By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you own a HDTV without an HD console?

This idea for this thread is inspired the thread at http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=52305 for the other way around...

Sort of a which comes first more often...   the HD TV, or the HD console...

(Me, I own neither...  and will likely get a HD TV first, unless I feel impulsive sometime and spot a really good deal on ebay...  have bid on a few 360 and PS3, but they would of been really good deals if I did get them...)

Around the Network

I own and HDTV and use my computer to play DVDs on it. I do not own an HD console, but I do play games on my PC on an LCD monitor, so that is HD gaming.

why is that?

I have owned a HD Projector for about 3 years now. However, I only just got a 360 within the last month or so. So for the last three years (1 year of Gamecube and 2 years of Wii) I had been gaming using a HD display but with no HD console. If not that there was basically nothing out on Wii since Brawl came out several months ago I probably won't have bothered with a HD console this gen.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

I don't see the point in owning a HDTV without some kind of HD source to play on it. Cos normal TV looks much worse on an HD TV than it does on a SD TV, so you're just paying a load of money for a worse picture.

My nan keeps going on about wanting one of these fancy thin TVs because everyone else has got one and I have to keep telling her it's a waste of time. Although she probably wouldn't notice through her cataracts.

Around the Network

Me, i got my first HDTV over 5 years ago and still no HD console, will probably get one eventually though.

Yes. I bought the HDTV about 2 years ago since our SDTV was acting up. It is hooked up to a DVD player, a HD digital box, a PS2 and a Wii which I just bought a few months ago.

drpunk said:
I don't see the point in owning a HDTV without some kind of HD source to play on it. Cos normal TV looks much worse on an HD TV than it does on a SD TV, so you're just paying a load of money for a worse picture.

My nan keeps going on about wanting one of these fancy thin TVs because everyone else has got one and I have to keep telling her it's a waste of time. Although she probably wouldn't notice through her cataracts.

+1

I have to keep telling my dad not to buy one unless he is willing to pay for the content.  He has a 32" Sony Wega which looks great.  Why pay for a TV that is only going to make the content he watches look worse?

drpunk said:

It is because of the small footprint. You can get a larger TV, that fits in more spaces, and it looks nicer (as in the tv, not the picture) They also use less engergy , so they slowly pay themselves off (so long as you are replacing the with the same size tv)

For example, my parents mostly watch SD content, and used to have a 54" rear projection TV. the thing stuck 3 feet into the room and forced us to re-organize the room, along with re-running all the wires for the surround sound and video sources. Had they gotten a 54" flat panel TV, they COULD have kept the room in the same configuration (not that they should have, but they could have)

Anyways, I had an HD tv for 3 years, and the only thing I had that had an HD signal was my atenna, and for the first year of owning it, the only HD shows were sports. All the news and TV shows were still being broadcasted in SD (for the most part anyways). I finally picked up a PS3 a few weeks ago.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

I have owned a Wii for about a year, I have never owned a HD console and I have owned a HD TV for 2 months now.