By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - no plans for netflix on PS3

I saw Jericho season 1 and 2, that's 29 episodes, in one week.

need to play games now.

Around the Network

MS dont need to pay Netflix to stay exclusive on 360, Sony wouldnt want it on PS3 anyway, cuz It would contradict their Bluray strategy and will adversely affect it as the viable movie format.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

@Damned, it's a little prong that goes on the back of your video card (or if you already have it), that lets you run an HDMI out of your PC :P We just push that into our receiver and away we go. Yes it is another cord sticking out, I'll give you that :P But it's one cord, and it lets me play PC games on our 40" TV ^^ Which is just awesome :P Plus we get use of our Home surround system when we do it that way :3 You can pick up the stuff to do it for under $50 I'm sure ^^

See, I get what your saying, but ultimately, I'm hoping Sony will realize that they need to offer something MORE than netflix, I get it that you already have a Netflix account, which is good for you ^^ But if Sony can offer something of equal value, I'd prefer that because I don't have to pay an additional cost :P It's principles! And because they have a playstation store for the PC , I wouldn't be surprised if they just let them play on PC as well.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

freedquaker said:
MS dont need to pay Netflix to stay exclusive on 360, Sony wouldnt want it on PS3 anyway, cuz It would contradict their Bluray strategy and will adversely affect it as the viable movie format.

How exactly would it contradict blu-ray exactly?  Netflix for the most part isn't geared toward High Def.....  It does have a few HD movies / TV series but for the moment that is a very minor part.

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

Most people dont care about Hi-def and its more important for them to have acceptable (dvd kind of quality) at home comfort (without even need to go out for shopping) at a very low cost.

Besides Hi-Def movies are not common in Netflix now, but neither are bluray movies among all those dvds. The hi-def library will grow as users have greater bandwidth and demand increases.

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

Around the Network

Netflix streaming on the PS3 would not be a bad idea and it wouldn't hurt BD sales/rentals.

Yesterday the biggest BD title to date hit the shelves and the only way anyone was able to watch it was to dowload it in SD on the PSN, or Rent/Buy the BD/DVD.

At the end of the day Netflix doesn't provide new "blockbuster" releases thru their watch instantly application.

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Stephen Henry Roberts

sega4life said:

Why would a company trying to push Blu-Ray, offer easy to stream movies..

I know you get get movies through PS3 now, but you have to pay for each one, with Netflix it's only $8.95 a month for unlimited streaming.

Since many stand alone Blu-ray players include the Netflix Watch now functionality, I don't think Blu-ray is concerned with this service.  Sony doesn't want to allow streaming of Netflix because it would compete with their own video online store.  There is no evidence that MS paid Netflix any money for this service, nor is their any evidence that it is exclusive the 360.  If Sony wanted this service, they would work with Netflix to implement it.

All of these streaming services have an extremely limited library.  I am a Netflix customer and I have yet to watch one of these movies via streaming.  If it makes you happy, I am glad the 360 offers this.  I guess it is better than their video store. 

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

So Microsoft offers more diverse downloadable movies over PS3, and offers Netflix which PS3 will never have....

PREDICTIONS:
360 will outsell PS3 YTD for 2008. (CHECK!)
360 will have the best showing at E3 & TGS in 2009
2009 will be another year for the 360 over PS3
End OF 2009 SALES :: 360 - 40M;  PS3 - 30M; Wii - 70M

This just in: Cap'n Obvious is obvious.

markers said:
wouldnt be suprised if sony offers streaming abilities of its own in an update in the not to distant future....maybe even its own subscription service

This wouldn't surprise me either.  Microsoft would have likely done the same thing however they found it more beneficial to piggyback on the existing name/service of Netflix, which is obviously the smarter move.

Personally I don't see the big deal with Netflix.  I cancelled my subscription once more retailers around me got Redbox units in.  Since im in a grocery store every day almost I can get almost any new release (which is the only thing i rent) and return it the next morning when I buy my coffee and donut in the morning.  99 cents 4-5x a month for movies I want towatch is still cheaper than 8.95 for unlimited movies I don't want to watch.  I just dont personally have the time/need for netflix to be beneficial for me.