By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Gears 2 Multiplayer Patched Again

Gears 2 Multiplayer Patched Again

Epic says a server reconfiguration has eased matchmaking times.

December 11, 2008 - Epic Games has released a second update for Gears of War 2 in an attempt to reduce the long wait times players have been experiencing in online multiplayer matchmaking.

Since the game's launch in November, Gears players have had difficulties getting into multiplayer matches, with multi-minute wait times common for many game types. Epic released a patch over Thanksgiving to address the issue, but many gamers (including the Gears 2 players here at IGN) saw no marked difference.

But this week, Gears 2 senior producer Rod Fergusson posted an update on the official Gears of War 2 message board saying the company had revamped its matchmaking servers for the game to address the ongoing issues.

As of Tuesday of this week (Dec 9th), we successfully completed the reconfiguration of our matchmaking servers allowing us to have more players per server. This optimization allows us to take greater advantage of our Nov 27th title update. Based on what we're seeing so far, matchmaking times have improved significantly. To be realistic though, there will still be times when a particular playlist is low on available players or there isn't a party of the right size to merge with yours but overall, you should get into a match much quicker than before.

Three quarters of the IGN staff is either on vacation, out sick with one or more deadly viruses or still drunk from holiday parties. So we haven't had time to test the latest patch for ourselves to see if it's fixed the problems Epic is referring to. How about you? If you've logged on since the patch went through on Tuesday, have you experienced shorter matchmaking wait times than in previous attempts? Let us know in the comments section below.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/937/937878p1.html

Around the Network

Thank GOD! im gonna try it out 2nite to see if it works

Playing Assassin's Creed and Resident evil 5 <3

I dont want to be fanboy anymore...Why? it takes to much work but i will call on ppl on there B.S!!!:)

Horde >>> Multiplayer. No waiting times either.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

wingman mode has no waiting times either.

I dont want to be fanboy anymore...Why? it takes to much work but i will call on ppl on there B.S!!!:)

Still has other problems that need to be dealt with.
The Smoke is freaking ridiculous a lot of the time. I've literally got sent flying into the air,( no ground contact whatsoever) by that thing.

flames_of - "I think you're confusing Bush with Chuck Norris."

Wii: 80-85 Million end of 2009 (1.1.09)

Around the Network

long is a bit of an understatement. I've waited up to 15 minutes for a game before. I think the fastest its been is about 5 min.

Thats ridiculous when sometimes you get in a Cod4 game in 10 seconds.

hopefully it helps this time because the first update didn't seem to make it any faster.

3DS FC: 4355-9313-6815

now if they can just fix the chainsaw glitching

they should fix that piece of crap shotgun also. but EPIC games are slow as hell responding to there fans, that's why bungie studios is the best and they listen to there fans on there website.

yay!