By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dragon Quest X MEGATON... overrated?

BTW, DQVIII was slow also because of load times. PS2 game, after all.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

I have never played a Dragon Quest before, but I have considered giving VIII a try...

Thechalkblock said:
I have never played a Dragon Quest before, but I have considered giving VIII a try...

Ironically I hear VIII isn't the one to try

Go figure

It's the most easily available one at the moment.

It's not like mainline Dragon Quest games have wildly varying gameplay.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Dragon Quest IV should be easy to pick up, I figure

Around the Network

VIII isn't that bad if you don't mind the pace, or the old school play. And the story is actually one of the best, and lest apologetic, RPG stories I've ever played.

It doesn't try to pretend it's the best RPG ever, or that it's somehow transcended anything. It just is.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Dragon Quest VIII is cheaper, though. And I'm a cheap bastard so I'd recommend that.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Thechalkblock said:

I'd advise strongly against it. Except maybe if you go into it expecting absolutely nothing, unlike me who was expecting THE RPG. Maybe if you go not wanting a good story, a diverse gameplay and interesting characters, you may find that it's worth it. But if you expecting that, you won't find it in VIII

This is a huge annuoncement.

While it seems that Dragon Quest has its detractors here -- I am NOT one of them, other than the fact I can't find two hours to finish the game -- it is the biggest RPQ series in Japan.

It is also a series that went from Nintendo to Sony. Now it is going back to Nintendo. That is a huge win.

It is even a bigger loss for Sony as it marks losing the other SE franchise after losing exclusivity on the western-favored Final Fantasy in the American and PAL markets.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

mike_intellivision said:
This is a huge annuoncement.

While it seems that Dragon Quest has its detractors here -- I am NOT one of them, other than the fact I can't find two hours to finish the game -- it is the biggest RPQ series in Japan.

It is also a series that went from Nintendo to Sony. Now it is going back to Nintendo. That is a huge win.

It is even a bigger loss for Sony as it marks losing the other SE franchise after losing exclusivity on the western-favored Final Fantasy in the American and PAL markets.

Mike from Morgantown

I honestly don't get the people who dismiss how big a deal this is. No matter what, both Dragon Quest IX and Dragon Quest X will rocket sales of their respective consoles. Not that the Wii and DS really need a ton of help, but these games are at least a sign that 3rd party companies are starting to take the systems much more seriously. I can barely believe that the DS has smashed through 90 million already. The DS and Dragon Quest IX will probably pull a Halo 3 in Japan when DQIX launches--a title selling so well that it actually cannibalizes sales from countless other games and systems.