By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony: Motorstorm Pacific Rift hits over a million sold

stof said:
Alright people. Lets establish some common ground here.

1. Sony's original Motorstorm currently sits at 3.67 million sales. That makes it a highly successful game (yes I know there were some bundles, no that doesn't change that it was a very successful game)

2. Sony is stating that Pacific Rift shipped one million copies to retail.

3. It is not in any way unreasonable to think that heading in to Christmas season with a larger user-base, retailers around the world might order one million copies of a sequel to a game that moved over 3.67 units.

4. Pacific Rift charted quite poorly in not just VGchartz, but also NPD and all the European charts as well.

5. It is not in any way unreasonable to assume that a sequel might not do nearly as well as it's predecessor. Especially when it's predecessor came at a time when there was relatively few quality software releases.

So why is there an uproar over the idea that perhaps the game hasn't sold nearly what it has shipped?

so a game that had ONE NPD appearance (199k) , sold 50k in Japan, and has had a few appearances only in the U.K top-40 below the 20th position has sold almost 4 million copies ? Almost as much as the original gears that had 3 appearances in the npd top-10( 1 million - 850k- 230k), debuted at n.1 in every european chart and was at the U.K top-10 for 8 weeks in the christmas season??

Around the Network
Deviation59 said:
stof said:

So why is there an uproar over the idea that perhaps the game hasn't sold nearly what it has shipped?

It all comes down to the extreme nature of the disparity in numbers. The idea that 750,000 copies of the game are sitting on shelves just seems ridiculous to me.

For me it's the fact that I don't believe retailers would have ordered that many copies.

Retailers order by demand. Retailers guess demand by preorders. Preorders are usually picked up first week. First week sales werent impressive. Preorders probably werent impressive.

On top of that the first game sold 3.67 mil with bundles with budget re-release and in 2 years. The first game didn't sell EXTRORDINARILY WELL to make retailers believe the second would be a smash hit.

BWT - when did this report come out? Because people are saying 240k according to VGchartz but if it came out this week VGchartz needs to update a SW list to see how far away it is. (BTW - I think it could be around 300k with those... and did PR release in Japan yet? no data for it. and that could quite possibly mean a slight under tracking of the game and I think 7k a week in a region is resonably off)

Wow, looks like Motorstorm is outselling Little Big Planet.
If you beleive the PR that is.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Tyrannical said:

AWESOME I'VE BEEN WAITING TO SEE LBP ANNOUNCEMENT ON SALES! YOU MUST OF THE LINK TO IT RIGHT.... oh you don't.... shucks. (BTW you can't say that until someone says something about LBP)

Around the Network

Ownage.

Max King of the Wild said:
Deviation59 said:
stof said:

It all comes down to the extreme nature of the disparity in numbers. The idea that 750,000 copies of the game are sitting on shelves just seems ridiculous to me.

For me it's the fact that I don't believe retailers would have ordered that many copies.

Retailers order by demand. Retailers guess demand by preorders. Preorders are usually picked up first week. First week sales werent impressive. Preorders probably werent impressive.

On top of that the first game sold 3.67 mil with bundles with budget re-release and in 2 years. The first game didn't sell EXTRORDINARILY WELL to make retailers believe the second would be a smash hit.

If you don't think a new ip selling 3.67 million on a console user base not even up to 18 million NOW, let alone when the game was released, then yes, I guess I can see where you're coming from. But to me that's pretty damn impressive sales, and there'd be plenty of reason to believe that the sequel would build on and surpass that sales level.

It would be wrong, but there was still plenty of reason to believe it.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

^ read my second post.

Tyrannical said:

AWESOME I'VE BEEN WAITING TO SEE LBP ANNOUNCEMENT ON SALES! YOU MUST OF THE LINK TO IT RIGHT.... oh you don't.... shucks. (BTW you can't say that until someone says something about LBP)

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=12390

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Tyrannical said:
Tyrannical said:

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=12390

Lol... so you are going with Shipped for MSPR but sold with LBP.... funny.