By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why are PS3 figures so low this close to Xmas?

Ender said:
~flame said:
dolemit3 said:
~flame said:
the economy is in the crapper.

Not if you work for Nintendo though.

the topic is about the PS3 though...$400 is a hefty price right now for a video gam system.

I think his point is the industry just had a HUGE month and Sony was left behind.  So the economy argument is a little hollow.

If all 3 units were priced identically and the sales still played out like this then yes the economy argument is hollow, but there is a $150 difference in price to the Wii and at least a $100 difference in price to the 360.  With wallets tight in most homes these holidays people will opt for the cheaper consoles and since video games offer more hours of family entertainment than eating out/costly entertainment activities out of the home, it is likely some families will trim budgets to buy a cheap console.  The fact that Wii not only has a cheap console but a huge library of incredibly cheap games makes it a prime candidate for a great holiday season (which has become evident).  A coworker of mine bought a Wii for his family and they are cutting out family movie night due to recent pay cuts in his division directly caused by the economic situation.  I asked why he didnt look into a 360 or ps3 (since he has a year old  52" lcd) and his reason was price and # of 3-4 multiplayer family games.  I understand anecdotal evidence isn't always practical, but i'm sure it is a little more widespread than we would all like to believe.