By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Question about Sony and the recession.

the only part about teh rec. that is hurting sony is the perceived value of money

whe you want to get something for entertainment and you have two items setting on the shelf that offer similar value you tend to go with teh more affordable when your in a money saving mind set

that is the only reason it will hurt sony, b/c right now they are not teh money saving option

Around the Network

I am planning on buying some low risk stock (very low cost with possible chance to rebound).

I am not jumping into anything huge, I just want to get my feet wet. Also, how many stocks would one need to make any sort of significant return on their investment?

The one I am looking at right now, I can grab about 2,000 shares or so.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Any of the major online discount brokers should be fine. Ameritrade, E-trade, Scott trade, etc.

FishyJoe said:
Any of the major online discount brokers should be fine. Ameritrade, E-trade, Scott trade, etc.

Let's say I pick up these stocks, would 2,000 shares be enough for me to see a significant return if shares do happen to go up?

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Euphoria14 said:
FishyJoe said:

Let's say I pick up these stocks, would 2,000 shares be enough for me to see a significant return if shares do happen to go up?

2000 shares is a lot unless you are buying penny stocks, which is dangerous. Some people only buy one share of a stock, for example google. You should probably do some research before doing this. A place like fool.com or finance.yahoo.com is a good place to start. Also watch CNBC as well. (I'm not joking about fool.com, it's really an investment site.)

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:
Euphoria14 said:
FishyJoe said:

2000 shares is a lot unless you are buying penny stocks, which is dangerous. Some people only buy one share of a stock, for example google. You should probably do some research before doing this. A place like fool.com or finance.yahoo.com is a good place to start. Also watch CNBC as well. (I'm not joking about fool.com, it's really an investment site.)

I will have to check those sites out then.

They are stocks that cost around $.20-$.25 each, I have wasted money on worse to be honest, plus this company happens to exist in an industry that I feel gives it a pretty decent chance at a rebound. Even with the economic situation.

I look at it this way, buy breakfast for the next 5 days before work (which I really don't need, I can just eat at home) or buy 228 stocks a week. One only brings me a fuller stomach while the other can wind up helping out, even if it doesn't, I still end up where I would have been anyways.

Currently playing:

Euphoria14 said:

They are stocks that cost around $.20-$.25 each, I have wasted money on worse to be honest, plus this company happens to exist in an industry that I feel gives it a pretty decent chance at a rebound. Even with the economic situation.

I look at it this way, buy breakfast for the next 5 days before work (which I really don't need, I can just eat at home) or buy 228 stocks a week. One only brings me a fuller stomach while the other can wind up helping out, even if it doesn't, I still end up where I would have been anyways.

Based on the assumption you will have a job for the next five years to put after the breakfast.

Sorry if that sounded too gloomish, just making sure you examine your assumptions there ;)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
Euphoria14 said:

Based on the assumption you will have a job for the next five years to put after the breakfast.

Sorry if that sounded too gloomish, just making sure you examine your assumptions there ;)

My job gives out financial info every month to let us know how we are doing as a company.

We are heading for a record year in terms of revenue and profit, primarily because we manufacture Aircraft parts, with 75% or more of our sales going to the US Navy, Army, Airforce, etc...

They have already told us all that we are doing extremely well during this crisis and are actually expanding our workforce next year as well as adding new clients.

Currently playing:

Oh, if you're in the defense sector you should be fine. There's rarely a downturn in that as far as I know, and there may be plenty of exciting threats in the next few years.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:

Oh, if you're in the defense sector you should be fine. There's rarely a downturn in that as far as I know, and there may be plenty of exciting threats in the next few years.

Yeah, my job also talked about how history shows that when a Democratic president takes over they tend to cut spending on things like defense and aircraft manufacturing, although they usually only cut the newer, more expensive projects, usually things that will never see the light of day.

We however make tried and true projects like the A-10 Thunderbolt and the T-38 Talon. These projects are usually kept around because they are much cheaper to manufacture and are very good at what they do.

Currently playing: