By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What was the hardest Zelda game of all time?

All right someone explain the "strategy" behind fighting the knights in that game

I need to hear it because I hate them

Around the Network

I had the most trouble with Links Awakening. >>;

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Zelda II for the NES. Anyone who says otherwise is plain and simple wrong.

No chance.  I can beat this game in like 6 hours.  When I was a kid, I used to race one of my buddies to see who could beat it the fastest.  We raced many times.

I'd say Ocarina of Time was the most difficult.  Although I never played Majora's Mask.

largedarryl said:
I love the complaints about the knights in Zelda II, that is one of the elements I wish they would translate into the newer Zelda's. They actually required skill and patience to defeat them, they were like mini-puzzles every time you met one, only making it worse by the fact they could continually get better as the game went on, damn blue knights with their throwing swords.

The last boss was hard because you needed to defeat him before your jump spell ran out.

Not to mention all the ghost levels, graveyard and the one with the bridge with randomly appearing ghosts (try to jump a gap and a ghost appears and knocks you into a hole).

Not even mentioning the last dungeon, but the path to the last dungeon is a game in on itself. Starting with with the giant fence moving onto the lava that contained so many narrow paths you had to fight enemies constantly. This even before you managed to make it to the last dungeon.

Anyone even remember the surprising statue knights that would appear and always take away your full health before starting a dungeon.

I must agree with Claude here, anyone that doesn't think Zelda II is the hardest is wrong.

The knights actually had a huge flaw in their design that made them simple. Jump then stab on the way down. works every time.

If you ran into one of these, you just left the dungeon and came back, tried again and got a red bottle.

Actually, most the things that made this game hard had an exploit, but even with the exploits, the game was freaking hard.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

nordlead said:

The knights actually had a huge flaw in their design that made them simple. Jump then stab on the way down. works every time.

If you ran into one of these, you just left the dungeon and came back, tried again and got a red bottle.

Actually, most the things that made this game hard had an exploit, but even with the exploits, the game was freaking hard.

I used to fight the knights over and over at some castles for experience.  If you fought the knights 10 times, you'd get experience 5 of those times and red bottles the other 5.

I'm telling you, I beat this game tens of times when I was a little kid and in only a few hours.  I think Ocarina of time was harder.  Hell, the water temple by itself was harder than this entire game.  Although try as I may, I bet I couldn't remember the correct path to get the hammer now.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
All right someone explain the "strategy" behind fighting the knights in that game

The best strategy to fight them was to hit them at the maximum distance away from your sword.  Since your sword had a minor reach advantage.  So if you managed to always time your first swing with the knight advance you could keep the distance.  The other strategy I needed to use against the blue knights (since their distance attack would severely screw you up), was to always perform the counter swing, that you would never be when you both swing at the same time.

As for the high low stuff, I always seemed more succesful by swing and ducking at the same time, although some of the later knights were pretty quick and just required more patience.

Fighting 2 knights in front of you was really hard and was nearly impossible to not get hit, but you need to try to use my first technique mentioned to keep you fighting only one at a time.

Now when you managed to get in between 2 knights, just try to get out of there.

TheBigFatJ said:

I used to fight the knights over and over at some castles for experience.  If you fought the knights 10 times, you'd get experience 5 of those times and red bottles the other 5.

I'm telling you, I beat this game tens of times when I was a little kid and in only a few hours.  I think Ocarina of time was harder.  Hell, the water temple by itself was harder than this entire game.  Although try as I may, I bet I couldn't remember the correct path to get the hammer now.

And I'll never understand how anyone would say Ocarina of Time was hard. I beat the entire game with the broken goron sword and 3 hearts. The water temple had a semi-tough water level puzzle, but it wasn't that hard.

EDIT: oh, and I refused to use lockon on that playthough too

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy

largedarryl said:
Khuutra said:

The best strategy to fight them was to hit them at the maximum distance away from your sword.  Since your sword had a minor reach advantage.  So if you managed to always time your first swing with the knight advance you could keep the distance.  The other strategy I needed to use against the blue knights (since their distance attack would severely screw you up), was to always perform the counter swing, that you would never be when you both swing at the same time.

As for the high low stuff, I always seemed more succesful by swing and ducking at the same time, although some of the later knights were pretty quick and just required more patience.

Fighting 2 knights in front of you was really hard and was nearly impossible to not get hit, but you need to try to use my first technique mentioned to keep you fighting only one at a time.

Now when you managed to get in between 2 knights, just try to get out of there.

actually, my favorite blue-knight strategy was to push them off the edge of the screen so you could just walk by.

But if that wasn't an option, jump stabbing still works.

But if you are going to play fair, both your suggestions sound good

@OP

you should have put "other than Zelda 2" because to be honest that's just the obviously answer for those who have played all.

I would go with the Legend of Zelda (nes) in terms of getting EVERYTHING.

I mean seriously you have to candle every tree and bomb every wall in that game.

Then I would go with MM cuz that time thing really tripped me out...in a good way.

I'm amazed all you guys played Zelda II. You're hardcore!

The hardest Zelda I played is probably Majora's Mask.