By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Good News: Microsoft Likely to offer Full Xbox 360 Games as Downloadable

I still wouldnt download $60 games, cause I may want to sell them in the future. Now if the games are $40-$50, I may buy the ones I know I will be keeping forever.

PREDICTIONS:
360 will outsell PS3 YTD for 2008. (CHECK!)
360 will have the best showing at E3 & TGS in 2009
2009 will be another year for the 360 over PS3
End OF 2009 SALES :: 360 - 40M;  PS3 - 30M; Wii - 70M

Around the Network

Steam as mentioned above has already shown the way. If you are expecting huge savings then I think you may be a little disappointed.

One of Steams big advantages is the games can reside in the cloud. Which should mean you simply delete the game and re download at another time. We effectively have this option with demo's although we cannot be sure it will still be around down the line.

Hopefully they will follow the Steam approach which should mean the disc size is less of an issue (still an issue though).

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
Bboid said:
MrBubbles said:
Bboid said:

So frankly I don't understand why both Microsoft and Sony don't already offer this to begin with.  Sony does have some games available for download, but not many.  They are the same price as in the store but it is convenient for some people to download at home.  This isn't a "breaking" and "important" announcement for anyone.  Fact is they both have stable networks and they both should have been offering a multitude of games for full download much earlier.  Yes Sony was first to it but it lacks variety and lacks "blockbuster" games.

Maybe im being overly cynical but this is one area where the big 3 of gaming have been dragging their feet.

downloads annoy retailers.  annoyed retailers mean your stuff gets hidden at the back of the store.

downloads only annoy retailers when it is cheaper than store list price.  Theres no reason not to offer it in both hard copy and digital distribution and have it priced the same.  I can understand a failure for 3rd party games not to adopt as readily, but first party should be there.

its takes sales away from them either way...so im not sure how you could try to argue that.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

If PSN is anything to follow, it will still be full priced.

Retail will black-list MS if you can buy a new DD game for 49 and at the store for 60. They'd probably mark all store games up or something in retaliation. They will be the same price, just convenient for people who would rather download.

MrBubbles said:
Bboid said:
MrBubbles said:
Bboid said:

So frankly I don't understand why both Microsoft and Sony don't already offer this to begin with.  Sony does have some games available for download, but not many.  They are the same price as in the store but it is convenient for some people to download at home.  This isn't a "breaking" and "important" announcement for anyone.  Fact is they both have stable networks and they both should have been offering a multitude of games for full download much earlier.  Yes Sony was first to it but it lacks variety and lacks "blockbuster" games.

Maybe im being overly cynical but this is one area where the big 3 of gaming have been dragging their feet.

downloads annoy retailers.  annoyed retailers mean your stuff gets hidden at the back of the store.

downloads only annoy retailers when it is cheaper than store list price.  Theres no reason not to offer it in both hard copy and digital distribution and have it priced the same.  I can understand a failure for 3rd party games not to adopt as readily, but first party should be there.

its takes sales away from them either way...so im not sure how you could try to argue that.

Yes it will hurt retail sales but not to the extent that DD of movies and music does.  Look at movies and music, retailers grumble but they still carry the product right, and the effects are far greater than console game DD would ever be since size is a constraint looking at download speeds and storage.  Every PSN fully downloadable title is available at retail still despite the impact it could have had on retail sales.

Around the Network
Kyros said:
Baah I love small cheap downloadable games but full games as downloads are bullshit on the PS3 that always has a hard-disc which can be replaced with any Notebook HD.

On the 360 it is borderline idiotic:

You have to download 4-9Gb
You cannot resell it
Perhaps this is a viable approach in 2-3 years but now ...

I have to say this sounds excellent to me as the resale value of secondhand games is a rip off.

I stopped trading in my games to shops.

I mean they offer you like 25 Euro on a 5 week old game and then sell it for double that price.

If this happens it will mean the shops will have real competition.

as for memory space surely a memory stick could be used to store your games.

I hope both Sony and MS go down this route.

its ok news, but i always will prefer my games with boxes.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

mrstickball said:
Kyros -

What's wrong with 4-9GB downloads? I mean, Microsoft already lets you download 99.5% of titles to your HDD already...Why not offer them to owners that don't have the games>

You can't resell.....Yet. There are programs out there that are working on integrating sellable DRM for users. It's coming, and can be integrated with XBL if they wanted it.

It's a viable option now. The problem is, the PS3 owners have always lauded the fact they got full game downloads to argue that PSN games were better. If Microsoft does it, then PSN game fans will have nothing to argue about their system being better, since XBL will have virtually every facet of XBL superiority down.

Actually most PS3 fans say PSN = XBL 

but when you factor in the cost     

then

PSN < XBL

@ Stickball

Actually, most people say PSN is better than XBL cause it's free, and while being lower quaility, offers most features that XBL does save for a few.

darthdevidem01 said:
@zucas

I agree....especially cus I like to show off my box art collection!

Yep.  But we'll always have retail versions unless the digital downloads had the retailers involved in some way.  If a console ever came out which switched completely to digital downloads then you can bet your ass the retailers would refuse to carry the console haha.  So that won't happen which is good because I want my box arts too.