By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Dark Knight shifts 600,000 on blu-ray

I love how their saying Blu-Ray is dead when Analysts and Consumers both agree that Blu-Ray is worth the money, plus better than DVD Up-Scale.

This shows that it's growing.  As of late, most of the commercials for Disney (and we know Disney is still a HUGE name) I've seen have been "Disney Blu-Ray" not mentioning DvD at all in the entire commercial.

Not only that, but at Wal Mart I've been seeing more and more NEW Releases on Blu-Ray with a matched price with DvD.

• 2010 MUST Haves: WKC, Heavy Rain, GoWIII, Fable III, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders, FFXIII, Alan Wake, No More Heroes 2, Fragile Dreams: FRotM, Trinity: SoZ, BFBC2.
  • Older Need To Buys: Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Deadspace, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2.

There is definitely more to list that I want, but that's my main focus there.

Around the Network

Very impressive sales for a BR but as has already been said the DVD sales will absolutely dwarf the BR numbers.

Does anyone else expect this figure to go down to around 7-8 % LT sales as time goes on. Why?

This will be extremely front loaded on Blu Ray. Everyone who has one would have been waiting for this film. So I expect the DVD sales to majorly outsell it as time goes by. Be interesting to see the percentage in 2 months on this film.

I reckon by end of Feb the percentage will already be as low as 12% for this movie.

HappySqurriel said:
taxman said:
HappySqurriel said:

I still think your getting ahead of yourself ...

The PS3 version of GTA4 is still sold better eventhough the PS3's userbase then was far smaller than Blu-Ray's userbase today. Being that The Dark Knight is (probably) very high on the list of most wanted Blu-Ray movies for the market demographic that has adopted Blu-Ray already, the sales are not that amazing; basically, you would expect a disproportionate number of people to buy The Dark Night on Blu-Ray than most movies because of the demographics.

Big sales in movies like Momma-Mia and High School Musical would be more telling that Blu-Ray was being adopted beyond the crowd of people who were buying a PS3 already.

It's the new movies that will eventually make people consider the format for the older movies as well... However, no one is going to buy mediocre films on BR unless the price is as low as the DVD.

So how did Momma-Mia and Sex in the city do on Blu-Ray? They're two of the biggest movies of the year and represent a demographic that would (probably) not already own a PS3 to play games with ... In other words they are pretty good tests to see if Blu-Ray is reaching out to new demographics.

600,000 is very good sales, but it doesn't show anything except that PS3 owners are willing to buy Blu-Ray movies on occasion.

You need to stop identifying PS3 owners with people watching Blu-Ray.

If I remember correctly 147k stand alone Blu_Ray players were sold on Black Friday alone, so it's time to stop thinking that the only people watching Blu-Ray are those owning PS3...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

selnor said:
Does anyone else expect this figure to go down to around 7-8 % LT sales as time goes on. Why?

This will be extremely front loaded on Blu Ray. Everyone who has one would have been waiting for this film. So I expect the DVD sales to majorly outsell it as time goes by. Be interesting to see the percentage in 2 months on this film.

I reckon by end of Feb the percentage will already be as low as 12% for this movie.

Counter argument would be that this will be the first movie new Blu-Ray players owners will purchase when they get a Blu_Ray player whereas most people that want the DVD already have a player so are likely to actually purchase the DVD in the first week...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network

BR sales won't help the PS3. Sure, people are buying a little more BR now, however, the ps3 isn't the cheapest player anymore.

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

WarmachineX said:
BR sales won't help the PS3. Sure, people are buying a little more BR now, however, the ps3 isn't the cheapest player anymore.

The topic is 'Dark Knight shifts 600,000 on blu-ray'. I fail to see PS3 mentioned...

Well these are pretty nice sales for a unneccesary format, that will never catch on, but will be a niche format for videophiles.

Blu-ray has been doing fine all along. This is not really even news. The mainstream market understands that Blu-ray, and streaming movies are the future. With LG, and Samsung players already supporting both, the future of Blu-ray will not fail. Sony has already started to offer their rental service on PS3, and it will be expanding to players next year. Other manufactures will follow with services of their own or partenerships.

Prices on BR will only go down further next year, and as that happens it will open to even larger markets. Consumers are not complete idiots, and when they see that they get a better quality version of the movie, plus more features, a digital copy, and more for a couple of extra dollars the choice is obvious.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Thats really good.

30% already, this early? looks like blu ray is indeed taking over DVD. soon it wll be 50/50.