVII Compilation) so they may focus on creating more games for it and leaving FF14 for the next gen consoles.

@mjk45, I didn't quite get what you are saying, since mostly you are basing an analysis of the entire FF saga based on one game, FFX. Character development has been an issue in the past few games of FF, but going back to the old days, you've had FF6 and FF5 which were heavily based on the characters development, given that the story revolved around them, so the characters really felt like part of what was happening in the game and not secondary actors or bystanders watching a scene unfold.
About the random encounters, that it's no more an issue since FFXII, they've got rid of them already.
What really stands up in all FF are definetily the summons, but I personally liked the Guardian Force's better than the Aeons.

Current PC Build