By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - RPG Genre Discussion Thread

@ Ssenkah ,yeah at least with relic it should be in good hands, i also remember picking up a PS2 wizardry game if my memory seves me correct thats all it was called ,very basic graphics it looked like  a real old dungeon crawler interspersed with static anime style illustrations

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

@mjk45, how far are u in wkc ?

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

@ssenkahdavic and mjk45, if u guys wana play some wkc together sometime let me know, then we can do some of the games quests.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

@Robo:  I beat the game (around lvl 48).  I would be down to run some groups sometime.

Oh yea, you guys checked this link out yet? Some new RPGs coming to the PSP!  Yes, Xseed, we love you!

@ClassicGamingWizzz

FF13, albeit an average FF game, was a bit lacking, only getting very good in the last stretch of the game (From Chapter 11 and onward). I must admit I loved the history and character development though, amongst the best I've seen this gen.

I don't think they'll come back to the linear FF formula in quite a while, mainly because FF13 was the only truly linear FF released and it was met with mild critical reception in some gaming outlets. 

For PS3 I would recommend you getting Folklore, 3D Dot Game Heroes and Demon's Souls (especially Demon's Souls). Although some would argue that Demon's Souls is not technically a JRPG, I don't really care. It's the best game this gen, hands down, at least to me  

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

helo people , this a thread of rpg´s so i will ask you guys one question. how do you guy´s feel about the last final fantasy games , seriously ?

my favourite game of all time is ff7 , it´s a masterpiece , i play that game after ff10 and i never play a final fantasy again that i realy enjoy , for me ff13 was my biggest disapointment in one game. ff7 is the best game i play but i can´t support ff13  one of the worse games i play, is so boring linear , i think the story is so bad and the combat so lame .

do you guy´s think they will make a game like the final fantasy games old school for the fans ? or they continue making this bad and linear games because i think they are killing the franchise :( that i love.

btw do you guy´s recommend me some good jrpg´s games for ps3 !!!

Ill just do top 5: VI, IX, VII, X, XIII.  I think part of the problem people have with FFXIII is that they did not get what they expected (sort of why people hate on XII so much).  The game was great if taken for EXACTLY what it is.  The game has a great story, good characters (yes even Hope), a good script and a fantastic battlesystem. 

What I do not get is why the term "linear" just agitated people sooo damn much.  In this game more than most others, I understand why they made it linear.  I equate it to a good fantasy novel.  Linear = move the story alone at the pace the creator/writer wants.  If it is to open world, the player/reader has the tendency to get lost/forget exactly what is going on (Dragon Age did this to me, almost completely forgot about the darkspawn before I randomly met some on the road).

Ive said it a million times, but I will say it again.  We need games like this, period.  I want my linear as hell games.  I want my dungeon crawling games.  I want my WRPG, make your own adventure games.  I want my fantasy novel games.  I want my GCI heavy games.  I want my turn-based games. I want my action/tactical/strategy RPG games.  I love RPGs and part of that love is the diversity of them.  The day the genre starts to narrow on one specific subset, is the day variety dies and is one sad day for gamers.  

Preaching over!  Here is my list of JRPGs (or just RPGs in general) on the PS3 that are awesome:

Demon's Souls (my favorite game this gen)

Valkyria Chronicles (one of the best tactical/strategy games I have ever played.  Brilliant)

Folklore (very addictive gameplay, a good deal of variety, repetition)

DragonAge Origins (the first WRPG that I actually enjoyed more on a console than the PC, if applicable)

Eternal Sonata (Love the music and characters.  Fantasy actionesque rpg)

Disgaea 3 (It is Disgaea, nuff said)

White Knight Chronicles (If you do not have it, Id say wait for number 2.  It will supposedly include the first game)

Star Ocean 4: (Fun, good combat, but some really nerdrage moments)

Both Fallout 3 and Oblivion I found far superior on the PC.

FF 13 you have Vanille the ultimate Genki girl full of amphetamine glee ,she gapes and giggles like a caffeinated toddler but she's 19 an idiot child  with the body (and fashion sense) of a lingerie model: an unpleasent reflection of  the sexual insecurity of her target audience? or SE's, god help us if roger ebert gets hold of FF13 well never hear the end of it.

Mr i'm an hero because i say so and i say so heaps, great characters these

@ClassicGamingWizzz. you can't go wrong if you follow the suggestions of Ssenkah and Lestat. as to FF7 It along with FF6 are my favourites but even ithey  are  more linear than most people think. i didn't find FF13's linearity that bad just that they could have disguised it better, but a lot might be down to  the the world of pulse be a place desolate of humans , i also think that a lot of people mistake lack of freedom with lack of variety and to me i would rather have variety than freedom and FF13 lacked variety thats all

@Robo played some WCK not far in just headed off after  the princess after getting the suit

mjk45 said:

FF 13 you have Vanille the ultimate Genki girl full of amphetamine glee ,she gapes and giggles like a caffeinated toddler but she's 19 an idiot child  with the body (and fashion sense) of a lingerie model: an unpleasent reflection of  the sexual insecurity of her target audience? or SE's, god help us if roger ebert gets hold of FF13 well never hear the end of it.

Mr i'm an hero because i say so and i say so heaps, great characters these

To be fair, S-E has always exploited the sexual insecurity of gamers in their RPG's Who can forget the "overcompensated" Tifa or Jessica's "assets" in DQ8? 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"