By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Obama Calls on Illinois Governor to Resign

Tyrannical said:
akuma587 said:
Tyrannical said:
damkira said:
Good. Obama is above the fray.. he won't be tainted by this.

Yup, Obama the only honest Chicago politician confirmed.

Obama working for him in 2002 and endorsing him in 2006 was just a youthful indiscretion.

Name one great President who had no connections whatsoever to corrupt politicians.

Teddy Roosevelt, greatest president evar.

Lol.

In general, the guilt by association game is a bad one to play.  I mean if that politician himself is actually doing questionable things, then I think speculation about there associations is more reasonable.  But the prosecutor here has made it clear that he isn't charging Obama with anything.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

I'm sure all the conspiracy theorists already have it covered, but "What if Obama was tipped of about the Governor's investigation?"

He must have thought he could have gotten a kick back from Obama because he asked and was pissed when Obama refused. You don't solicit bribes from soneone unless you are pretty sure they will take you up on it.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

So the Illinois Governor wanted to make some extra money during hard economic times. I do not blame him wanting to cash in by selling a lucrative Senate seat. The men in power are mainly from upper class backgrounds.

Tyrannical said:
I'm sure all the conspiracy theorists already have it covered, but "What if Obama was tipped of about the Governor's investigation?"

He must have thought he could have gotten a kick back from Obama because he asked and was pissed when Obama refused. You don't solicit bribes from soneone unless you are pretty sure they will take you up on it.

Besides it's not like that's anything out of the ordinary for a president to do.

I mean, at the end of the day... watch... and a lot of people who helped Obama win the election are going to be sitting in cushy jobs... or their friends will be.

Every President since Andrew Jackson has done it.

It's not too big a leap.

akuma587 said:
Tyrannical said:
damkira said:Good. Obama is above the fray.. he won't be tainted by this.

Yup, Obama the only honest Chicago politician confirmed.Obama working for him in 2002 and endorsing him in 2006 was just a youthful indiscretion.

Name one great President who had no connections whatsoever to corrupt politicians.

Ulysses Grant.

Around the Network
akuma587 said:
Tyrannical said:
akuma587 said:
Tyrannical said:
damkira said:

Obama working for him in 2002 and endorsing him in 2006 was just a youthful indiscretion.

Lol.

In general, the guilt by association game is a bad one to play.  I mean if that politician himself is actually doing questionable things, then I think speculation about there associations is more reasonable.  But the prosecutor here has made it clear that he isn't charging Obama with anything.

Still, one has to admit that the laundry list of sketchy characters around Obama continues to grow. I don't regret supporting him in the last month of the election, but I'm not above calling out things I don't trust about him, either.

He surrounded himself with some pretty lousy people during his relatively short political career. Of course, being from Illinois, it's hard not to, but it's still a sign that people should look past his charm and eloquence and put the man on a short leash.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Luckily Obama is singing a better tune today, which I am happy about.  I imagine he will release some or maybe all of the information he is gathering.  Some will speculate that he is still witholding something if he does release information, which is a perfectly natural response than no politician could avoid.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/11/blagojevich/index.html

Small excerpt:

The Senate position "belongs to the people of Illinois, and they deserve the best possible representation," he said.

Obama said he's asked his staff to gather the facts of any contacts made with the governor's office.

The president-elect added that the public trust has been violated.

"Part of the reason that I got into politics, ran for the state Senate, ran for the United States Senate and ultimately ran for the presidency is because we have to reclaim a tradition of public service that is about people and their lives and their hopes and their dreams. And it isn't about what's in it for me," he said.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:

Rumors are that David Axelrod was in contact with the governor, but once again just because an official was working with the governor doesn't mean the official did anything wrong.  The RNC is calling for Obama to release any communication records.

Kasz216 said:
I find it weird that he had no clue what was going on when the guy is accused with offering Obama the chance to pick his successor for a Job in Obama's government.

So... he was working through an official that never mentioned it to Obama? Which one... why isn't he being fired?

No need, the Feds seem to have Axelrod on tape with the govenor.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

rocketpig said:
akuma587 said:
Tyrannical said:
akuma587 said:
Tyrannical said:
damkira said:

Lol.

Still, one has to admit that the laundry list of sketchy characters around Obama continues to grow. I don't regret supporting him in the last month of the election, but I'm not above calling out things I don't trust about him, either.

He surrounded himself with some pretty lousy people during his relatively short political career. Of course, being from Illinois, it's hard not to, but it's still a sign that people should look past his charm and eloquence and put the man on a short leash.

Apparently, Blagojevich made it pretty clear on the tapes that he was pissed off at Obama and his people.  They refused to "pay-to-play".  They would only give him "graditude", and not kick-backs.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:
rocketpig said:
akuma587 said:
Tyrannical said:
akuma587 said:
Tyrannical said:
damkira said:

Lol.

Apparently, Blagojevich made it pretty clear on the tapes that he was pissed off at Obama and his people.  They refused to "pay-to-play".  They would only give him "graditude", and not kick-backs.

Still.  Why didn't the Obama team report the govoner to the Feds?

Knowing someone is dirty... and beign able to get proof and not turning them in is just as bad as playing ball with them.