By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Good News: Microsoft Likely to offer Full Xbox 360 Games as Downloadable

Sooooo MS aiming at a further digital distribution content ?

Niiiice !! XBLIVE rules.

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Around the Network

Baah I love small cheap downloadable games but full games as downloads are bullshit on the PS3 that always has a hard-disc which can be replaced with any Notebook HD.

On the 360 it is borderline idiotic:

You have to download 4-9Gb
You cannot resell it
Perhaps this is a viable approach in 2-3 years but now ...

Kyros -

What's wrong with 4-9GB downloads? I mean, Microsoft already lets you download 99.5% of titles to your HDD already...Why not offer them to owners that don't have the games>

You can't resell.....Yet. There are programs out there that are working on integrating sellable DRM for users. It's coming, and can be integrated with XBL if they wanted it.

It's a viable option now. The problem is, the PS3 owners have always lauded the fact they got full game downloads to argue that PSN games were better. If Microsoft does it, then PSN game fans will have nothing to argue about their system being better, since XBL will have virtually every facet of XBL superiority down.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

So frankly I don't understand why both Microsoft and Sony don't already offer this to begin with.  Sony does have some games available for download, but not many.  They are the same price as in the store but it is convenient for some people to download at home.  This isn't a "breaking" and "important" announcement for anyone.  Fact is they both have stable networks and they both should have been offering a multitude of games for full download much earlier.  Yes Sony was first to it but it lacks variety and lacks "blockbuster" games.

Maybe im being overly cynical but this is one area where the big 3 of gaming have been dragging their feet.

mrstickball said:
One would assume there'd be huge cost savings...

it certainly would be cheaper, id say about £24.99 - £29.99 if its new.

personally this is something i will never use, i cant see the point, its much better having a hard copy of a retail game than download unless its something like socom or warhawk.

i got my fable 2 for £19.99 new theres no way i would swap it for a digital version no way.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network

.Why not offer them to owners that don't have the games

I don't say that its in any way bad. Its simply something that doesn't make much sense (currently). If 95% of sold consoles have at most 60Gb HD capacity I don't know how many will buy 4-9Gb games, wait up to a couple hours until they are downloaded instead of going to a store and buy it. With unlimited resell and reinstall value. I don't believe for a second that they will allow you to sell them since they are fighting used games on every front. Can you at least redownload them? If not or only limited then the bought disc is a bought backup as well.

Bboid said:

So frankly I don't understand why both Microsoft and Sony don't already offer this to begin with.  Sony does have some games available for download, but not many.  They are the same price as in the store but it is convenient for some people to download at home.  This isn't a "breaking" and "important" announcement for anyone.  Fact is they both have stable networks and they both should have been offering a multitude of games for full download much earlier.  Yes Sony was first to it but it lacks variety and lacks "blockbuster" games.

Maybe im being overly cynical but this is one area where the big 3 of gaming have been dragging their feet.

downloads annoy retailers.  annoyed retailers mean your stuff gets hidden at the back of the store.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Poor Core owners are getting left behind.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Steam is arguably the most successful digital download service in gaming.  All their new releases are the same price as the retail boxed version.  People just like the convenience of not having to search for discs and not having to get up off their butts to buy stuff.  Personally I still like having a physical copy.

MrBubbles said:
Bboid said:

downloads annoy retailers.  annoyed retailers mean your stuff gets hidden at the back of the store.

downloads only annoy retailers when it is cheaper than store list price.  Theres no reason not to offer it in both hard copy and digital distribution and have it priced the same.  I can understand a failure for 3rd party games not to adopt as readily, but first party should be there.