By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Dark Knight Blu Ray sells 600K first day, breaks sales records.

First Day 'Dark Knight' DVD Sales Break Record: Certain To Smash ALL Records

I just heard that Warner Bros' Batman Blu-ray discs alone sold 600,000 copies on Tuesday, the first day of release. By contrast, Marvel/Paramount's Iron Man sold 250,000 Blu-ray discs when it premiered on September 30th and ended up selling 400,000 Blu-ray units in its first week. But wait til you see what The Dark Knight sold in both formats, standard def and hi-def: 3 million copies bought by customers in the U.S., Canada and the UK on its first day in stores. That's 3x the norm. This isn't a superhero, it's a cash cow! The Dark Knight was not only 2008's best DVD sales day, but is also likely to be 2008's bestseller of the year by next week with a projected number of 7 million units. This is beyond huge! Christopher Nolan's pic is truly the gift that keeps on giving after already making $1 billion at the worldwide box office. Warner Bros should use this phenomenal performance to help push The Dark Knight and everyone associated with it for Oscar nominations as a box office phenomenon and critical darling.  The studio said sales surged at grocery stores, indicating that the format is broadening beyond early adopters to more mainstream buyers, notably women. What makes this all the more remarkable is that I've been told Hollywood's overall DVD sales were 30% down for the month of November. The Industry is admitting they're also off 6% for the year so far and will likely end up 8% to 10% behnd 2007. And Blu-ray has been pretty much written off as a new type of laserdisc just for film aficionados despite the Industry's deep discounting of players and wide inventories of blockbusters.

Sorry if already posted.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

Nice sales.

Wow! I know Titanic still outpaced it at the box office but I wonder if it's beating it for profits now...well there isn't another movie more deserving of the success it's achieved. Give Heath the oscar!!!

Sony should have made a dark knight ps3 bundle....

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

If Dark Knight hits the 7M projected by next week that should bring the BD version up to around 1.4M if it continues the way it is now.

Any other BD release get over 1M yet or is this the first?

@colonelstubbs

I completely agree.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Around the Network

Slowly but surely blu-ray is gaining momentum. It will never rival DVD though, especially when it costs £20 more for one movie. :/

RPG said:
Slowly but surely blu-ray is gaining momentum. It will never rival DVD though, especially when it costs £20 more for one movie. :/

DVD was expensive early in it's life as well. Just like here, sales went up as prices dropped.

DVD wasn't always cheap.

Currently playing:

wow thats amazing! go Blu-ray!

Very true, these things take time but I do now believe that blu-ray is in a very good position. It has established itself and once production costs lower blu-ray will take over dvd. Question now is when that will happen, could take many years or not long at all.

Blu-ray, oh Sony really did think of the future when implementing that cashcow into the PS3. ;)

It seems positive but the last little bit of the article isnt that great for DVD or Blu-Ray...

"What makes this all the more remarkable is that I've been told Hollywood's overall DVD sales were 30% down for the month of November. The Industry is admitting they're also off 6% for the year so far and will likely end up 8% to 10% behnd 2007. And Blu-ray has been pretty much written off as a new type of laserdisc just for film aficionados despite the Industry's deep discounting of players and wide inventories of blockbusters."

Will The Dark Knight alone change what Hollywood thinks of Blu-ray?