By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - David Cage: ICO dev has "a sense of poetry"

PSUNews: "Speaking to Eurogamer, Quantic Dream founder David Cage has heaped praise on Team ICO Director Fumito Ueda. He also had warm words for Media Molecule's critically acclaimed but commercially unloved LittleBigPlanet.

"I really think he has something interesting and something unique," Cage said of Ueda. "He has a real sense of poetry in his games. It's very different from how I see games and what I want to make, but I really love his work." He added that Ueda's reputation-making ICO and Shadow of the Colossus are the only two games in existence with real emotional impact.

"I think the more it goes, the more this industry will need art directors and less producers," Cage observed later. "We'll still need producers, of course, but we need to feel that there are people behind games. I've always loved games that have a soul, where you can feel the people behind them, and it's rare these days."

One such game, he went on, is LittleBigPlanet. "LittleBigPlanet is a game with a soul, and when you play it you love this game, because you play so many games that are just cold fish.

"It can be a beautiful fish! It can smell good, it can taste good. But it's just a dead fish. And here you feel that there are human beings behind it."

There you have it: games are fish.

Quantic Dream's latest project, the mechanically innovative, emotionally fraught Heavy Rain, is due out in the second half of 2009. Recent screenshots suggest it's worth keeping an eye on."

Cool. Looking forward to the PS3 ICO game, even though i'll most likely Never try there original 2.

Around the Network

Ico was one of the best games I've ever played. I don't think any other developer has been able to create a relationship quite like the relationship between Yorda and the player. Keeping her safe was certainly stress-inducing, but it also created many awesome emotions that other games can't.

I also can not wait for Team Ico's next project.

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

Looking forward to the PS3 ICO game, even though i'll most likely Never try there original 2.

Yeah, you're barely a real gamer, much less a "Sony fan", if you don't play these two games. You have acess to them. There's no good excuse not to play them.

That is the direction I'm taking this topic in, because while the article says nice things it also says absolutely nothign new.

Khuutra said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

Looking forward to the PS3 ICO game, even though i'll most likely Never try there original 2.

Yeah, you're barely a real gamer, much less a "Sony fan", if you don't play these two games. You have acess to them. There's no good excuse not to play them.

That is the direction I'm taking this topic in, because while the article says nice things it also says absolutely nothign new.

I don't have access to them :p have tried looking.. they are hard to find around here... even online.

Check out my game about moles ^

Staude that was not directed at you, though if I were you I'd look into it via eBay.

They are the best games on the PS2.

Around the Network

http://video-games.shop.ebay.com/items/Games__ico_W0QQ_catrefZ1QQ_flnZ1QQ_sacatZ139973QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em282?_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

Well that was easy..

Edit: Haha Khuutra. We posted at just about the same time..

Staude said:
Khuutra said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

I don't have access to them :p have tried looking.. they are hard to find around here... even online.

same problem here:(

Which type of games are Ico/SotC? I've not played both yet. Is it really that good? O.o

haxxiy said:

Which type of games are Ico/SotC? I've not played both yet. Is it really that good? O.o

GGHHKK-

...Yes. Yes, it's really that good.

Try to find them, if you can. They are the best games on the PS2.

Action-Adventure/Amazing

In Ico, you have to escape a Witch's castle while protecting and guiding a near-useless Princess that was going to be killed by the Witch herself.

Shadow of the Colossus is pretty much 16 amazing boss battles. The overworld is huge and beautiful (pretty much lifeless, though). The sheer scale and design of the colossi make this game incredible. And your sword is awesome because it creates a beam of light showing you where to go.