By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - No plans for PSP successor?

If the boss of SCEE is to be believed, "there are currently no plans for a PSP2... I go to Tokyo quite a lot and no one has referred to it – I think they have their hands full at the moment."

What the hell. I don't have this system yet, but I want it for some of the games. And I know the software support is hurting (more the piracy than games not selling), but this would make it possibly the bestsellig system ever not to have a sequel. That sucks!

I hope Sony doesn't give up on this. They got their foot in the door.

Then again, it could just be Sony waiting and seeing. I hope so.

SCEE boss: PSP 2 not planned, PSP is devs' last pick

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

I'm pretty sure a PSP2 is in the works, there not just sitting there waiting to get crushed by nintendo i'm placing my bet that sony is gonna release the next PSP before nintendo's. there has to be a eye catching PSP or some form of media ,app or game to get ppl attention cuz the DS is just a monster right now

Playing Assassin's Creed and Resident evil 5 <3

I dont want to be fanboy anymore...Why? it takes to much work but i will call on ppl on there B.S!!!:)

I Doubt that, Right now the psp & ps2 are the only things keeping Sony in the gaming division. And if it wasn't for the ps3 they would be making money.

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller

Bullet100000 said:
I Doubt that, Right now the psp & ps2 are the only things keeping Sony in the gaming division. And if it wasn't for the ps3 they would be making money.

This to some "Degree" sad but true. PS2 and PSP are sonys major money makers when it comes to games atm, PS3 isnt there yet lol.

Why do they need a PSP 2? The PSP is selling quite well, all they need is release new bundles/colors regularly to keep the sales up.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Around the Network

The last person you should believe about what a company is doing is the company itself.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

dolemit3 said:
Why do they need a PSP 2? The PSP is selling quite well, all they need is release new bundles/colors regularly to keep the sales up.

Now this i agree with 100%

Don't be silly Sony, just tell us that you don't want to kill the PSP's sales

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

This isn't them denying an announcement. This is someone denying any plans. Nintendo has said they are looking into their next systems, if not rushing anything.

With Sony getting hammered in profits, and the whole company suffering due to the economy, this isn't something to brush off.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

He isn't just saying they don't have plans for a PSP2. He's also slagging on the PSP one. How often does a company like to harp on their own product? He even says PSP game development is the last priority in his own company. That's not the kind of thing you want to tell people.

Anyways, at first I was quite surprised, but when you think about it, it's not that crazy a notion at all.

First off, lets look at the original promise and motivations for the PSP.

After two incredibly successful consoles, why not try your hand at the portable market. Sony must have thought that through a similar strategy, they could have similar success in a market that until now only ever had Nintendo's monopoly. A portable console following the same philosophy as the PS1 and 2 had enormous potential and could possibly even lead to burying Nintendo (remember this was pre-Wii).

But instead the PSP saw respectable but no where near phenomenal sales while the DS is on it's way to becoming the highest selling gaming system ever. If they couldn't do it with their first attempt, it's pretty clear Sony won't be able to replicate the Playstation magic on the handheld scene now that Nintendo is riding higher than ever in the hearts and minds of handheld gamers.

And at the same time, the Iphone (and Ipod touch) is making it's forray in to gaming, with every indicator that the ipod line will increasingly find itself more and more game friendly. That's a whole other competitor that already has huge brand recognition without even being in the videogame market yet. Suddenly the dream that is PS numbers in the handheld format just doesn't seem likely at all.

There's also the matter of UMD's. Sony had the chance to push an entire video format. Having the portable movie system push the portable format push other portable movie systems was potentially a lot of money for Sony. But it didn't take off, and it's highly unlikely that any other portable format Sony tries to push will take off either.

So UMD's failed, the PSP failed to replicate the consoles magic and the field will only get more crowded in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony is more concerned about the storm clouds on the handheld horizon then they are of building off their current successes.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.