By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony price cut news leak hurting PS3 holiday sales

scottie said:
Generally, if a price cut has been confirmed by the company, the week before the price is cut the console sells about half what it otherwise would

4 months out, and Sony went out of their way to deny the rumour (and a rumour with no real basis)

This is not the cause of low PS3 sales

Can you point at an example of sales dropping by even half? I'll give one example of the opposite.

Japanese PS3 price drop announcement. Announced Oct 9 2007 to happen in Oct 17.

Here is the week the announcement was made in:

http://www.vgchartz.com/japweekly.php?date=39369&console=&maker=&disp=Japanese+Name&boxartz=1

The PS3 dropped by 5% only, and this was not a rumor or leak, it was an official announcement.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
badgenome said:

Yeah, I'm certain that an internet rumor outweighs both the shitty global economy and actual price tag of the PS3. In fact, I believe this rumor is the only thing keeping the PS3 from grabbing the mass market from the Wii.

nice

@ NJ5 I wasn't meaning 50% down week over week, I was meaning for example a console might sell

20 20 20 20 (price cut confirmed now) 19 17 16 14 13 12 11 10 90

Whilst the 10 is only slightly down from the 11, the 11 is still lower than the 20 it would have sold otherwise

If that makes any sense

But even then, 50% was just my impression of how things went, if you have the data to prove me wrong, then by all means do so

Come on, the average Joe has no idea of this "rumor". People may be holding off buying a PS3 because its so damnd expensive, but not because they hear of rumors.

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

scottie said:
@ NJ5 I wasn't meaning 50% down week over week, I was meaning for example a console might sell

20 20 20 20 (price cut confirmed now) 19 17 16 14 13 12 11 10 90

Whilst the 10 is only slightly down from the 11, the 11 is still lower than the 20 it would have sold otherwise

If that makes any sense

But even then, 50% was just my impression of how things went, if you have the data to prove me wrong, then by all means do so

You could be right, it's hard to analyze those cases. But usually the price cuts aren't known so much in advance, certainly not officially at least. I just can't remember a single example when there was a big drop in sales due to future price cuts.

Hype in forums rarely translates to the same level in the real world, which also applies to game sales...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

99.9% of the buying population didn't even learn about this leak.

It has not affected sales at all. People will not wait 3 months, and not get a PS3 as a Christmas gift, because of a rumored price cut in the Spring.

Even if people did know about the rumored price cut (which the majority of people never heard about), Christmas is between now and March. Little Billy isn't going to be happy with an IOU for a PS3 which may be redeemable in March.

stop imagining
there is no price cut,sony said that

I don't think a rumored March price cut can hurt December sales of any console a rumored January price cut maybe but March is to far off from December.