By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did the DQX announcement change your Kingdom Hearts 3 Predictions?

LordTheNightKnight said:
Possum5454 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Possum5454 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
windbane said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"Btw, you can retract your "try again" statement any time up there, since the data shows I don't need to."

You liar. It does not.

You're seriously going to argue that the numbers above don't show that the PS2 was in a hugely dominate position? It was way ahead in all regions and selling more every month by 50% to 150% if you combine GC and Xbox. You are really going to argue that the Wii is in the same position? The market shares are completely different and the Wii isn't enjoying the same monthly dominance that the PS2 was then.

The fact that you can't read charts is very disturbing.

That wasn't what I said you were lying about.

Your post here says otherwise.

LordTheNightKnight said:
"That was a different situation because the PS2 had the huge majority of the market share."

The first game came out in 2002, well before it was obvious the PS2 would be the other two combined. Try again.

Mixed that up. Whatever. windbane was still lying, since the data did not support that claim.

Funny thing is, I did too. I originally thought that Windbane was talking about the lack of jrpg's on the wii as (I assume) you were as well.

I was discussing his (or her, haven't confirmed which) claim that the Wii being in the lead now isn't as significant as the PS2's lead when KH1 came out. And he/she still hasn't proven the series is known for graphics, in terms of processing, when all the quotes used refer to the art direction.

My profile says I'm male. Then again, you are calling me a liar so perhaps you don't trust that.

You are clearly quoted as saying I should "try again" in my attempt to show that the PS2 had a far greater market share than the Wii currently has. All that took was 2 charts on this site. The PS2 had a much greater market share and was selling a higher percentage per month over the other 2 consoles than the Wii is right now over the other 2. People on this site like to use the word Nintendomination but it's not near the advantage that PS2 had then, as shown clearly by the charts.

Oh well, I've posted my reasons for what I think above, so base your attacks on that, I guess.

Around the Network

I have always thought that it will be a Wii exclusive.

It will be a loooooooong time before we see this game though. 2010? 2011? I have no idea.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

"1. PS3/360 has more market share than Wii and third party games are selling very well. Btw, you say PS3 above but I'm pretty sure that because of Last Remnant, FF13, etc going to 360 that if KH3 goes HD it wil be multiplatform. This isn't so much an argument for HD, more a counter argument to the fact that it would sell a lot more on the Wii."

Fair enough, although we'd have to see how the situation has changed when the development team gets freed up to make the third game.

"2. Developer of KH1 and KH2 is working on FF:13 Versus. It's the same game type and the team will already have experience on PS3 as well as the tools ready to go. Also, I find it very convienant that there is a DS and PSP version of KH coming out when the KH1/2 team is working on Versus. Biding time."

Wasn't it reported VS was more like a turn based game, not an action RPG? Someone should find a link for that. As for the side games, those are to provide more story, not biding time. They were planned a while ago, not just when it was clear Versus was going to take longer. It was the same with Chain of Memories. The team didn't know KH2 was going to be delayed, so CoM was not biding time either.

"3. It has always made sense to me that DQX would be on Wii and KH would be HD. Some seem to disagree with me about the reason, but to me I just felt like KH relied on graphics a little more than DQ. Cutscenes are a large part of that, and I've said that I don't think KH is as graphical intensive as FF, but I think it factors in. Square also seems willing to spread their franchises around this generation so why not mix it up. Perhaps the difference in production value is just my view of Enix versus Square, since one created DQ and the other created FF (and yes, I realize they merged). KH is based on the FF universe, so it would make sense to pair KH with FF13 more so than DQX. Perhaps one could argue FF:CC or My Life as a King, so maybe that point is moot, but I'd favor the pairing of the main game over spinoffs."

The thing is that the game has a stylized look. FF games went toward a more realistic one since X. Compare KH2 to FFXII. One pushed the system, the other did not. Even assuming the game relies more on graphics than DQ, you forget that DQ IX is on the DS, so KH can still top that by pushing the Wii, while DQ X can get away with using the Swords level of graphics.

"4. Along with the pairing of FF, KH is more of a western style game because of Disney and the action-RPG aspect of it. Western RPGs have been very successful on HD consoles so far. Mass Effect, Fable 2, Fallout 3, and Oblivion are the best examples I can think of. They are all million sellers."

I'll give WRPGs have done well on HD systems, but it's rules and play mechanics that make those games. Disney is a global appeal brand, not a western one.

Now sales greater in US, that would have been an argument, not claiming the game fits in a genre it doesn't. But that's moot because the Wii and its game sell in the US.

"Perhaps a big difference I have with a lot of people here is that I don't think the Wii is going to run away with gaming sales like the PS2 had already done by the time KH1 and KH 2 came out (reason #1)."

That just proves it's not a given the series would go to the Wii, not that it would do better on those. I do agree that multiplatform would be best, but we'd have to see the situation when the game actually is ready for development.

"Third parties are just far too successful on the HD consoles."

That I am calling. Certain game sell better on the HD systems, but in terms of JRPGs (which I note you tried to lie that KH is not) sell about the same on HD systems and the Wii. The top selling JPRGs on HD systems is only a few thousand ahead of the top JPRG on the Wii, and the latter is a side game.

In other words, we don't really know which system will sell KH better, so making a BS claim of "too successful", when lots of developers are struggling, is not only a lie, but a slap in the face to those developers.

The only "too successful" developers are the small ones, who focus on PC development. S-E is not one of those, and supports all systems. So even if that BS line was true, it does not apply to S-E, which has had more success on the non HD systems.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

The point, which you oddly separated from the paragraph, is that I don't think the Wii is going to run away with this generation like the PS2 did last generation because third parties are doing very well on the HD consoles. Why would you separate those quotes as if the third party statement was alone?

#4: the point there was that Kingdom Hearts sells more like a WRPG, and those are doing well on HD consoles. Disney being more of a global sell doesn't hurt the HD chances, but I think Disney is more popular in the US. It was certainly founded in the US. I don't think Mass Effect is just good because of it's rules and system, btw, that game and Fable 2 have good stories.

Anyway, I think most people agree that KH is going to sell no matter what system(s) it's on.

Yeah, i think NOW there is more chance, that the game will be PS360 multiplatform game instead of PS3 exclusive.
Yet, i think FFXIII sales will represent on what platform KH3 will be released by the end of 2010 or even in 2011.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network
windbane said:
The point, which you oddly separated from the paragraph, is that I don't think the Wii is going to run away with this generation like the PS2 did last generation because third parties are doing very well on the HD consoles. Why would you separate those quotes as if the third party statement was alone?

#4: the point there was that Kingdom Hearts sells more like a WRPG, and those are doing well on HD consoles. Disney being more of a global sell doesn't hurt the HD chances, but I think Disney is more popular in the US. It was certainly founded in the US. I don't think Mass Effect is just good because of it's rules and system, btw, that game and Fable 2 have good stories.

Anyway, I think most people agree that KH is going to sell no matter what system(s) it's on.

Third parties are doing well on HD consoles?

Hmm... That flies in the face of nearly all the fiscal reports that have been released over the last few months, which has alot of them losing money. So unless your name in EPIC GAMES (maybe two to three others), if you don't look at all systems as viable systems, you're not doing well.

Honestly, thinking about it just brought another interesting thought to me; Can Kingdom Hearts REALLY go to these consoles? Handheld games are currently largely funding FFXIII/vXIII, imagine if KH goes that route... I dunno. I don't know if the DS has got enough in it to take another 20 remakes/ports.

CrazzyMan said:
Yet, i think FFXIII sales will represent on what platform KH3 will be released by the end of 2010 or even in 2011.

You think S-E are going to decide on which of the three current platforms to put KHIII (if they haven't already decided)... in 2010/11? You crazy, man.

Funny that combined market share the 360/PS3 have over the Wii seems to be fast dissapearing, lol.