By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I've played my entire back library - now what?

Battallion Wars Wii was pretty good, actually. Also, limiting ourselves to Nintendo games, you're missing F-Zero GX (if you can find it), the best racing game ever made. If you can rent it, get Wario Land: Shake It!

Punch-Out!, Donkey Kong Country 2, Super Mario RPG, and Starfox 64 are all cheap, great, and available for download.

If you like Metroid, try the Castlevania games on the GBA and DS. My favorites: Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, Circle of the Moon. Haven't tried the latest one yet, but I hear it's the best.

Let me know if you need more suggestions.

Around the Network

You've inspired me. I have a ton of games I never finished. I'm gonna go back and finish them. Most of them are pretty awesome, I just never took the time to finish them.

Senlis said:

It's list time.  Lets see how long I can make my recommendation.

Strategy:
Advance Wars:  Days of Ruin (DS) - as Advance Wars games go, this is a significant improvement in the series.  I'm not sure about the storyline, but the graphics and gameplay have been significantly improved (sadly, I do not have a DS anymore to play this)

Got it. Wasn't as good as the original DS one, unfortunately - graphics may have got more "real" but the quality was down (battle backgrounds look like they were badly scaled up). Storyline tried to be both deep and AW-like and failed at both. Gameplay was pretty similar, except for the CO powers which were certainly more realistic although I don't know if they were better. The game was harder though, which was good.

Fire Emblem (GC and Wii) -  Fire Emblem is based on the grid system of Advance Wars, but is a completely different type of gameplay.  Instead of buying troops, you have a set party you go into battle with, and if one dies he/she is gone forever.  Also, there is more variety in attacks.  You have ranged units that can move and attack at the same time (and some archers with ridiculous defense.  I never figured that out).  The only thing to watch out for is that the supposedly high defense low speed characters are the most likely to die.  This is because 1) They get targeted by AI a lot 2) They do not dodge attacks well and they usually get hit twice per round (speed).  The Wii FE is a sequal to the GC FE.  The Wii version is much harder but is basically a GC game as it does not use any of the Wii's motion sensing.  It does look better IMO.

I'll look at it. Certainly AW is a great game, and FE is made by the same team, so...

Nintendo games only severely limits my list.....

As pikmin goes, you don't really need motion controls, and it really isn't an RTS, but more of an adventure game.  You don't really control the pikmin, but you kinda throw them like weapons.  The analog stick does well enough to point your character in the right direction to start throwing pikmin.

Oh. It looked like an RTS to me. I'll wait for the Wii version anyway, unless it's going to cost twice as much or something.

You don't like Zelda games in general?  I have some issues with the series too and I would like to know what you opinion is on it.

I think it gets a little repetitive and doesn't give enough incentive to continue. I can't handle the sheer amount of items it gives you either. The puzzle solving is good, but since there are very few hints as to where items are, I can never find them (unlike Metroid). Also, the medieval setting means there is little variety in scenery and locations, whereas Metroid's sci-fi setting means anything goes. I liked Lttp because it was the most Metroid-like.

Regardless, if you are going to get a Zelda game, I would get the Twighlight Princess

At various times, I have bought Ocarina, TP and WW. WW was the best, but they were all basically the same game and I gave up halfway through even WW because I just wasn't enjoying it (though I appreciate how well designed it is).

first as it is the result of several generation of Zelda making skill put into one game.  If you like challenge, however, you should go with Ocarina of Time, as I remember it as being the hardest.  Wind Waker is a good game also.  Many people got turned off by the whole ocean thing, but I enjoyed the exploration.  You never know what you will find by just sailing around.

The sailing took too long to go places, so I never wanted to spend 5 minutes sailing to remote islands that might contain nothing at all.

Batalion Wars 1 & 2: I beat Batalion Wars 1.  It is a fun game if you like shooting things with a rock-paper-scissors type of strategy directing units.  It is very comparible to Advance Wars, and many people refer to it as the console version of Advance Wars, just without the grid based strategy.  It was fun taking control of a tank and wiping out a bunch of infantry.  However, the controls can be a bit annoying at times, as it is hard to keep your bombers from going to far into enemy lines and getting hit by anti-air rockets.  I have never played Batalion Wars 2, but I heard it was basically BW1 with more units and less challenge.

I think RTSs are hard enough without mouse/pointer controls, so if I get anything I'll get BWii. But I will take a look at it now, thanks.

Tales of Symphonia:  It is a good RPG.  Solid in most of it's aspects, but doesn't really excel at anything.  The combat is action based if you like that kind of thing.  I own a copy of TOS, but never got around to getting more than 15% way thru.

I'll try BK first since you seem to favour it.

Baten Kaitos 1 & 2: These games come highly reccommended on my list as it is a refreshing deviation from turn based and action based RPG styles.  Other card based RPGs have tainted many people's opinion of the genre, but I assure you that BK did it right.  I would recommend getting BK2 (called Baten Kaitos Origins) before playing BK1 as it has better combat, better storyline, better sidequests, better characters than the original.  Besides the point it is a sequal to BK1.

Thanks. Is it easy to get into for people who haven't played any serious RPGs? Paper Mario and Pokemon are my only experience.

I deviated form Nintendo games a little.  If I had a better idea of what genre you like, I could recommend more games.

Any platformer/adventure game that in any way approaches Mario would be wonderful. I loved Banjo-Kazooie, but I no longer own it and it won't come to VC due to MS. I will take a look at any well-designed game with a certoon like style* but not for 'kids'. I don't like realistic games (I want escapism), and I don't enjoy violence (but I'm not anti-violence; if it enhances the gameplay like Metroid then I will tolerate it. I just don't like games based around it.)

*Metroid counts. It's not trying to be realistic.

Okami: It's like Zelda, but more originality and less challenge.  Still, I enjoyed the artwork and setting.

Trying unpopular "cult classics" has let me down before. I bought Zack and Wiki and it was... bad. I can't see why anyone would like it.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted:  I am not a big racing player, but NFSMW is a gem in unrealistic street racing, mainly with the police chases.  Need for Speed: Carbon is good too: It incorperates differences between tuners, muscles (my fav) and exotics.  However, the police chases are not nearly as fun.  For simulation racing, I would recommend Forza Motorsport, but you would have to get a XBOX to play that.

I'm not into realistic racing. Mario Kart is fun, but that's it.

Madden '08 (Wii): I am not a big sports player either, but Madden impressed me with some of the best use of motion controls I've seen.  They feel natural, and reduce the complexity of the buttons you have to press.  To Juke, you just twitch the nunchuck where you want to go.  Same thing with the stiff arm, but you use the Wiimote.  Passing is made easier too.

I don't do sport in general, but American football is completely alien to me as I am British (though I did live in America). Sports games just aren't my thing.

Super Mario Galaxy: Like Legend Of Zelda TP, this game is the result of Nintendo's experience with thier other 3D Mario games and the surpass all of them with this game.  It takes a lot for me to say that, because I have a very high opinion of Mario 64.

I did put that on my first list. I too think it is one of the best ever, behind SM64 (can't beat the originality though I agree SMG came close) and Metroid Prime (best game ever).

I have many more recommendations, but I should probably get to work.  Take a look at my game list.  It's too bad you did not finish Metroid Prive 3, the last boss was fun.

It seemed like MP3 tried too much to be a generic FPS. I loved MP because it was Super Metroid, not because it was Halo.

"Also for the DS you can find Yoshi's Island 2."

Yes; I have it but it wasn't as good as YI and all of the best ideas were taken from the original.

"1. You've missed a lot of games."

Well, I haven't listed my entire collection. Not even my profile has everything - I only list the games I enjoyed enough to get most of the way through.

"2. Girl friends help with time consumption.
3. Jobs are time sink holes - get one if you think you have too much time."

I'm still at school? I don't think girlfriends are really a good thing at this stage. As for jobs - I have no use for money. I don't buy clothes; I don't buy music; there are no games out...

"4. In my opinion; Castlevania Judgement, Tales of Symphonia and FFCC:MlaaK"

What's Castlevania like? I've heard it compared to Metroid; is that true?

"You really won't play games if they're violent?

Some of us just aren't into violent games. I realized the other day that I don't own a single M rated game. It's not that I'm anti-violence; I just can't get into really violent games. I tried playing GTA 3 and Half Life 2 a couple of years back and they really stressed me out, which overpowered any fun that I could have had."

This. I've tried Half-life 2 and didn't like it for the reason that killing people wasn't very fun. I don't have an objection to (well-designed) violence though.

"F-Zero GX"

Can't find it. I DID look for it, but nowhere ever has it.

"Donkey Kong Country 2"

What is DKC like?

"Super Mario RPG"

Own it. Awesome game; Paper Mario improved on it though.

"Starfox 64"

I'm going to wait for a Wii Starfox. If none appear, then yes. SF64 was the very first game I played (at a friend's house a LONG time ago), but it was too hard then so I chose Mario Kart instead and got an N64+MK64 as my first console.

....Didn't like Zack and Wiki? I... I have to think about this

I still recommend Kirby Super Star Ultra, though. It is the definitive Kirby experience.

Around the Network
Soleron said:

"Donkey Kong Country 2"

What is DKC like?

It's a 2-D platformer series, along the lines of Mario but with its own unique flavor. It's part of what made Rareware RARE, back in the day. (I miss that Rare...).

Here's a youtube video of one level, that has links to others. See if it's for you. I highly recommend it. Not the greatest game ever, but it is a fantastic platformer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akDQhp3lOBc

Did you play any Wario Land games?

Soleron said:
"F-Zero GX"

Oh, and if you can't get GX, X is a great substitute (it's on VC). Some folks actually prefer it over GX. I think they're crazy, though.

noname2200 said:
Soleron said:
"F-Zero GX"

Oh, and if you can't get GX, X is a great substitute (it's on VC). Some folks actually prefer it over GX. I think they're crazy, though.

I have it. The graphics sucked, even worse than the SNES F-Zero. The feeling of "speed" evidently got lost in the 10 years since it was released. There is no gameplay depth either. GX is better, right?

Soleron said:
noname2200 said:
Soleron said:

I have it. The graphics sucked, even worse than the SNES F-Zero. The feeling of "speed" evidently got lost in the 10 years since it was released. There is no gameplay depth either. GX is better, right?

In my opinion? Much. Again though, some disagree.