By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EA cutting more jobs, issues warnings of lower sales and profit

Khuutra said:
Groucho said:
I wonder if EA, and other 3rd party publishers, could "force" HD console owners into purchasing Wiis and Wii titles, by simply not producing HD titles any longer. Would they benefit from lighter development costs, even though their demographics would initially be not-so-easily targetted?

Would enough of the existing gaming populace be willing to ditch their HD consoles, for a future of Wii-grade developments, due to declining profit margins and rising development costs?

If the developers all jumped ship, the consumer would have to follow or they wouldn't have any games to play.

Yeah... I mean they'd... just have to.

They won't though. Reason being... companies are inherently greedy and rarely conservative even in hard times.

Many would much rather swing for a giant blockbuster a 5 times and risk failing then make 10-20 good games with postivie margins.

The best method would seem to be to cut the HD Consoles games to only your "BIG" franchise blockbusters while putting out a lot more mid level stuff out on the Wii to fund the big franchise games and cushion yourself if they fail.

Around the Network
Groucho said:
Khuutra said:
Groucho said:
I wonder if EA, and other 3rd party publishers, could "force" HD console owners into purchasing Wiis and Wii titles, by simply not producing HD titles any longer. Would they benefit from lighter development costs, even though their demographics would initially be not-so-easily targetted?

Would enough of the existing gaming populace be willing to ditch their HD consoles, for a future of Wii-grade developments, due to declining profit margins and rising development costs?

If the developers all jumped ship, the consumer would have to follow or they wouldn't have any games to play.

That's the question though.  Would that fly, as a development strategy?  Same old, same old?  I realize that the Wii opens up some new horizons with its controller, but on the whole, its not really that big of a revolution at all.

Would the PS2, or some sorta new PS2.5, make a comeback?  Would console gaming die out, if they got... I hate to say it this way but... stagnant, in those terms?

What would happen to the console games industry, if console generations really only happened every 15 years, instead of every 7?

I have faith that core gamers care about more than advancing technology.

No, really, I do.

Groucho said:

if anything they should "force" people into the ps3.  the wii is pretty easy to pirate for which won't help their bottom line.

I just found this article:

http://www.gamecyte.com/eas-fiscal-2009-update-sales-down-cuts-imminent

Apparently, the Wii is part of the problem because 2/3 of the sales on the Wii are first-party, something that hasn't happened since pre-PS1 days. Nintendo has Wii software sales on a stranglehold. Their own.

DMeisterJ said:

Apparently, the Wii is part of the problem because 2/3 of the sales on the Wii are first-party, something that hasn't happened since pre-PS1 days. Nintendo has Wii software sales on a stranglehold. Their own.

Frankly I'm not ready to blame Nintendo for making games that sell better than any other games in the industry

The userbase is there, developers just have to learn how to harness it. Some have!

Around the Network

They should have done whatever it took to get RB2 Wii released earlier. I really don't understand why they were unable to. Whatever your feelings are about the Wii, it's hard to deny that RB2 Wii would have sold well during the holiday period.

DMeisterJ said:

Very astute.  People being good at their job make things harder for people who aren't as good at their job.

FishyJoe said:
They should have done whatever it took to get RB2 Wii released earlier. I really don't understand why they were unable to. Whatever your feelings are about the Wii, it's hard to deny that RB2 Wii would have sold well during the holiday period.

Yeah, RB1 is selling like gangbusters.

DMeisterJ said:
FishyJoe said:

Yeah, RB1 is selling like gangbusters.

It is... when you consider the 360/PS3 versions were released right before X-mas... and the Wii version was released in June... and much later.  (Weren't you one of the people argueing that the reason timed exclusives sell worse on the PS3 was the timed part?)

http://www.vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=America&game1=Rock+Band+-+PS3&reg2=America&game2=Rock+Band+-+X360&reg3=America&game3=Rock+Band+-+Wii&weeks=100

Note the huge X-mas boost the Wii version is getting despite it being 5 months old.

Now lets compare a similar game when released at the same time...

http://www.vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=Guitar+Hero%3A+World+Tour+-+X360&reg2=All&game2=Guitar+Hero%3A+World+Tour+-+PS3&reg3=All&game3=Guitar+Hero%3A+World+Tour+-+Wii&weeks=100

DMeisterJ said:

I'm not sure I trust EA on that number.  According to VGC data on the Worldwide Chart for the Week Ending 28th November 2008 (most recent week we have data), Nintendo published Wii games sold approx 3.77 million units.  Total Wii software was 8.37 million units.  That's 45 percent.  Still very high, but not 2/3.

Does anyone know a way to total all Nintendo published Wii games?  I had to add it myself for the week, and I don't want to go back and do that for all weeks.  If we had that number, we could get the percentage for the life of the Wii.  We already have total software for the Wii at 203 million units.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)