By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Time Magazine: there are only 200 k PS3s in US

badgenome said:
jlauro said:
If you read the article, it isn't saying that's how many have PS3s. That's how many can access the "home" beta in the US.

"Starting today, owners of the pricey PlayStation 3 — there are nearly 17 million of them worldwide, a scant 200,000 of whom live in the U.S. — can download the software for free via Sony's PlayStation Network, which connects the game consoles on the Net so users can play each other."

It's pretty clear he's talking about owners of the pricey PlayStation 3.

Especially since the American PS3s are probably not alive (bolded). But the sentence is weird.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
badgenome said:
jlauro said:
If you read the article, it isn't saying that's how many have PS3s. That's how many can access the "home" beta in the US.

"Starting today, owners of the pricey PlayStation 3 — there are nearly 17 million of them worldwide, a scant 200,000 of whom live in the U.S. — can download the software for free via Sony's PlayStation Network, which connects the game consoles on the Net so users can play each other."

Especially since the American PS3s are probably not alive (bolded). But the sentence is weird.

...... that's the word 'live' as in to live somewhere.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
NJ5 said:
badgenome said:
jlauro said:

...*stares blankly*... that's the word 'live' as in to live somewhere.

I'm not a native English speaker, but I thought you don't use "live" for inanimate objects.

NJ5 said:
The Fury said:
NJ5 said:
badgenome said:
jlauro said:

...*stares blankly*... that's the word 'live' as in to live somewhere.

I'm not a native English speaker, but I thought you don't use "live" for inanimate objects.

The article refers to the PS3 owners who are assumed to be living human beings.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

NJ5 said:
badgenome said:
jlauro said:

Maybe a few are, but certainly not 200,000 of them. Mine's definitely not.

Around the Network

@dolemit3: That was my point, although I may have misread the post I was replying to. That sentence is badly written no matter what the meaning is. Oh, whatever, what a mess...

Ok maths time

If the numbers are how many can access home

According to VGChartz, there are 6.84 million PS3's in the Americas
Only 200k of these can acces the beta, then that is 6.64 million who cant.

this is about the number of beta testers for HOME.

yet another completely misleading title.

scottie said:
Ok maths time

If the numbers are how many can access home

According to VGChartz, there are 6.84 million PS3's in the Americas
Only 200k of these can acces the beta, then that is 6.64 million who cant.

The beta is open access to everyone. It looks like the "journalist" grabbed the October NPD numbers and used them as life time sales in the US. This is why he is saying that the 360 and the Wii are twice and four times as popular. The numbers were roughly 200k, 400k, and 800k for the three consoles last month. Still, LOOOOOL.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

NJ5 said:

@dolemit3: That was my point, although I may have misread the post I was replying to. That sentence is badly written no matter what the meaning is. Oh, whatever, what a mess...

:) 'Tis cool, and point well made.

Hmm, pie.